Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:12 am 

HuskyDude wrote:
Been soldering using 50/50 for a good 40 yrs. Was kinda hard when we had to switch to Silvabrite (leadfree).
I remember melting lead ingots to pour into lead & oakum cast iron joint in my apprenticeship for weeks and weeks.
If it wasn't the lead in the solder or pipe thread dope that's gonna get ya...it's was the asbestos cement pipe covering!
Not saying it's not important...just a little too late to worry about lead pellets or bullets...

Yeah we got a club meeting tonight. That I'm probably going to go, and see what steps they're taking to limit future cases.

I'm one of 5 or 6, came down with high lead levels, from the indoor range. Spring/summer coming, and that means youth programs be starting up again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 pm 

Interesting read there leadslinger. Thanks for posting that. As a new father it was a good reminder to keep my basement range cleaned up properly. Even though my kid won’t be in in that area until he is ready to start shooting with me.

Regardless of how lead is able to enter your bloodstream it is something that should be taken seriously. I work for an industrial coatings and linings company and lead abatement is a big part of our job. You’d be surprised how prevalent lead paint is in a lot of the buildings and structures people use daily.

A few years ago we had a contract on an arena that was being renovated. There was extensive expansion to the steel structure which was coated with the old bright orange lead paint. (Affectionately called ‘orange blossom special’ by some old timers in the trade). We got the abatement contract after several workers ended up in the hospital with severely high lead levels. Apparently they were cutting, grinding and welding steel without knowledge that it’s coating was lead based.

Our job protocol requires us to have a blood test before starting a job of this nature and again when the job is complete. To enter and leave the site we use a 4 stage decontamination process and are suited up with full body PPE. Even with these precautions my blood test levels were slightly higher than normal at the end of the job. Nothing that required medical attention but an eye opener nonetheless.

leadslinger, I’m curious as to what type of building your shooting club is in. Here in NB they used lead paint up until about 1980. Have there been any renovations to the structure recently? Do you spend any time in the ‘bowels’ of the building, boiler rooms etc, where old paint may be exposed and peeling or breaking down?

If you’re in a newer building this shouldn’t be a concern but if you want to test an area you can use a “lead check” testing stick. Should be able to get them at your local industrial supply store. Hope you can figure out what the issue is.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:53 am 

Sounds as if the vent fans aren't good enough. That's what got ours shut down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:11 am 

Daryl wrote:
Sounds as if the vent fans aren't good enough. That's what got ours shut down.

Yes that was a factor. Also the carpet on the benches and lack of wet mopping, was another. This range was never designed for anything but static 20M. But over time, they made it forward or back. Set your range.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:38 pm 

In 1967 in England I used to do what is called a wipe joint to connect two pieces of lead pipe together. Molten solder on a cloth and wiped around to make a joint.fun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:17 am 

Squirrels retain 100%

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:15 am 

Thanks the article, an eye opener for sure. Back in the day lead was everywhere; water lines, paint chimney flashing and in the pellets we played with as children. I never would have gave it a second thought to pellets, hope you feel better soon. From now on I will wash the little buggers first, and wash my paws like a maniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:38 am 

Navy wrote:
Thanks the article, an eye opener for sure. Back in the day lead was everywhere; water lines, paint chimney flashing and in the pellets we played with as children. I never would have gave it a second thought to pellets, hope you feel better soon. From now on I will wash the little buggers first, and wash my paws like a maniac

My lead levels wasn't just all shooting pellets. I shoot PPC, and was indoors weekly were there would be 8-12 people firing 96 rounds, so be alot of rounds being fired, in a short period of time, and alot of smoke and dust. Lack of maintenance, since there isn't a maintenance staff, so getting people to clean up after themselves is like pulling teeth. And if someone cleans up, its assumed that they will do it every time.

Alot of the time its thru contact, not ingestion. Most pellet ranges, would be contact more than ingestion.. But pellets can produce some dust. My lead levels have been going down. It went down 11%. But I haven't really been shooting at the indoor range much. Just wash your hands when done. I know when I reload, my thumb, index and middle finger, come out black. So I wear finger condoms.

Just kids are a little more acceptable to retaining lead more than adults. So thats just something to watch..