Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm 

I've had my pp700 for a week or two now, and after adjusting the OEM regulator and hammer spring it's a pretty decent shooter. From 160bar-85bar it shoots around 440-460fps. If I fill to 220 bar, my shot string starts around 410 fps and slowly climbs from there. The OEM regulator does creep if I let it sit, or after filling.

For plinking at shorter ranges, it's already pretty perfect. BUT, this airgun addiction being what it is, I ordered a Huma reg before my pp700 even shipped.

The regulator arrived today (less than 2 weeks direct from Huma) and I'm pumped to get working on it.

The reg is designed for 85-150bar, I'm fairly confident that 100 bar will put me in the ballpark? I've read some numbers online, but I'm not sure if our Canadian versions have been detuned beyond the regulator and hammer spring adjustment. Is the tranfer port smaller in either the valve or the breech block?

I'm hoping for 90ish shots around 460fps with a 220 bar fill.

I haven't removed the valve to look, but others have modded them similar to a Hatsan valve (plugging the holes that don't line up with the tranfer port). Anyone have an educated guess on what effects this might have on efficiency? If it's only going to net me a handful more shots I won't bother, but I'd imagine it could make a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm 

Also, has anyone measured the plenum on these things?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm 

The first batch of pp700sa I ordered had a smaller hole in the flip over breech block but the 22 at least in the new batch have a big hole.
Closing off those holes in the valve had the purpose of increasing power I thought, but I suppose it could/would increase the efficiency as well. It'll be interesting to see your results!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 am 

Got the Huma reg installed. Didn't remove anything from the OEM reg, just cranked down the adjustment screw to bypass it.

Won't be able to chrony it until tomorrow, but my gut tells me 100 bar was way too high for <500fps

The good news is that it's a 5 minute job to pull the new reg out of the tube to reset it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm 

85 bar setpoint got me about 85 shots between 470-490 fps with 14.3's. Dropped it to 80 bar and 460ish fps to keep things kosher.

Haven't had a chance to check for creep yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:00 pm 

Pretty sure you’re not going to see any creep unless you forgot to install the provided o ring . 85 shots at 490 is just about perfect . I went the other route , set it to 110 bar and adjusted the velocity to 460 this is well below the peak . This was I’m conserving air to make it more efficient . This is in .25 cal but should apply to the .22 just the same .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm 

This is true, good thinking, turning it up a bit and tuning down the velocity for the 25. Should sip air and give lots of shots in 22 or 177 too, and have less pumping to do to fill it back up. I wonder though with 22 or 177 if it may cause the velocity to go too high once it gets below 110 bar? Might be safer for those calibers to stick to the 85 bar.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:48 pm 

Ya, that's ultimately why I dropped the pressure... At 100 bar setpoint, it would go from 460ish to 530ish fps once the pressure dropped.

I've settled at an 85bar tune for now, and I can confirm there's no creep after a couple days of sitting.

The barrel seems to love every pellet I've tried. Even cheapo cphp are more accurate than I am.

The trigger's still a little stiff to break, but I've only put a couple tins through it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 pm 

Even at 85 bar and 480 fps, that still keeps me almost 100 fps below the plateau. Not ideal for consistency, but I do want to keep the bark to a minimum.