Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:00 pm 

I vaguely recall reading about pressurizing the inlet of a pcp hand pump to reduce the number of pump strokes needed to fill a tank. Anyone have any info on this, maybe some plans or advice on how to go about it. I believe the inlet pressures were around 50-100 psi, but memory fades..
Thanks, :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
I vaguely recall reading about pressurizing the inlet of a pcp hand pump to reduce the number of pump strokes needed to fill a tank. Anyone have any info on this, maybe some plans or advice on how to go about it. I believe the inlet pressures were around 50-100 psi, but memory fades..
Thanks, :drinkers:

Oh boosting a hand pump.. I think the pressure was much lower. like 20 PSI.

But it involved capping off one side of the handle, and putting a 1/4 I/M fitting on another. AV G6 or similar handle intake ones. I tried on my AV G6 used 1/2" NPT plug and adapter. But your better off making a new handle. One with the proper size ID for the 1/2 NPT. Since it was a PITA to tap and such. And looked like crap.

This is one for a Benjamin.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... ic=69190.0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:06 am 

That's the one, thanks. I'll try it on my Benji pump since it looks straightforward.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 am 

Keep us updated this is interesting I did not read the original post about this mob.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:01 pm 

Guess if you don't already own a compressor and buy the fittings at what point do you just buy a cheap high pressure compressor. I can not see it being good for a hand pump. But it is interesting. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:19 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Guess if you don't already own a compressor and buy the fittings at what point do you just buy a cheap high pressure compressor. I can not see it being good for a hand pump. But it is interesting. CHEERS!

Think of it, as turbocharging it.. More air to compress, less pumping you need to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:07 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:

Think of it, as turbocharging it.. More air to compress, less pumping you need to do.

Yes, Read a lot about it this morning in which lead me to a place where they said if you cut a spring to cut a top off a CO2 caplet and stick it on the end of cut spring at the front. So I opened my spring gun and turned the spring around and installed the caplet end. I am going to quit reading from now on. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:26 pm 

Well version 1 was not productive, it involved hooking up the car tire pump to the water filter; I didn't expect it to do much so expectations were met. However, proof of concept in that nothing blew apart at 20 psi which is the maximum pressure it would build. Next I have to work on achieving volume so an air tank is required. On the cheap I may try a car tire filled to 30psi and see what happens. I need a schrader to schrader female line to do that.
I found out that a schrader thread was 0.302"x32 - approximated it with a M8x1.25 and that worked for the connection between the tire pump and air filter. Stay tuned for version 2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:13 pm 

I tink what you need is a reservoir to hold the air so you have some volume when the hand pump is ready to take it. I also believe you need to ditch the filter you have and get a larger/stronger/better one Even if you don't use this boost system you need a better filter b/c there is simply too much water to collect.
If I were to do this I'd use my little bitty 120V air comp that holds like one gallon. You'd need to get a regulator w/ gauge that goes to the inlet of the gun. The little 1/4" quick connect fittings use for under the sink RO water systems are sweet, cheap, much less likely to leak and as the name implies; quick to connect or disconnect so I really like them.
So the air would go like this; elect pump to tank (it's own or something you make), then air/water filter, then reg, then your hand pump.
The reg is needed to adj the air b/c how much air it can take depends on you, the pump and the gun psi its pumping into. Lets say filling a typical gun from it's low psi of say 2200 you can super charge the pump w/ 10psi. Then after a few pumps you'll have to drop to 9psi and so on until at 3kpsi your inlet boost is zero. I know with my gun and pump I can barely get 3kpsi using my body weight so I'd assume zero boost at 3k, and I'm estimating 10-11psi at 2200 would be equal pumping effort.
Once it's all said and done you'll have to figure out if it's worth all the setup and what not. I considered doing the same thing btw, but only thought about it for a bit when I realized; F this, I'm getting an elect pump, so I bought the Shoebox F12. I know, big $, but for me it was worth it b/c I do NOT like hand pumping!
Taking my gun from 2200 to 3k takes ~70 pumps. The above mod might reduce that to 50, but most of those 50 are harder so is it worth it? Now if you have a lower psi gun, like a 2kpsi a Discovery, then it would be worth it b/c a typical pump like mine works best closer to 3kpsi, so at 2k or less it's too easy (geared wrong) so I'd much rather have it pressurized. Even more so if pumping a gun from empty, then you could likely boost the pump >100psi to get the ball rollin.
So taking the air from ambient (~14-15psia) and double it to say 30psia which is ~15psig (psi you read on a typical gauge), you basically cut the gearing in half so you're moving twice as much air. Then you'd be at a perfect gear to pump at 1500psi. By perfect I mean the most air you can get yet you're still physically able to pump it. If the guns tank is at 750psi then you could super charge it to 45psig (60psia) and so on. So when the guns tank it empty you could give the hand pump a lot of psi, then as it becomes too hard to pump, like a bike, you simply change gears to less psi.
Oh, I have an air/water filter you may be interested in, will post later, gotta go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:33 pm 

Right, you talked me out of it! :lol:
:drinkers:
Been having fun tonight dry firing a QB78 HPA @850 psi with a balloon attacked to the muzzle...entertaining!
If I can figure out how to post a video I may make one for laughs, and start a thread "What dumb idea have to tried today?
BTW, even with the car tire pump plumbed right to the hand pump inlet, the pumping effort was noticeably harder and the HPA tank was not even up to 1000 psi.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:46 pm 

Maybe try something like this https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic75894.html. I tried the pressurized hand pump thing , did not work that well and I still had to hand pump, that drove me to building the RedNeck Pump haha.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:46 pm 

Laziness overcomes me...This is my solution:

Attachments:
13 cu in.jpg
13 cu in.jpg [ 77.56 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:57 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Been having fun tonight dry firing a QB78 HPA @850 psi with a balloon attacked to the muzzle...entertaining!
If I can figure out how to post a video I may make one for laughs, and start a thread "What dumb idea have to tried today?

Well maybe such a thread would be a bad idea:
Here is a quick video anyhow..videography obviously not one of my skills. :drinkers:
https://youtu.be/q5m8FcOC01A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 pm 

What does the balloon tell you? Wish my final part would come in. Went through 6 - CO2 caplets today. Down to 82 full ones now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:36 pm 

That my bolt probe seal is working good. See it inflate and stay full when the rifle is fired, and see t deflate when the bolt is pulled back.
I bought 40 caplets 7 yrs ago and still have a dozen left.