Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:12 pm 

Cabela's is now selling the Crosman DPMS SBR Full Auto BB Gun. Fairly priced @ $239.99 with free shipping (on orders over $99). Though, I would prefer to buy it in store. Still like the option of holding it in my hands before I make the decision to buy.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/117068/c ... -air-rifle

The question is: Why does it take a huge retailer like Cabela's 8 month longer than all the other retailers in Canada to get the newest airguns in?

They always seem to be late to the party. Anyone know why?

Cabela's/Bass Pro in USA was selling this airgun shortly after it was available.

Sorry Cabela's, you lost my sale. I bought it months ago from Raman @ CSS. Happy with purchase. Great guy to deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm 

I highly doubt Cabelas really cared they lost a sale. Considering 40 kids, probably just bought Bass Pro/Cabelas hat. To say "Look I'm country" I would say Cabelas in Canada, is equal to Browning. Nothing more than a Fad for urban people.

Want airgun? Support airgun stores.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:42 pm 

I do try to support my local airgun stores. Unfortunately almost all the stores that sell airguns in my area are national chains, like Princess Auto, Cabela's Cdn Tire, etc. No strictly airgun stores close to me. Some local airsoft stores, that I can get gun accessories & CO2 from.

I mostly buy from locally from Cabela's, Princess Auto, and some times Cdn Tire. Buy the rest mostly from Cdn online retailers.

The people behind the airgun counter at my local Cabela's are very helpful and fairly knowledgeable. That and the fact that it is about a mile from my house, makes it a place that I frequent a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:10 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
I do try to support my local airgun stores. Unfortunately almost all the stores that sell airguns in my area are national chains, like Princess Auto, Cabela's Cdn Tire, etc. No strictly airgun stores close to me. Some local airsoft stores, that I can get gun accessories & CO2 from.

I mostly buy from locally from Cabela's, Princess Auto, and some times Cdn Tire. Buy the rest mostly from Cdn online retailers.

The people behind the airgun counter at my local Cabela's are very helpful and fairly knowledgeable. That and the fact that it is about a mile from my house, makes it a place that I frequent a lot.

Well they're not all the same. Just because yours is, doesn't mean the rest are. My Cabelas don't even show on the drop down menu to check stock.

Been in firearms for 20 years and heard many horror stories of so called experts. Behind gun counters. Experienced alot of BS'ers, Walked out of many shops, never to return. I walked into a Cabelas 3 times, Once in NB before they closed it and twice in Dartmouth. First time left a bad taste in my mouth, only was open a week and shelf's were bare. Not because they sold out. Because they didn't have any stock. Almost like they forgot they're opening a new store. And another time to see if they got items in. NB store was 10X better than the hybrid.

Had a Cabelas type store in Dartmouth for years, Called Better Buy Sports. Yeah was great at first, then flopped.

I rather if Im shopping local, goto a Home Hardware, or a small Rona vs a Canadian tire. Less stock but at least. The people there, actual know what they're talking about.

As the sign says. Welcome fishermen, hunters and other liars.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:06 pm 

Are there any retail stores in Canada that just sell airgun? I'm not taking about Gun/Hardware/Sporting Good/Dept. Stores or Airsoft shops that sell some airguns. I mean stores that specialize in selling BB & Pellet guns?

I know some of the online airgun stores allow customer pickup, but are there any retail store?

I remember there was Ark Army Surplus in Toronto that sold a lot of airguns, as well as other things, but I think they closed to relocate and never reopened.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:07 pm 

Leadslinger:

Funny pic. Is it real or was it photoshopped?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:52 pm 

Sometimes I miss Wholesale Sports- more often miss the old S.I.R..

Cabela's is slow on the uptake when it comes to newly introduced airguns- which may be a good idea in terms of practical business sense.

Personally, I find their selection a bit on the weak side when it comes to pellets and scopes and mounts.

The upside to them is their sales prices. The key here is to watch flyers, both online and snail mail. Bargain Cave is always worth a look.

There has been more than one recent occasion where I have walked out of Cabela's empty handed.

Personally, I think supporting our on-line Canadian air gun retailers is a good route to take. Two immediately come to mind for positive experiences:

Airgunarcheryandfun and scopesandammo .com

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:30 pm 

Cabela's bought out SIR and renamed it Cabela's Canada. I also miss Wholesale Sports, but was less stocked in last couple of years. But they had fair pricing. Usually lower than Cabela's.

Thankfully, we have some real good online retailers to buy airguns from. In no particular order; Cdn Shooting Supply, Airgun Source, Airgun & Archery Fun, D&L Airguns, Replica Airguns, and some others.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:20 am 

SIR was a great mail order business. I remember as a kid spending hours looking at the catalog and wishing for this and that. I bought my first Air pistol through S. I. R as a young teenager. My Dad and my Uncle bought my cousin and I our first deer rifles from them, 6.5x55 Swedish army rifles, and we helped cut down and redo the stocks. Shot a lot of deer with that gun. Anyway, good memories of S.IR. =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Leadslinger:

Funny pic. Is it real or was it photoshopped?

100% real. Taken by me the first time I visited. The handicap parking signs, have people in wheel chairs with fishing rods.

Wholesale sports, I bought a Steven 200 for 219$ and I loved that rifle. But I guess at the end, people hatted wholesales.

Not having a retail store, cuts down the operational cost.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:51 pm 

Sydney I Robinson, - yes- miss them a lot - and Wholesale Sports, but most of all, I preferred Russell's Sports in Calgary. Russell's Sports had the most

extensive after-market supply of 10-22 stuff, ever. I bought my Volquartson triggers set, Butler Creek Stocks (2), barrels, as well as Moly Solve, the best

moly solvent there is/was. Made in Saskatchewan, but I've not seen it anywhere. I'm almost out.