Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:04 pm 

I started shooting 10m pistol in my basement a couple of month ago with a 2240. A like it!
But I don't like CO2 cartridges: expensives, go to trash can after use, inconsistency of first and last shots of the cartridge.

I'd like to get your feedback about the best pistol I could get that would't use CO2 and would have a speed below 500 ft/s. I already own a PCP pump for my rifle, but I wouldn't exclude other technologies. I'd like to know what type of grouping at 10m I could get from each pistol without modification, reliability of the pistol, ... I try to find the best ratio of Accuracy and Reliability / Dollar.

SOME MODELS THAT COULD INTEREST ME:

V10 / FAS6004
They are supposed to be precision pistols, but I wasn't able to see a good grouping on reviews.
What grouping could I expect?
Reliability?

HW75 / HW45
Is it at same level than V10 / FAS6004?

PCP AFFORTABLE LIKE PP700SA / PP800
Not sure about grouping I could get...
And reliability...

PCP FOR PRECISION TARGET SHOOTING - ALPHA SPORT - AP20 PRO
Theorically, these would be the best for me. But expensive...

Thanks for your feed back!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:36 pm 

IMO, the Baikal IZH-46M is the best!

I didn't step into PCP, so I don't own and shoot those high end stuffs. So far the Izzy 46M is the best one in my collections ~

However, it would be very difficult to find one now a days....

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pm 

P17 pistol is a great choice for basement shooting. Fibre optic sights which are easy to see if you want open sights.The reddot that comes with the pistol is crap so just get the pistol. Reddot is to bright and takes up the whole dot you are trying to hit. I got 2 nice reddots from Amazon that have brightness control for $30 each. Pistols are only a little over $50. It will by you time to find one you want at a good price and get you away from CO2 Caplets. CHEERS!

I got fibre optic sights on my 2240 and love them. Only problem is I paid over half of the price of the gun for them. It is my holster gun for out in the bush. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:28 pm 

Thanks YepYep
Izh-46M looks like a great pistol, but difficult to find...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:02 pm 

you can try the pp800 from Wes, he had it with a regulator and had it for a good price, so far that's one of the cheapest option you can get into, He's trying to get the victor pistol too, that might be a good option.
topic82004.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:36 pm 

Jack99 wrote:
Thanks YepYep
Izh-46M looks like a great pistol, but difficult to find...
You are welcome ~

The most part I like about the Izzy 46M is its power, which rated 495fps and I got almost 490fps with 7g RWS R10 pellet.

It's much powerful than other non PCP match grade pistols (P17, HW40, HW75, FAS 6004 etc)...

For accuracy, I think you read many reviews already, and on the reviews you can find ppl said it's difficult to have a competitor can over come its hammer-forged barrel... So no need to doubt its accuracy performance...

It's a must have gun if you are interested on this and get one once you still can... And don't let go ~ It's very reliable, very durable, 'a Russian tank'...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:47 pm 

pistolero wrote:
you can try the pp800 from Wes, he had it with a regulator and had it for a good price, so far that's one of the cheapest option you can get into, He's trying to get the victor pistol too, that might be a good option.
topic82004.html

What type of grouping could you get from a PP800 regulated/unregulated at 10m benchrest?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 pm 

Well we'll see. Hopefully some buyers will start chiming in on their groups =)
I know it's co2 cousin has some really accurate barrels, just depends if you get a good one.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm 

If you are serious about ISSF style shooting, I suggest you consider a pistol with which you can grow, such as made by Steyr, Walther, Tesro, etc. They are very expensive, but you will own a near perfect gun. Working your way up to such a product as your experience grows, ends up being more expensive. I own a Steyr LP 10, I have put 40,000 rounds through it, it performs as on day one, and I always know poor shooting results are my problem, not that of the pistol. I assure you, as your shooting skills improve you will get more ambitious!

I also own a Weihrauch HW40 on which I mounted a Hawke red dot sight. With this kit I get close to the scores I get with the Steyr, within 2 to 4%. The pistol is light, but that problem is lessened by the weight of the red dot sight. This is also a very reliable pistol.

