Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 am 

offroad720 wrote:
Good post leadslinger, never a bad time to review this information. Thanks

Glad some are finding it interesting, and not taking it as a joke. Doctor called, I must limit my exposure to lead for 3 months. Till my next BLL. I avoided Chelation therapy this time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 am 

leadslinger wrote:
offroad720 wrote:
Good post leadslinger, never a bad time to review this information. Thanks

Glad some are finding it interesting, and not taking it as a joke. Doctor called, I must limit my exposure to lead for 3 months. Till my next BLL. I avoided Chelation therapy this time.

Never should be complacent on our health. Regardless of what current or past studies indicate I would rather error on the side of caution. Just because your body can handle the toxicity levels it doesn't mean you should cast aside all concern.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 pm 

I am not too concerned about lead exposure from handling and firing lead airgun pellets. I mine lead from the handgun backstop at my local range, melt and remove impurities, recast new handgun bullets, fire them at the range and repeat the process. When mining and cleaning the lead I wear disposable gloves and a respirator. When casting, I wear leather gloves and a respirator. When shooting airguns, I handle the pellets with bare hands; sometimes, I wash my hands afterwards. Once a year, I get my lead blood level (and fasting glucose and mercury levels) checked. The results for lead have always been under the recommended level.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 pm 

We just had our indoor range tested. Our indoor range in the past still contains
all the baffles and much of the lead shot into them for Rf and CF evening shooting
for the last 50 or more years.
This include air rifle shooting over the last almost 40 years or so, that no RF
or CF has been used indoors due to our exhaust fans not being
compatible with regulations of the 80's. Seems to me, the indoor range
was shut down for powder burning guns in the mid 1980's. I only shot there
a few times and I started at the club in Feb. 1979 when I moved to PG.
I am not going to reproduce the entire testing document, merely the summary.

Occupational and Hazardous Materials Consulting ServicesTable 1: Field Sample InformationSample IDSample TypeSample LocationAverageFlow Rate(L/min)SamplingDuration(min)TotalVolume(L)1363-L1Blank Quality Controln/an/an/a1363-L2AreaIndoor Firing Range -at the target plates 2.57288740.21363-L3AreaIndoor Firing Range -at the shooter tables2.53287726.11363-L4AreaClubhouse -Kitchen2.54286726.41363-L5AreaClubhouse -Entrance foyer / hallway2.54285716.3Note:“n/a” means not applicable for the field blank sample. Sampling ResultsLead in AirThe concentrations of total lead in the samples collected are presented in Table 2. The concentrations of lead in air analyzed for were belowthe applicable WorkSafeBC 8-hour Exposure Limits (EL). For review of the laboratory results, please refer to Appendix A
appears we're OK for now, being over 100 times lower than work-safe limits for 8 hour exposure.

L1Quality Control-------------------------<0.0020---------WORK-SAFE .051
L2Indoor Firing Range; at the target plates<0.00040--------WORK SAFE .051
L3Indoor Firing Range; at the shooter table<0.00040--------WORK SAFE .051
L4Clubhouse Kitchen---------------------<0.00040--------WORK SAFE .051
L5Clubhouse Entrance/ hallway-----------<0.00040--------WORK SAFE .051

When shooting air rifles, we have the exhaust fans running, of course, however even the higher powered
air rifles likely do not produce air-born lead dust, all being sub-sonic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:40 pm 

My experience is that both my QB78 and 1322 shed lead out the barrel. Crosman pellets are worse but also happens with JSB.
Here's what I mean by lead shedding and how I discovered it.

I have a basement 12m 'range' and I shoot into a rubber mulch trap. No problem there, just paper dust from the targets. The lead is collecting at the firing line and it is tiny to large particles that arte being shot out the end of the barrel after the pellet is gone. The tiny particles are dust. The large particles are flat flakes but about half the size of a grain of rice.

How I discovered it. I shoot standing from a tripod. I shoot over a folding table just beyond the firing line. The table collects junk. Once I had a large white plastic bag on the table. While shooting I could hear the sound of lead particles hitting the bag, like a 'tinkle, tinkle' sound. Think a few grains of sand being lightly tossed onto a plastic bag sound. I didn't here it every shot but more like one out of five. Upon inspection of the bag I found small and large lead particles building up on the bag after 60 shots. I could swipe my finger over it and collect shiny residue on my finger tip.

Later I taped a milk carton onto the end of the QB78 barrel and fired ten shots through it. The milk carton is white inside and it was easy to see many small 'dots' of dust and a few larger 'flakes' inside the milk carton. I now spread out a wall-to-wall white plastic tarp in front of my shooting tripod to collect the lead dust.

I encourage you to try this 'REAL LEAD DUST COLLECTOR' test with a milk carton.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 pm 

Thanks for the info Pushtone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:32 pm 

I used to shoot competitively at University of Western Ontario rifle and pistol club. Are used to shoot both Bullseye and pistol and rifle and then eventually got my black badge and was shooting IPSC. Also I was a range officer and ran the club on club nights twice a week. This was an indoor shooting range by the squash courts. I move to BC and left the club. About a month after I left Ontario to move to BC I got a frantic call from club member saying that they were being closed with no warning by the chancellor.
I’ve always wondered if it was a lead contamination issue that The University did not want to have liability so they closed it without warning.
There was no good excuse for closing the club I had been there for 37 years without an accident.
Next time I go to the doctors and get a blood test I’m gonna get them to check my lead level.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:04 pm 

Did some chrony work. After emptying my trap into the container, I seen this. YUMM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:13 pm 

Pushtone- a lot of that lead particulate is inside the pellets before they are fired.

Use a glass or porcelain bowl and dump a new tin of pellets into the bowl. Dump in a couple cups or warm water & a couple drops of dish soap.

Shove your hand into the bow and swish the pellets around, gently. Pour the water and pellets out through a sieve carefully until about 1/2 are out. Use a
holed spoon to get the rest. Look on the bottom of the bowl and there will be considerable lead particles sitting on the bottom. The cheaper the
pellets, the more 'scrap' lead is in them, stuck or loose. Grizzly pellets were REALLY dirty with lead particles. I opened a tin at PA and could see
little chunks of lead inside many of the pellets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:20 pm 

walther wrote:
I’ve always wondered if it was a lead contamination issue that The University did not want to have liability so they closed it without warning.
There was no good excuse for closing the club I had been there for 37 years without an accident.

I would suspect a whealthy donation on the condition that the university would not promote or support gun related activities or something...

Daisy 953
Umarex HPP
Walther PPK/S
Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Colt Python .357 (polymer)
Walther CP99
Smith & Wesson TRR8
KWC 226-S5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Pushtone- a lot of that lead particulate is inside the pellets before they are fired.

Use a glass or porcelain bowl and dump a new tin of pellets into the bowl. Dump in a couple cups or warm water & a couple drops of dish soap.

Shove your hand into the bow and swish the pellets around, gently. Pour the water and pellets out through a sieve carefully until about 1/2 are out. Use a
holed spoon to get the rest. Look on the bottom of the bowl and there will be considerable lead particles sitting on the bottom. The cheaper the
pellets, the more 'scrap' lead is in them, stuck or loose. Grizzly pellets were REALLY dirty with lead particles. I opened a tin at PA and could see
little chunks of lead inside many of the pellets.

And those were crosman I used to day.. 750 pellets I fired today. Trying to tune.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm 

walther wrote:
I used to shoot competitively at University of Western Ontario rifle and pistol club. Are used to shoot both Bullseye and pistol and rifle and then eventually got my black badge and was shooting IPSC. Also I was a range officer and ran the club on club nights twice a week. This was an indoor shooting range by the squash courts. I move to BC and left the club. About a month after I left Ontario to move to BC I got a frantic call from club member saying that they were being closed with no warning by the chancellor.
Next time I go to the doctors and get a blood test I’m gonna get them to check my lead level.

How long ago was that, Walther. I'm wondering if the closure had anything to do with the Polytechnique shooting?
Could be as Yeager noted as well, or merely threats by doners to stop donations, or from the Province itself.
Our indoor range was shut down due to the ventilation not being up to standards, in the late 80's or early 90's
I don't remember exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 am 

The document is well worth reading, and as the excerpted parts show at least lower power airguns aren't likely to be too much of a problem given proper handling. When shooting indoors (99% of my shooting) I use a duct seal trap, don't have anything above 500fps and wore gloves and had a "catch tray" in under the muzzle area when I was firing lead pellets just to be on the overly cautious side.

I found out quite some time ago that the H&N non-lead pellets were quite accurate in the guns I own so I've been using them for years instead of lead pellets. If you're really concerned about lead you could give them a try. I've been told the SIG ones are good too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am 

Well even low power can produce lead dust. I think I'm going to start washing my pellets. After the 700rd I shot, and the lead dust that was in the trap.. No need to really have that in my basement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 am 

Been soldering using 50/50 for a good 40 yrs. Was kinda hard when we had to switch to Silvabrite (leadfree).
I remember melting lead ingots to pour into lead & oakum cast iron joint in my apprenticeship for weeks and weeks.
If it wasn't the lead in the solder or pipe thread dope that's gonna get ya...it's was the asbestos cement pipe covering!
Not saying it's not important...just a little too late to worry about lead pellets or bullets...