Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:42 am 

I've got a Canadian detuned Crosman 2200 pump rifle that I purchased at Canadian Tire back around 2003.
It has been detuned to be well under the Canadian 495fps limit.
I would estimate its velocity under 400fps with 8 pumps, and it was never more powerful than that even out of the box.
Considering the non detuned version shoots about 550fps clearly this one has been modified to meet the Canadian market.
I have a PAL and want to retune this rifle to full power.
Does anyone have experience tuning these rifles?

The rifle isn't terribly valuable so I would love to tune it myself but if there was anyone in Manitoba who could tune it for me for a reasonable cost I could always drop it off. Shipping back and forth would obviously make this project uneconomical.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:27 pm 

Most likely cheaper to just purchase a PAL rated 2200 rather than having someone do it with shipping back and forth

Steve

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:24 pm 

^ ^ ^ What he said ( hey Steve :wink: ), but it could also be a nice opportunity to learn to do it yourself. My de-tuned-for-Canada Remington AirMaster77 (same rifle but in .177) has a hole in the back of the valve, a very common way of de-tuning a pumper. Peoples usually plug the hole with a screw or JBweld to get their airgun to full power. You may also want to at least change the piston cup, that could help to gain some power back.

You don't need special tools, just common hand tools like a hammer and punch for the pivot pin, a flat screwdriver or two, maybe some sanding paper to deburr the tube, a couple rags, and some oil to lube the piston cup. It's rather easy to do, and I'm sure there many a video on YouTube to show you how to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 am 

Depends on how old it is. Might be a bit more labour intensive if it's one of the older ones with the brass nut and bleed vent protruding from the bottom of the "receiver".

The tubes on these are on the thin side, and will not take a lot of performance "enhancements".
I've bent two of these tubes by pushing them far beyond their pressure design limits.
I would not go any further than plugging the vent, if there is one. I would stick to the factory mandated 8 pump limit. I'd even cut that down to 6 with an efficient flat top piston aboard, due to the thin pump tube walls.

If you really have an itch to mod, an easier, softer route would be to start with the 13-77/13-22 series guns. The shorter tubes on these seem to be a lot more robust...

If you can get a 2200 to break 500 fps at 8 pumps, you're doing very well indeed. Crosman, along with others has been known in the past to inflate velocity ratings...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:58 am 

Plug the vent, or replace the valve with a PAL rated, and stiffer hammer spring.

Id love to make a 2200.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 pm 

airmec wrote:
^ ^ ^ What he said ( hey Steve :wink: ), but it could also be a nice opportunity to learn to do it yourself. My de-tuned-for-Canada Remington AirMaster77 (same rifle but in .177) has a hole in the back of the valve, a very common way of de-tuning a pumper. Peoples usually plug the hole with a screw or JBweld to get their airgun to full power. You may also want to at least change the piston cup, that could help to gain some power back.

You don't need special tools, just common hand tools like a hammer and punch for the pivot pin, a flat screwdriver or two, maybe some sanding paper to deburr the tube, a couple rags, and some oil to lube the piston cup. It's rather easy to do, and I'm sure there many a video on YouTube to show you how to do it.

Cool thanks for the tips.
I'll dismantle mine and hopefully it's just a valve bleeder. If so I'll jbweld it up.
Even if I can get 500fps out of it I'd be happy.