Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Shooting army men
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 am 

I used to amuse myself by filling playmobil figure's heads with red paint, not sure the hairpiece is detachable on the modern ones.

It made for some interesting high speed footage: https://youtu.be/SShjSUakUII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:29 am 

An activity I can't wait to do with my son when he's a bit older. Give him his first pellet gun and all. Will skip the BB gun thing all together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm 

I find it depends on the material they are made from. I have some brittle plastic ones that break apart and tend to be one time use and some that have a more rubberized texture that withstand many hits.

I prefer the blast apart ones. More dramatic but also more clean up..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 pm 

At 960fps with 10.5gr. Crossman RN's, my BT65 Hatsan was sticking the steel chickens and turkeys into the donnaconna that was in front of the steel plates
at our indoor range, when shooting indoor silhouette.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:50 pm 

this forum will be the financial ruin of me yet....
beyond the guns,

now it's army men...
then a high speed camera for some great slo-mo video.....
and a nice stable tripod....
another nice camera for the off-angle shand
and a(nother) nice stable tripod.....
edit: off-angle 'shot'..
and lights! gotta have the right lights....

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

Last edited by Leon Yrag on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
this forum will be the financial ruin of me yet....
beyond the guns,

now it's army men...
then a high speed camera for some great slo-mo video.....
and a nice stable tripod....
another nice camera for the off-angle shand .....
and a(nother) nice stable tripod.....

and lights! gotta have the right lights....

LOL.... I wish I had a high speed. I tried to slow down my video to try and see the pellet impact.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 am 

The Casio Exilim series have reasonably good high speed performance and since they're getting a bit old now you can find them relatively cheap on eBay, the EX-FC100 that I have for example will set you back around $200. The EX-F1 has the best resolution but it's also the most expensive of the series.

Here is a 0.22" pellet penetrating two spaced steel sheets filmed at 420 frames per second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAoi5zmHO0E

The second segment is slowed down even further using video editing software, you can perceive the delay between the two penetrations.

At 1000 frames per second the resolution isn't great and you need very good lighting, but you can still capture some reasonable action:

0.177" lead pellet flattening against a hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXxzrUwiEjs

flame front propagation in a transparent butane/air powered tennis ball launcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en8NnW7TIus

12g CO2 capsule fired as a projectile through a soup tin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WdJQCZzTM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:43 pm 

PZAM wrote:
The Casio Exilim series have reasonably good high speed performance and since they're getting a bit old now you can find them relatively cheap on eBay, the EX-FC100 that I have for example will set you back around $200. The EX-F1 has the best resolution but it's also the most expensive of the series.

Here is a 0.22" pellet penetrating two spaced steel sheets filmed at 420 frames per second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAoi5zmHO0E

The second segment is slowed down even further using video editing software, you can perceive the delay between the two penetrations.

At 1000 frames per second the resolution isn't great and you need very good lighting, but you can still capture some reasonable action:

0.177" lead pellet flattening against a hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXxzrUwiEjs

flame front propagation in a transparent butane/air powered tennis ball launcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en8NnW7TIus

12g CO2 capsule fired as a projectile through a soup tin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WdJQCZzTM

I got a LG G3 phone, that apparently does 120fps in HD...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

120 frames per second is OK for something like tennis but for airgun velocities you want more to really capture what's happening. Many modern smartphones can do 960 frames per second, the disadvantage is that they can only capture a very short time interval, usually less than a second of real time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 pm 

I have been using a LG G5 for some time and recorded some short videos about shooting objects...

Never noticed it can take slow motions..... Stupid me...

For the super high frame rate recording, if just about a second is useless except you got two ppl, one to shoot and one to control the recording...

I usually start the recording first then get back to the gun and shoot, including aiming etc, at least about 10 seconds to be 'wasted'...

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 pm 

PZAM wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

120 frames per second is OK for something like tennis but for airgun velocities you want more to really capture what's happening. Many modern smartphones can do 960 frames per second, the disadvantage is that they can only capture a very short time interval, usually less than a second of real time.

Yeah I'm not a tech, or phone guy, and from my testing... FAIL.

I thought I had everything right. Lights, white backing etc... I really wanted to see that pellet hit the arm..In this case, the grenade he was about to throw. P17 with the 2x20 sight deadly accurate at 25 ft.

https://youtu.be/u9brJaJ9vcQ?list=UUlDa ... vwz6OcEKHQ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 am 

PZAM wrote:
I used to amuse myself by filling playmobil figure's heads with red paint, not sure the hairpiece is detachable on the modern ones.

It made for some interesting high speed footage: https://youtu.be/SShjSUakUII

Thats so kool :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm 

My town has a big military training base here. Not something I would tell my military friends I do. "I shoot soldiers heads off with pellet guns." I don't think they would find that comical for some reason. My army men are green and just how the Canadians showed up in the desert in Iraq back when. Shoot any green bush you see. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:40 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
My town has a big military training base here. Not something I would tell my military friends I do. "I shoot soldiers heads off with pellet guns." I don't think they would find that comical for some reason. My army men are green and just how the Canadians showed up in the desert in Iraq back when. Shoot any green bush you see. :lol:

Considering I served 12 years in the Infantry and in Afghanistan.. Dad was over in 2010. We talk about some dark stuff.

Do you realize how dark our humor is? By our, I mean Infantry humor. We often get banned from FB because of it. I don't think they would get offended by shooting Green army men, since we all done it as a kid. Only CSOR really operated in Iraq other then some supply people, you must mean Afghanistan?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:16 am 

....So, if you want to shy away from army men (infantry) you can do what I do......Buy small, light coloured stuffed animals at the Dollar Store or any thrift store,.....cut a small slit in the 'fabric' and insert a ketchup (catsup) pack from a fast food place ....I back the ketchup packet with a small piece of stiff cardboard and secure the 'stuffy' so it can't fly off...Those Coca-Cola polar bears were great............a new take on shoot'n see targets..........