Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Benjamin Wildfire PCP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 411
Location: Winnipeg MB
Can you find a cheaper priced PCP than this?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97194/be ... -air-rifle

@ $149.97, it is only a bit more than its CO2 version (the Crosman 1022). Plus free shipping.

Have not tried it, as not into PCP, but my 1022 is a fairly accurate rifle.

I suspect the claimed 800 fps is a little optimistic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:52 am
Posts: 2754
Location: Caronport, Saskatchewan
That is a great price =).
Looks like by the reviews a guy needs to stock up on some orings, but that just makes it a good gun to start tinkering with and learn about pcp's.


Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

_________________
Website: https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 411
Location: Winnipeg MB
Sorry meant to say Crosman 1077, not 1022. The 1022 is the Ruger firearm ( and soon to be replica air rifle).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:27 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Brampton Ontario
Save your money it's not very good. I had three and sent them all back. The valve would stick wide open after a good days shooting and refuse to hold air. I tried a fast fill tried cocking the bolt and nothing. You name it I tried because I did liked the size and weight of the gun. The air came back out the barrel as fast as I could put it in. It's fun while it works although the trigger is very stiff and it Cronys at 650 FPs with crosman 7.9 pellets. Buy a Benjamin Maximus if you are looking to get into PCP it's a much nicer and accurate little gun plus there are lots of mods for it. Just my two cents!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:51 am
Posts: 225
Location: Richmond, BC
Ive heard a lot of complaints about leaking, but none of these people have mentioned oiling the orings and trying again...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 am 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm
Posts: 504
Location: Toronto, ON
I just ordered one from AGS, unfortunately even though Cabela's allowed my to buy one online, a week later it still hadn't shipped, and when I emailed them they said it wasn't in stock and had to cancel my order. It would have been an $80 savings over AGS. Oh well, Travis is awesome so I try to give him as much business as I can.

Benjamin really should have made sure these work before selling them - I'm sure it's just bad o-rings and crappy QA. But these aren't difficult to tear apart, and there's nothing else like it in the market, so I'm just planning on disassembling it right away.

_________________
Tom
CAFTA Governor


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:04 am
Posts: 762
Cougar wrote:
Save your money it's not very good. I had three and sent them all back. The valve would stick wide open after a good days shooting and refuse to hold air. I tried a fast fill tried cocking the bolt and nothing. You name it I tried because I did liked the size and weight of the gun. The air came back out the barrel as fast as I could put it in. It's fun while it works although the trigger is very stiff and it Cronys at 650 FPs with crosman 7.9 pellets. Buy a Benjamin Maximus if you are looking to get into PCP it's a much nicer and accurate little gun plus there are lots of mods for it. Just my two cents!!!


This.

_________________
I have some airguns.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 am 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm
Posts: 504
Location: Toronto, ON
jckstrthmghty wrote:
Cougar wrote:
Save your money it's not very good. I had three and sent them all back. The valve would stick wide open after a good days shooting and refuse to hold air. I tried a fast fill tried cocking the bolt and nothing. You name it I tried because I did liked the size and weight of the gun. The air came back out the barrel as fast as I could put it in. It's fun while it works although the trigger is very stiff and it Cronys at 650 FPs with crosman 7.9 pellets. Buy a Benjamin Maximus if you are looking to get into PCP it's a much nicer and accurate little gun plus there are lots of mods for it. Just my two cents!!!


This.


I can understand your position, but I've spoken to a friend who works at Pyramyd Air, and also with Travis at AGS about it, and they both enjoyed them - no, their not super by any regards, but I don't know of another PCP repeater (besides high end Olympic rigs). As long as the barrel is okay, I'll get it working well!

_________________
Tom
CAFTA Governor


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:27 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Brampton Ontario
I know this is an old post but I was just wondering how everyone that purchased the wildfire think of it now that it's been a while? Is everybody happy with it or do they still leak?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:39 am 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm
Posts: 504
Location: Toronto, ON
It worked great... until I disassembled it to give it a tune. Now it leaks, and I'm still working on fixing it. I spoke with the tech from AGS about it and he said that once they've been opened up, it's tough to get them back together again so they don't leak.

It's not a complex design (identical to the 1077), but the 'air transfer tube' is seated against an O-ring on either end, and once those seals have been disturbed, it's tough to get ithem seated properly again.

The trigger is VERY heavy and it's hard to shoot it accurately because this (at least for me it is).

Overall, if you you're looking for a fun 'tin can plinker' it's great for that. I feel the platform is decently accurate, but it's tough to shoot accurately because of the trigger.

Also the power isn't what they claim, and it's not balanced - the 1st shot is the fastest, and it drops down from there.

If you're willing to go with a magazine fed bolt action, there's better options out there.

_________________
Tom
CAFTA Governor


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 411
Location: Winnipeg MB
I don't think Cabela's sell it anymore. If you read the review on the Cabela's website, looks like air leak is a common problem.

What did Crosman/Benjamin tech guys say about it?

Interesting that I have never had an issue like that with my CO2 powered 1077, which is similar to the Wildfire. Only difference is one is CO2 & other is PCP.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3540
Location: Edmonton
There definitely is a reason for it being discontinued.
I believe pirellip when he says he can fix it.
Nobody more capable.
I think he may have encountered the "unfixable,"
at least from a practical point of view.
Put my "X" in the DISREGARD EXISTENCE category.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm
Posts: 504
Location: Toronto, ON
Edmonton<500 wrote:
There definitely is a reason for it being discontinued.
I believe pirellip when he says he can fix it.
Nobody more capable.
I think he may have encountered the "unfixable,"
at least from a practical point of view.
Put my "X" in the DISREGARD EXISTENCE category.


Ha - thanks for the vote of confidence! I never said I can fix it, I said 'I'm working on fixing it' :wink: I honestly don't know if I'll be successful, as I said, I get the feeling that when manufactured, a specific process/jig is used, and once you 'crack the seal' it may never properly seat again.

The AGS tech called it a perfect 'river gun' cuz that's where he thinks they belong if they start leaking.

_________________
Tom
CAFTA Governor


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 6431
Location: Montreal
I tried one and didn't like the trigger at all.

_________________
Facebook is like ancient Egypt, people write on walls and worship cats

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO