Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Cheap Pellet traps
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:36 am 

My latest two pellet traps I reinforced. Buy them for less than $20 off Amazon. They come rated for 800FPS from 30 feet. I add a piece of steel to the entire top when I put them together for much more strength. Then I add in my own bars and spinners I collect. The trap with the gray piece at bottom I shoot at 15 feet and the bottom steel which sides in and out, holds in a lot more pellets in the trap than not having it there. Spinners are heavy duty and pellets even at 1000FPS don't even leave a mark. Tested them extensively on my other pellet traps that I did the same thing. I use shrink wrap to hold spinners where I want them and on the ends to hold the bar in place on out side of the hole.

Splatter Dot stickers I use just scrap off with a (window scraper) razor blade. They stick very well and do not just fall off.

Traps $19. Added steel free, Spinners (yellow) $7.99 for 3, Spinners (silver) 1.39 each. Stickers 13.99 for 10 sheets all off Amazon. Spinners come from China and take about a month or more to arrive.

CHEERS!

Post subject: Re: Cheap Pellet traps
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am 

If you gotta re enforce a trap, Buy something better. 30$ more and I bought a 22LR rimfire trap.

Personally mines banged up with sub 500 FPS 177 airguns at 25ft.

I found if you use too heavy of a spinner, that they will act as the trap and bounce pellets back.

This was giving me issues.

Even the Rem one showed less damage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 pm 

Have two of those exact orange spinner traps. They bend in no time with sub 500 guns and have to turn them around to punch back the other way. Makes get the target sticker off difficult. As for buying better traps, I have six of them so add up the price of six .22lr traps. No Thank You! My renforced traps work just as well and about 55 to 60 dollars cheaper. Plus you still have to add the spinners. :wink: I have one trap that I put in an ice chipper/scrapper blade that I had that the handle broke and it was kicking around the house for years. :lol: As soon as the red dot is hit on target I move to the next. so the most shots is usually under three shots and stickers are changed. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:44 pm 

Not really "cheap", but applying the old adage "Buy once, Cry once"...IIRC, these cost me ~$60 each to build from 3/16" plate. Made several years ago now they've seen .22Lr, a few from Walters .45 Sam Yang and some heavy use when I used to make the AIRFT shoots...not even a dent. It's a modified snail trap, set them on a dollar store cookie sheet...the spent lead falls out on the cookie sheet for easy collection.

I've not yet felt any need to re-enforce them. :P

Al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:01 am 

I get two of these with Majestic free standing fireplaces. They are very heavy duty steel as two of them hold up an 800lb fireplace off the skid & fireplace legs for shipping. One bar of duct seal, screw it on a short 2X4, clip on target and ready for shooting. Best part is they are free. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 am 

As for my redo spinner pellet traps I can confirm that with the front bottom piece added to the spinner traps that 90% of the pellets stay inside the trap now. Before adding bottom front steel the trap would only retain about 20%. Tells me the angle I shoot them the pellet ricochets and bounces out the front of the trap. I find my heavy spinners work very well with the bottom front steel piece. Steels just slides in the channel where you put paper targets. I have been shooting them now for three weeks everyday. I shoot the spinners with pellets all the way from sub 500 up to a full power QB Chief. CHEERS!

Get everything set up and now I want one of these! Never Ends! LOL

https://www.lymanproducts.com/auto-adva ... get-system

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:07 pm 

I have a chunk of mild steel around here somewhere- save it, from my first pellet trap using 1/8" mild steel. The gun that damaged it, was a .22 Bam 28C shooting 14.43gr. HP Crossman's. Totally deformed this plate, and almost came though (split/crack) in one spot of many repeated hits. Don't go cheap if wanting to shoot higher powered guns.
I replaced that sheet with one of 5/16" steel. The Condor doesn't make and damage using 51gr. solids at close to or over 900fps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:37 am 

Daryl wrote:
I have a chunk of mild steel around here somewhere- save it, from my first pellet trap using 1/8" mild steel. The gun that damaged it, was a .22 Bam 28C shooting 14.43gr. HP Crossman's. Totally deformed this plate, and almost came though (split/crack) in one spot of many repeated hits. Don't go cheap if wanting to shoot higher powered guns.
I replaced that sheet with one of 5/16" steel. The Condor doesn't make and damage using 51gr. solids at close to or over 900fps.

If wheelie don't miss the spinners the pellets won't go through his roof. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:20 am 

After a few weeks of testing I am happy to say 99% of the pellets stay in the trap now with modifications. I reline the top with steel from a furnace door and added a lip in the front on all three traps and it holds pellets inside trap. Put holes through the cheap spinners that came in this $20 trap.(Do it All trap from Amazon). Added heavy duty spinners and on the bigger ones I have to keep dot on lower half so all the pellets remain in trap. Got about $26 each into these traps. Heavy spinner the dots come off so easy with a window scraper. I even shoot them with a full power QB Chief. Thirty feet at the gun range of coarse. People comment on why not just buy a good one, well at $75 each plus tax ($244.) and these end up $78 for all three. Trap with yellow spinners I will start working with as the pellets jump out even with the bottom lips extended up. CHEERS!

Above range I shoot 15 feet in my tool room.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
People comment on why not just buy a good one, well at $75 each plus tax ($244.) and these end up $78 for all three. Trap with yellow spinners I will start working with as the pellets jump out even with the bottom lips extended up. CHEERS!

Quality over quantity. Learned that after many years of buying cheap stuff, then having to upgrade it, or repair it. Its much better to buy once. Like tools, you don't cheap out. Because you're stuck replacing rounded heads on screws. Or general purpose screw drivers, don't belong in a gunsmith work bench. Since they don't fit proper and they will damage the screws.

Thumb wrench might be a general purpose tool. In a quick fix, it works. But many repeated use, damages the nut/bolt etc

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:37 am 

Wanted a kick around target that I can take outside, perhaps leave it somewhere and not worry about it. Bring the four knockdowns home with me. If gets stolen no big deal. Got two shelves if you take spoons off. They are good thick spoons and three shots each from 30 feet shooting 600FPS never even put a dent in them. Back lined with steel from a furnace door. Spent $5 on the whole trap. CHEERS

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 pm 

I just bought one of these gamo bone collector pellet trap off of amazon. I see some in the above pics. I put it together but haven,t used it yet. for those that own one-- how are they. came with 100 targets. it was only $18.00 and I also got two 1500 counts of umarex bbs. with prime shipping it was all free and I got it the next day. not bad.

Attachments:
untitled.png
untitled.png [ 47.7 KiB | Viewed 5528 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:45 pm 

Those work ok pete but I hate them targets they come with. To hard to see from a distance. As for target the nuts come lose and fall out over time. I just replace them with sheet metal screws. Back defection plate gets beat up and bent pretty quickly. But saying this it is a pretty good trap. I have only ever shot mine with a 480FPS airgun from 15 feet. Pellets like to come out of the top of the tube sometimes. Never shot it BB's. Up 3 posts the picture with the five spots is that exact trap you are talking about. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:33 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Those work ok pete but I hate them targets they come with. To hard to see from a distance. As for target the nuts come lose and fall out over time. I just replace them with sheet metal screws. Back defection plate gets beat up and bent pretty quickly. But saying this it is a pretty good trap. I have only ever shot mine with a 480FPS airgun from 15 feet. Pellets like to come out of the top of the tube sometimes. Never shot it BB's. Up 3 posts the picture with the five spots is that exact trap you are talking about. CHEERS!

that was my first thoughts exactly when I opened the box about the targets and not being able to see them very good. I,m making my own shoot-"and "- see targets for it. I,ll put some pics up later when I get a chance to shoot at it. and I guess these wouldn,t be to hard to reinforce them a bit with some metal if they got to shot up. thanks w.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am 

ok. I finally got to shoot at my gamo bone collector pellet trap. love it. works great for $18.00 bucks so far. heres some pics of my homemade shoot "n" see targets that I made for this pellet trap. the one on the left is hand painted with dollar store acrylic craft paint. the one on the right is spray painted with armor coat enamel from can. tire. I hand painted some because they are easy to make sitting right at my computer desk. I think the hand painted ones when shot look a lot better than the sprayed ones. but the shots were spaced apart a bit more. I shot them with my Crossman 1077 from about 19 feet.oh and to add -- I use colored cover stock paper from staples.and I added a thin piece of cardboard behind it. some targets I stuck a small square pink post-it in the middle. double click pics to enlarge.

Attachments:
IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0267.jpg [ 292.17 KiB | Viewed 5448 times ]
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg [ 312.51 KiB | Viewed 5448 times ]
IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg [ 317.29 KiB | Viewed 5448 times ]