Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:55 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
I mostly agree with all this, lol, but at the same time I would say there is good and bad about every generation and overall culture. Also, there is still lots of young people, at least in Saskatchewan, that grow up learning to be responsible, work hard, and not think the world should be handed to them on a platter.
I've just finished my masters degree after 20 years away from school and was impressed by a lot of my young classmates.
Not everyone young is so dumb, and I bet if you went back 40 years you'd find morons that were doing stupid things that got themselves killed just as much as today. Drunk driving, for instance, was very common in young people when I was young, and also in my parents time as teens. We're all dumb when we're young, and I bet there was a lot of horrible parenting going on back then as well. In fact, the big majority of baby boomers I've had come to me in my counseling practice had terrible parents, beating them, drunk all the time, sexually abusing them, awful things. A lot of Dads were just terrible. Of course, that is probably not representative of how things were in that generation, but it shows terrible things were going on then as now, and it could be argued this generation of parents could well be a product of the terrible parenting of their own parents, and on down the line.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

WOWWEE! Congratulations! Not an easy thing to do after being away for years. My sister was 42 years old and went back and got her masters.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm 

Thanks very much!
It was a challenge, for sure. I enjoyed it though, was a great experience. In class or out, we are all in school aren't we, if we have a desire to learn anyway. :D
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:10 pm 

The thing that baffles me is how these kids apparently didn't realize that they were putting themselves into a dangerous and potentially life threatening situation?

Do these kids not care if they get hurt? Do they not care if they live or die?

My mom often says that a lot of young people think they are invincible, I think she may unfortunately be correct.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:12 pm 

Daryl wrote:
We are in a world of bringing up kids who have ZERO responsibilities in many, if not most families. They are not grade marked in school - everyone gets a 'pass' or pat on the head for just
being there. Teachers who have failed students for not handing in "work" have been fired, fined or "laid off" or at least severely chastised by the school districts for this mistreatment of the
students. There is no demand for personal responsibility. Responsibility is not taught, at home or in the school. Later on these students do not do well in University, either. They have not been taught how to cope with ANY disappointments - anyone who disagrees with them is attacking them - micro or not so micro aggression and assault. The cannot even cope with a disagreement and need crying closets, safe spaces and soothing puppies to help get over disappointments. This is "Social Justice" in a nut shell.
All of this is laid out in Sol Alinski's books - it is the dumbing down of society. 2 generations is all that is/was needed. THEY will want more Government control to help make them feel safe.
Seems it is working very well, actually.

Teachers are powerless to force students to do anything. But parents blame teachers as they abdicate responsibility to teach their own kids any sense of responsibility. Play soccer and don't keep score. Everyone wins, there are no losers. When it comes to school, even in post secondary education, more and more parents are still "helicopter parenting" and demanding to know why little Johnny isn't getting straight A's.

Whatever happened to the good old days? Back then teachers could flay them into shape. But today's millennials want everything now! They learned from a very young age that everything should be just a click away. Too often the youth of today expect instantaneous gratification. And their parents support this belief. "Johnny, you can be anything you want to be. Just believe in yourself." Teachers can't let them know if they have been short changed by Mother Nature. They are not allowed to tell them that realistically and in light of their abilities they should learn to say those six magic words: "Would you like fries with that?" Teachers can't tell students whether or not they are dumb. The parents don't want to hear it and wouldn't believe it anyway.

A good kick in the pants is a thing of the past.

Twiggy wrote:
I have not experienced bad parenting or bad family, because of my being entirely Polish, and Polish culture is very different.

Polish families are close, and do not tolerate poor behavior, at least from my experience. Polish families tend to stick together too, so you don't often get divorces, or families that are split up or anything like that. Polish parents take raising children very seriously.

Twiggy is right. Polish parents are never bad parents. Divorce offends their religious sensibilities, but more importantly old fashion values means taking kids out behind the woodshed if necessary, the laws against child abuse be damned.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:24 pm 

ahh yes -- the good ole days. when I was in grade school the teachers were nuns. they all wore the black and white habits. when they rang the bell at recess to come back in we all had to stand in the same spot for a minute before we filed back in. i.ll never forget this -- but I ran over and jumped on my buddies back. and for that I got the strap. only on one hand tho because my other hand has fingers missing. they did have a bit of compassion. but man those old nuns could hit hard and a lot of the guys got it often. kids nowadays would never have lasted back then. lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:57 pm 

Being a product of the '40s and '50s I doubt I could make in their world today. But on the other hand, I doubt they could have made it in my world back then either.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 pm 

rsterne wrote:
and that brings us back to this....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hLpE1Pa8v ... cy=3&rel=0

Bob

He's great- and hilarious.
Daryl

Times have certainly changed. I hear twiggy, but that sort of upbringing was not only a Polish method. My ancestry was Scottish and Irish on Mom's side and Romanian/Roma on my Dad's side.
All of Dad's family were "Out West" - while the huge Irish/Scottish people were in South Western Ontario. Christmas dinner had 27 people sitting down to devour a large turkey, usually 25 to 28
pounds. EVERY one of them raised us - our parents, our uncles and aunts - they were all involved in our "at home" education. I had been back-handed by most of them by the time I reached 10.
They made me tougher than some, (mostly my older cousins doing that) perhaps and I was stubborn to the core, yet I was responsible for my own actions. My father said, over and over - "before
you do something, think how it will effect those around you".
I can hear him saying that to this day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Thanks very much!
It was a challenge, for sure. I enjoyed it though, was a great experience. In class or out, we are all in school aren't we, if we have a desire to learn anyway. :D
Regards,
Wes

Well done, Wes - quite a challenge & accomplishment for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:15 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
The thing that baffles me is how these kids apparently didn't realize that they were putting themselves into a dangerous and potentially life threatening situation?

The rational part of a teen's brain isn't fully developed and won't be until he or she is 25 years old or so. In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently.

Last edited by HuskyDude on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 pm 

^ I've heard the 25 thing as well.

I'm 24 right now, but still as I said, even when I was much younger, I still cared about my own safety and I didn't do anything that stupid.

I think something more than just being a teenager is at play, in cases like this. There's got to be. Carelessly running across a road with oncoming traffic, is just too stupid to be chalked up to "their brains aren't fully developed", at least at the teenage age. Same thing for prank calling 911.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:08 am 

Funny i remember grand father saying the same things that was in the 60's ...............

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:51 am 

HuskyDude wrote:
Twiggy wrote:

The rational part of a teen's brain isn't fully developed and won't be until he or she is 25 years old or so. In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently.

I disagree. What happens when you're a teen and forced into an adult life style. Divorced parents and had to step up and be the man of the house, or provide. or join the Army at 16, going to war at 22. That brain is going to work different then a teen or an adult. Or any one else of the same age group.

Parents now I see don't let their kids be kids. They want to dress like adult, have cell phones, be grown up.

Kevin, those teen knew exactly what they were getting themselves into. They just did not care. Everything I did, I knew all to well what I was getting into. Even if that was getting in trouble, causing some stuff, shenanigans. I knew when to cross the line and when not to.