My Beeman P17 is an accurate enough shooter. If your main interest is precision shooting rather than fiddling around with the pistol to keep it working...well,you get it, I would not recommend this gun to you.

I used to own a Weihrauch HW45. A great pistol, but meant for plinking. On the other hand, I have shot an HW75 and found it to be a good target shooter, similar to the HW40, but it feels better in the hand, as does the trigger action.

The Russian Izzy is a good target pistol, somewhat quirky perhaps. I found it to be too front heavy for my taste, otherwise it was o.k.

Good luck with your research, I always considered that to be part of the fun and took my time before committing to a product.

I hope this helps,

Ozzie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:24 pm 

Oh forgot to mention another great SSP for a serious 10m target shooting needs... The FWB Model 103, which the similar design as the Izzy 46M but would be better... And harder to get one right now...

But for the price of the 103, if you can find one, maybe switch to PCP is a better way?!

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 am 

1701-P by Crosman.

The Walther bbl on mine is very good. For an unregulated pcp, strings are surprisingly flat.
Trigger is one of the better ones- it's the p-rod trigger and adjustable.

Power can be adjusted by hammer spring tension, and stroke length.

Found mine is most comfortable at the set up point for moderate velocities, and modest airst air consumption. I did manage to get a few caliber sized groups out of it with the 8.2 gr Meisters. I am sure it was meant as an entry level target pistol for those that are slightly more than serious :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 am 

I’ve used and owned almost all the pistols mentioned so far. My personal experience is they’re all capable of very good groupings. Spending $1500-$2500 does not necessarily improve your groupings, practice will do that for you.
Hw40 was a little too light for me, hw75 too tall in the hand, fas6004 extremely comfortable but fairly low powered, but perfect for paper. The Crosman 1701p was decent, great accuracy, but still felt like a Crosman. The Izh46 was too heavy, balanced way forward near the muzzle. The Alpha Proj was very nice, but the standard ambi grips are sized for a very small hand that does not fit the average person, the one hand target grip was still a little small and not the most comfortable. Again, they all can produce excellent groups but it comes down to personal preference. I avoid all models designed for one handed competition now as I don’t compete and do not find them comfortable for casual shooting.

The best pistol for accuracy which I find comfortable to use is the HW44. Probably 100 shots per fill, regulated. Super consistent, one hole accuracy from the bench. Plus the added benefit of it being a repeater with mags. May be more than you want to spend, but if it’s an option I think D&L will likely get a couple more in soon. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am 

fishguy wrote:
I’ve used and owned almost all the pistols mentioned so far. My personal experience is they’re all capable of very good groupings. Spending $1500-$2500 does not necessarily improve your groupings, practice will do that for you.
Hw40 was a little too light for me, hw75 too tall in the hand, fas6004 extremely comfortable but fairly low powered, but perfect for paper. The Crosman 1701p was decent, great accuracy, but still felt like a Crosman. The Izh46 was too heavy, balanced way forward near the muzzle. The Alpha Proj was very nice, but the standard ambi grips are sized for a very small hand that does not fit the average person, the one hand target grip was still a little small and not the most comfortable. Again, they all can produce excellent groups but it comes down to personal preference. I avoid all models designed for one handed competition now as I don’t compete and do not find them comfortable for casual shooting.

The best pistol for accuracy which I find comfortable to use is the HW44. Probably 100 shots per fill, regulated. Super consistent, one hole accuracy from the bench. Plus the added benefit of it being a repeater with mags. May be more than you want to spend, but if it’s an option I think D&L will likely get a couple more in soon. Highly recommended.

Yup what he said. There has never been a perfect score carded in 10m pistol and it has not been due to inadequate equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm 

Shameful plug I know, but this thing will shoot one hole at 10 m all day. Is cheaper that a few of the guns mentioned too.

topic81879.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 pm 

Can the Webley Alecto/Zoraki HP-01 can still be found? It's big but accurate and not too heavy considering the size.
Avanti 747 can also be a good option at a good price.
I owned both and the FAS. You won't go wrong with them.

On the other hand I think the 1701P is my one of my favorite airguns overall and the one I shoot the most. I made a mini carbine with mine and can shoot it all day long.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun