Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Benjamin Wildfire PCP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am 

Can you find a cheaper priced PCP than this?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97194/be ... -air-rifle

@ $149.97, it is only a bit more than its CO2 version (the Crosman 1022). Plus free shipping.

Have not tried it, as not into PCP, but my 1022 is a fairly accurate rifle.

I suspect the claimed 800 fps is a little optimistic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 pm 

That is a great price =).
Looks like by the reviews a guy needs to stock up on some orings, but that just makes it a good gun to start tinkering with and learn about pcp's.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:48 pm 

Sorry meant to say Crosman 1077, not 1022. The 1022 is the Ruger firearm ( and soon to be replica air rifle).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:44 am 

Save your money it's not very good. I had three and sent them all back. The valve would stick wide open after a good days shooting and refuse to hold air. I tried a fast fill tried cocking the bolt and nothing. You name it I tried because I did liked the size and weight of the gun. The air came back out the barrel as fast as I could put it in. It's fun while it works although the trigger is very stiff and it Cronys at 650 FPs with crosman 7.9 pellets. Buy a Benjamin Maximus if you are looking to get into PCP it's a much nicer and accurate little gun plus there are lots of mods for it. Just my two cents!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:04 am 

Ive heard a lot of complaints about leaking, but none of these people have mentioned oiling the orings and trying again...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 am 
Supporting Member 2009

I just ordered one from AGS, unfortunately even though Cabela's allowed my to buy one online, a week later it still hadn't shipped, and when I emailed them they said it wasn't in stock and had to cancel my order. It would have been an $80 savings over AGS. Oh well, Travis is awesome so I try to give him as much business as I can.

Benjamin really should have made sure these work before selling them - I'm sure it's just bad o-rings and crappy QA. But these aren't difficult to tear apart, and there's nothing else like it in the market, so I'm just planning on disassembling it right away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am 

Cougar wrote:
Save your money it's not very good. I had three and sent them all back. The valve would stick wide open after a good days shooting and refuse to hold air. I tried a fast fill tried cocking the bolt and nothing. You name it I tried because I did liked the size and weight of the gun. The air came back out the barrel as fast as I could put it in. It's fun while it works although the trigger is very stiff and it Cronys at 650 FPs with crosman 7.9 pellets. Buy a Benjamin Maximus if you are looking to get into PCP it's a much nicer and accurate little gun plus there are lots of mods for it. Just my two cents!!!

This.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 am 
Supporting Member 2009

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Cougar wrote:

This.

I can understand your position, but I've spoken to a friend who works at Pyramyd Air, and also with Travis at AGS about it, and they both enjoyed them - no, their not super by any regards, but I don't know of another PCP repeater (besides high end Olympic rigs). As long as the barrel is okay, I'll get it working well!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:49 am 

I know this is an old post but I was just wondering how everyone that purchased the wildfire think of it now that it's been a while? Is everybody happy with it or do they still leak?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:39 am 
Supporting Member 2009

It worked great... until I disassembled it to give it a tune. Now it leaks, and I'm still working on fixing it. I spoke with the tech from AGS about it and he said that once they've been opened up, it's tough to get them back together again so they don't leak.

It's not a complex design (identical to the 1077), but the 'air transfer tube' is seated against an O-ring on either end, and once those seals have been disturbed, it's tough to get ithem seated properly again.

The trigger is VERY heavy and it's hard to shoot it accurately because this (at least for me it is).

Overall, if you you're looking for a fun 'tin can plinker' it's great for that. I feel the platform is decently accurate, but it's tough to shoot accurately because of the trigger.

Also the power isn't what they claim, and it's not balanced - the 1st shot is the fastest, and it drops down from there.

If you're willing to go with a magazine fed bolt action, there's better options out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:57 am 

I don't think Cabela's sell it anymore. If you read the review on the Cabela's website, looks like air leak is a common problem.

What did Crosman/Benjamin tech guys say about it?

Interesting that I have never had an issue like that with my CO2 powered 1077, which is similar to the Wildfire. Only difference is one is CO2 & other is PCP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:54 pm 

There definitely is a reason for it being discontinued.
I believe pirellip when he says he can fix it.
Nobody more capable.
I think he may have encountered the "unfixable,"
at least from a practical point of view.
Put my "X" in the DISREGARD EXISTENCE category.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Edmonton<500 wrote:
There definitely is a reason for it being discontinued.
I believe pirellip when he says he can fix it.
Nobody more capable.
I think he may have encountered the "unfixable,"
at least from a practical point of view.
Put my "X" in the DISREGARD EXISTENCE category.

Ha - thanks for the vote of confidence! I never said I can fix it, I said 'I'm working on fixing it' :wink: I honestly don't know if I'll be successful, as I said, I get the feeling that when manufactured, a specific process/jig is used, and once you 'crack the seal' it may never properly seat again.

The AGS tech called it a perfect 'river gun' cuz that's where he thinks they belong if they start leaking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:28 pm 

I tried one and didn't like the trigger at all.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun