Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: QB78 bulk air build
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 pm 

What would be the speed difference on a full power stock QB78S with a 1100psi and a 850psi regulator? Going to go high pressure air I think. Gun on 2- 12g CO2 presently shoots 650FPS. Got the bulk air fitting coming from the forum store. Plan on leaving tank tethered to the gun. Likely begin with just a hand pump.

CHEERS!

Post subject: Re: QB78 bulk air build
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm 

It'll make quite a difference I think. That's 177?
Even the 850psi regulator should bump up the velocity a bit to 700fps maybe, and the 1100 should get you another 100fps, but I'm guessing now as I haven't had a 177 version. I'd recommend taking out the fiber filter to save problems later. Replacing the rubber port with something a little bigger would help too if you aren't happy with what you get for velocity.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
It'll make quite a difference I think. That's 177?
Even the 850psi regulator should bump up the velocity a bit to 700fps maybe, and the 1100 should get you another 100fps, but I'm guessing now as I haven't had a 177 version. I'd recommend taking out the fiber filter to save problems later. Replacing the rubber port with something a little bigger would help too if you aren't happy with what you get for velocity.

Yes on the .177. I am happy with 600-650FPS but 700FPS is ok. Don't want it faster for my shooting range. Range master might shut me down if it is to loud. She has tender ears and don't want to wear ear plugs. :rolleyes:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 pm 

850psi HPA will shoot a little faster than CO2 at the same pressure (maybe 700fps?). 1100psi around 800fps?

Edit: looks like I was late to the party...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 pm 

987654321 wrote:
850psi HPA will shoot a little faster than CO2 at the same pressure (maybe 700fps?). 1100psi around 800fps?

Edit: looks like I was late to the party...

I appreciate all help in my new indever into this new experience. Starting slow. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:33 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Got the bulk air fitting coming from the forum store.

Hey there, i have a couple questions regarding the bulk air fitting that can maybe be answered in this thread.

Im wondering if i can use the fitting to fill the main tube of my qb78 with air directly with a hand pump? If so what would i need to do this safely, as in monitoring how much pressure has been pumped into the gun. Also curious if anyone knows approximately how many shots id get with the tube filled to about the same pressure as co2.... its a 177 cal gun.

Im not interested in getting more power from the gun im just looking for ways to cut my reliance on co2 and get more consistent velocities in cold weather.

Any info is appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:58 pm 

You can safely fill your tube to 1500psi and with a hand pump up to 1800psi. Be careful not to go over 1800psi.
If you keep it stock otherwise you'll probably be shooting around 700fps or so, depending on the pellets and whether it is a PAL rated gun in co2 or not. You won't get a pile of consistent shots, maybe 10-15? If you detuned it to keep it around 500fps, by trimming down your hammer spring or putting in a lighter spring, (and if it's pal rated, swapping the port for a smaller one), then you should get around 40-50 consistent shots. If you aren't adding an auxiliary tank and using air, it'll be more useful as a low power gun imo.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:37 pm 

Sevensson wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:

Hey there, i have a couple questions regarding the bulk air fitting that can maybe be answered in this thread.

Im wondering if i can use the fitting to fill the main tube of my qb78 with air directly with a hand pump? If so what would i need to do this safely, as in monitoring how much pressure has been pumped into the gun. Also curious if anyone knows approximately how many shots id get with the tube filled to about the same pressure as co2.... its a 177 cal gun.

Im not interested in getting more power from the gun im just looking for ways to cut my reliance on co2 and get more consistent velocities in cold weather.

The fitting from the forum store I got you would have to keep the tank attached to the gun. So no you can not fill the gun with a hand pump directly. Fill a tank and leave it attached. I think this is what you are asking. Want no tank that is a PCP or a different fitting. CHEERS!

Last edited by wheeliehd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:45 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
You can safely fill your tube to 1500psi and with a hand pump up to 1800psi. Be careful not to go over 1800psi.
If you keep it stock otherwise you'll probably be shooting around 700fps or so, depending on the pellets and whether it is a PAL rated gun in co2 or not. You won't get a pile of consistent shots, maybe 10-15? If you detuned it to keep it around 500fps, by trimming down your hammer spring or putting in a lighter spring, (and if it's pal rated, swapping the port for a smaller one), then you should get around 40-50 consistent shots. If you aren't adding an auxiliary tank and using air, it'll be more useful as a low power gun imo.
Regards,
Wes

Thanks for the quick response Wes. the gun in question is shooting just under 500fps on co2 and i have no problem detuning it for air if necessary to get more shots, im using it for short range field target (inside 100 feet) so consistent shots are more important than powerful ones... so can i simply screw a male foster fitting (assuming my pump has a female fitting) into the bulk fill adapter in question and im good to go?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:50 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Sevensson wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:

The fitting from the forum store I got you would have to keep the tank attached to the gun. So no you can not fill the gun with a hand pump directly. Fill a tank and leave it attached. I think this is what you are asking. Want no tank that is a PCP or a different fitting. CHEERS!

Thanks for the response, yes im looking for a way to easily and directly fill the main tube... ive definitely seen guys do it online i just cant remember how lol but thank you, ill keep looking :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:56 pm 

Not to sure this is the gun for that. In my research before I even bought the gun their is very few that went there. Every site I went to they were no longer available or from the US that I refuse to buy from now with my shop Canada attitude till someone leaves office. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:00 pm 

Sevensson wrote:
[

I have never had consistent velocity with this method. Here is a test I did a few years ago @ .177 non-PAL no hammer mods. Target was shot indoors from a rest at 15 yards. You can see the poi drops steadily, although the first 30 shots are not too bad. Rife was tuned to be non-PAL on CO2; it shoots around 520 fps with 850 psi HPA tethered, and is very consistent using that method. YMMV.
Attachment:
1-30.JPG
1-30.JPG [ 105.03 KiB | Viewed 1090 times ]

Attachment:
31-60.JPG
31-60.JPG [ 96.22 KiB | Viewed 1090 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Every site I went to they were no longer available or from the US that I refuse to buy from now with my shop Canada attitude till someone leaves office. CHEERS!

I definitely agree with your shop canafian attitude!... i might try tethering a tank to see how i like it :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:25 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Sevensson wrote:
[

I have never had consistent velocity with this method. Here is a test I did a few years ago @ .177 non-PAL no hammer mods. Target was shot indoors from a rest at 15 yards. You can see the poi drops steadily, although the first 30 shots are not too bad. Rife was tuned to be non-PAL on CO2; it shoots around 520 fps with 850 psi HPA tethered, and is very consistent using that method.

That is really helpful and interesting info man, thanks a lot. Might try a tethered tank to see how i like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:27 pm 

Dukemeister's numbers says it all. Then I figure I am almost there when I decide to got to full PCP. Baby Steps! :lol: CHEERS!