Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:28 pm 

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/250623/Hwy-closed-over-pellet-gun
And combed his dark hair down...
And his mother cried as he walked out,
Don't take your guns to town son,
Leave your guns at home Bill,
Don't take your guns to town.

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm 

Idiot to appear in public with a realistic looking "firearm"

I hope that he is charged and has to serve jail time!!

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:43 pm 

wllm995 wrote:

that was kinda close to you, yes?

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:48 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
wllm995 wrote:

that was kinda close to you, yes?

Yes; it was close to me.

FOOL!!!

:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 pm 

Kinda silly. I used to walk around the streets of Kitchener with a pellet gun over my shoulder. Police would stop and ask what I was doing. Tell them I am going down to the park hunting. They would say be careful with that thing. Kids my age on swings and slides and me in a 4X4 bush waiting on a bird. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Kinda silly. I used to walk around the streets of Kitchener with a pellet gun over my shoulder. Police would stop and ask what I was doing. Tell them I am going down to the park hunting. They would say be careful with that thing. Kids my age on swings and slides and me in a 4X4 bush waiting on a bird. LOL

Yes; times have changed a lot since then....

:(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am 

wllm995 wrote:

Idiot? Yes. Jail time? Waste of taxpayers money. They took his gun. He's 38, I don't think jail would do anything in this instance.

Things like what this guy did is why I'm afraid to take my air guns outside.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am 

I understand there is a grey area with pellet/airsoft gun and their display in public. Similar to people walking open carry in the states for the sole reason to exercise their rights. It's totally a different thing to make threating gestures with or without one. That is a crime and you should be charged and convicted for such behavior. This hurts us all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:31 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I understand there is a grey area with pellet/airsoft gun and their display in public. Similar to people walking open carry in the states for the sole reason to exercise their rights. It's totally a different thing to make threating gestures with or without one. That is a crime and you should be charged and convicted for such behavior. This hurts us all.

That's totally fair but in this particular case, the RCMP specifically said that “Although the male resident was seen in possession of the firearm, no reports had been received by police that he had been using it in a threatening manner”. Basically a worker saw him with it on a camera and called the police. I'm sure he wasn't using it for target practice but I don't think it warrants jail time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 am 

Funny story. :shock: keep and airsoft pistol in my lawn chair pocket at trailer park as I shoot targets on my site everyday. Went to a campfire with people who rented for a weekend. Friend their wanted to see an old friend I know so we left to see him. When I got back, people their were looking at me weird, my lawn chair moved way back from the fire, until a lady asked me "is that a gun in your chair?" Pulled it out and one of the kids said "see I told you it was an airsoft gun". I don't even think of it in my chair pocket. :mrgreen: My good ones stay in the trailer and a clear plastic Crosman Stinger sit in my lawnchair. :lol:

Last edited by wheeliehd on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 am 

wllm995 wrote:

He won't. Considering 2 teens went on a drive by shooting in Barrie with a BB gun. Injured a person eye. And got released on bail, to their parents. Aggravated assault is all they got, No weapon charges. Now I thought airguns were firearms in the CC. If used in crimes? Guess not.

Did he hurt anyone? no Should he goto jail? no.

Now if it was a HW97 he had, It would be ironic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 am 

T_Dogg80 wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

That's totally fair but in this particular case, the RCMP specifically said that “Although the male resident was seen in possession of the firearm, no reports had been received by police that he had been using it in a threatening manner”. Basically a worker saw him with it on a camera and called the police. I'm sure he wasn't using it for target practice but I don't think it warrants jail time.

Opps. Reading too fast before I finished my coffee. Thank you for the correction. Reading more on actual law, seems you can not display in public. I agree jail would be too much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

Opps. Reading too fast before I finished my coffee. Thank you for the correction. Reading more on actual law, seems you can not display in public. I agree jail would be too much.

OK - agreed that jail time is too extreme...

How about a small fine?

:?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

OK - agreed that jail time is too extreme...

How about a small fine?

:?

Definitely deserves to pay bonehead tax and all the hassles involved to reclaim his pellet gun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:44 pm 

This sort of thing happens way to often in my City.

Just one of many stories I see on the news. Two years ago a fellow was brandishing what looked like a gun (turned out to be Uzi BB Gun, probably bought on sale at the local Cabela's). Lead police on a 22 KM chase thru town. Ended up surrounded by 25 police cars in a sports field by a by a busy intersection.

He was shot 9 times by 5 different SWAT officers.

Investigation ruled it was a justified shooting and called it a case of "suicide-by-cop".

I remember a sales person in airgun dept. at Cabela's telling me that they sold a lot of the Swiss Arms Uzi BB guns, when they had them in stock a couple of years ago. Esp. when they went on sale. He said most of the purchasers, were not the not their normal airgun customers. He said they came in for one item, didn't ask any questions.

Therefore, I think it is only a matter of time before the government tightens up the legislation for buying and owing all airgun, esp. the realistic looking handguns. Police Depts. all over the country seem to be pushing for more regulation on replica handguns.

My advice. Buy any replica handguns you want now. Who knows what the future will bring. It might take just one big incident to bring more regulations.

I agree that brandishing any airgun/airsoft, or anything similar in public is stupid. But their is no shortage of stupid actions.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.