Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:28 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU9wtC-1XfQ

Daryl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:53 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Daryl

Plenty of AR10 style non restricted rifles in Canada. Modern Hunter been around 5 years, BCL 102 copied the MH, and made their own. Been around couple years. Formerly NEA.

ATRS Modern Hunter ( Canadian Made )
BCL 102 ( Canadian Made )
Stag 10 ( US Made )

Though Stag 10 mainly came in as a upper and lower, and was NR as long as you complied to the 18.5" barrel and 26" OAL,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:50 pm 

Hope they stay that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:43 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Daryl

Plenty of AR10 style non restricted rifles in Canada. Modern Hunter been around 5 years, BCL 102 copied the MH, and made their own. Been around couple years. Formerly NEA.

Stag 10 ( US Made )

Though Stag 10 mainly came in as a upper and lower, and was NR as long as you complied to the 18.5" barrel and 26" OAL,

Which is fine. If you want big kinetic energy in a carbine length or shorter form factor a shotgun would probably be better for most cases. Nice to have some ar10 NR alternatives. Hunters must love it. I'm always entertaining in my head to put together build. Not sure what I would use it for but seems like fun. I would have to find a new range though. 300 yards is not suffice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Daryl

Stag 10 ( US Made )

Which is fine. If you want big kinetic energy in a carbine length or shorter form factor a shotgun would probably be better for most cases. Nice to have some ar10 NR alternatives. Hunters must love it. I'm always entertaining in my head to put together build. Not sure what I would use it for but seems like fun. I would have to find a new range though. 300 yards is not suffice.

Shotgun have their own season than rifles. Well you wouldn't be able to hunt with this rifle, if it had a barrel less than 18.5". For a semi auto rifle to be non restricted it needs to be 26" OAL and have a barrel greater than 18.5".. Any less and it would be restricted.. My M1 carbine is restricted since it only has a 18" barrel. I'll install a 18.5 and becomes NR.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 am 

Ah, seasonal use only not necessarily overlapping. I'm no hunter that's for certain. Doesn't everyone in Canada just use an sks if they want a larger calibre semi? I'm kidding. A ar10 variant in carbine length would be damn cool as hunting firearm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:27 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
My M1 carbine is restricted since it only has a 18" barrel. I'll install a 18.5 and becomes NR.

I feel that it's important to point out that this statement is not true. Taking this statement at face value could land someone a criminal record.

If your M1 carbine is in fact restricted, then it must also be registered as such. A barrel that meets non-restricted length requirements has no bearing on that particular firearms restricted classification. All you've done is modified a registered restricted firearm to have a longer barrel, and that alone does not change its classification from restricted to non-restricted. You could install a ten foot barrel and it would still be classified and registered as a restricted firearm. This is the case until such time that you inform the authorities that you made the change and wish to have the firearm reclassified as non-restricted and deregistered.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall.

Last edited by mclmm on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:44 pm 

mclmm wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
My M1 carbine is restricted since it only has a 18" barrel. I'll install a 18.5 and becomes NR.

I feel that it's important to point out that this statement is not true. Taking this statement at face value could land someone a criminal record.

If your M1 carbine is in fact restricted, then it must also be registered as such. A barrel that meets non-restricted length requirements has no bearing on that particular firearms restricted classification. All you've done is modified a registered restricted firearm to have a longer barrel, and that alone does not change its classification from restricted to non-restricted. You could install a ten foot barrel and it would still be classified and registered as a restricted firearm. This is the case until such time that you inform the authorities that you made the change and wish to have the firearm reclassified as non-restricted and deregistered.

You're wrong. If I install a 18.5" barrel on my M1 Carbine, I can send it to a gun shop, have them verify it. And if they say its a 18.5" barrel? Have it de registered as a restricted firearm. It becomes a Non Restricted. Because it meets the requirement for a non restricted firearm. Many have.. It's just is it worth 300$?

I never said it automatically becomes NR.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:06 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
You're wrong. If I install a 18.5" barrel on my M1 Carbine, I can send it to a gun shop, have them verify it. And if they say its a 18.5" barrel? Have it de registered as a restricted firearm. It becomes a Non Restricted. Because it meets the requirement for a non restricted firearm. Many have.. It's just is it worth 300$?

I'm not wrong whatsoever. What you just wrote is entirely different than your first statement. Here is, verbatim, what you initially wrote:

leadslinger wrote:

Notice anything different between your two assertions? If you don't, then please explain how it "becomes NR" by simply installing an 18.5" barrel.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:41 pm 

mclmm wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I'm not wrong whatsoever. What you just wrote is entirely different than your first statement. Here is, verbatim, what you initially wrote:

leadslinger wrote:

Notice anything different between your two assertions? If you don't, then please explain how it "becomes NR" by simply installing an 18.5" barrel.

Yes I made a mistake. Okay I apologize. I should have said. Ability to become non restricted. Happy? Ive been with firearms 15 + years, I know it isn't matter of just switching barrel and poof. But it can be de registered.

But I highly doubt someone here will be like I got a M1 carbine Im going to do it because so in so said. So I really don't see any harm in what I said.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:01 am 

Norinco was thinking about producing a AR10. If they price it right, it might be interesting.