Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:29 am 

These are very nice looking pellets.
I had tried them previously in my .177 Artemis 700-W pumper, and they did not group that well...

Tried them tonight in my 24" 13-XX carbine in .177.

Much better, but still not the equal of the grouping capabilities of the original Predator... This particular bbl is actually slightly over due for a cleaning. I have some other guns to try them in yet. Maybe the Meteor will digest them without too much fuss.... :wink:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:42 pm 

I was told that the plastic in the pellet can foul up the rifle barrel. Anyone had that experience, or heard the same advice?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:28 pm 

BB1Shooter these pellets have a plastic tip that never touches the bore.

I think you might be thinking of the pellets that have a lead or steel BB nose and a plastic back end
that does ride in the bore.
I have never heard of either of them fouling a bore, but that is possible with the plastic pellet base, just as lead from the
pellets can foul the bore.

I'd like to try those in my rifles, both .177 and .22 if available.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:25 pm 

Thanks Daryl. Never tried pellets with plastic in them, just heard the rumor, but can't remember where.

I usually just stick to lead pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:38 pm 

I have both types of the pellets with plastic... Didn't hear about the plastic ( tip or skirt) will foul the bore either...

The left one is Crosman ( alloy, not lead ) the right one is Polymag ( regular, not short). Both shoots good... But IMO, use Polymer for target shooting, would it be just too expensive?! [emoji38] Image

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 pm 

yep, yep - you likely meant that it is impossible for the predator's plastic tip to foul the bore, which is the case.
That would be physically impossible while the Crossman (other makes as well with plastic bearing portions) on the other hand, is definitely possible,
especially in spring-powered air guns due to the temperature of the compressed air- possibly melting the pellet's base - if - the plastic is
not up to the task at hand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 pm 

Really?! I never think about that before ~ but it can be very easy to check it out as while I used the plastic skirts pellets, it's very usual the alloy head went thought the target ( like a soup can something), but the plastic skirt was block outside the can... I never found any sights about melting on them... But all my guns are non PAL sub 500 ones, maybe they don't have that power or heat...

And further more, I am thinking if in high power guns, besides the heat from the air compressed, how about heat from the friction when the skirt travel extremely fast ( like 1000fps) in the bore? Will that have the chance to melt the plastic too??

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:17 pm 

Any gun that will cause dieseling, could develop enough heat to melt IMPROPER plastic composition - maybe.
We find that in the muzzleloading shotguns & in black powder loads in modern shotguns, if the flame of the powder has contact with
a plastic wad. If going to put a plastic wad into a case, or loading into the bore of a ML, we must put an 1/8" hard card wad between
the powder and the plastic wad.
In 5 to 10 shots, they will actually coat the bore with plastic, even with modern powder.
I do not know what the actual temperature needed to cause dieseling is, however the black powder burns hotter than smokeless powders
but develops lower gas pressures per grain, of course.

So - bottom line is, IF there is enough heat generated to melt or soften the plastic of ANY make of plastic-based pellet, THEN plastic fouling is possible from
those pellets with a lead nose and plastic base, otherwise, no, it is unlikely.

Because the nose of a predator pellet, form an air rifle or handgun, is not subject to enough frictional heat form the air, it will not melt or cause fouling.

Now, that is not to say that some barrel might lead with that particular lead pellet, having a plastic nose. It is possible someone received leading from the predators
and merely said Predator pellets fouled my barrel. Someone reading that, & not thinking it through, might think the fouling was due to the plastic nose - however that
is an impossible- not going to happen in this universe.

I would like to try the shorts, though. They are likely made shorter to fit magazines and that is a good thing - if they shoot well in your rifle, that is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:43 pm 

Yes ~ and clearly if any melting or anything go wrong, it must affect the accuracy in a great deal, so if you find the pellet just shoots well, that's nothing wrong happened and you can add one more good item2on your buying list. It's that simple, right?

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:07 pm 

Maybe- it is possible a certain pellet is leaving microscopic fouling although shooting just fine, then over time, the shooting goes South do
to a buildup of fouling. That pellet might have shot well, but caused fouling over time.

My .177 HW97 has been shooting a variety of different pellets, Crossmans, JSB's and H&N's - many thousands and has NEVER had it's barrel cleaned.
I do not see a reason as the accuracy remains consistent.

It still puts 5 predators into 1/10" C to C at 20 yards. It does slightly better than that, still, using JSB Cometa 4.51mm pellets - but not the standard JSB 4.51mm pellets
which shoot identically to the Predators.

Now, 1/10" C to C isn't too bad for 20 yards with a springer, is it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:06 pm 

What my thought is the skirt of a pellet get 'damaged' in the bore, so after it leaving the muzzle, that damaged ( melted) skirt must affect how it flies to the target... And if this happens, how bad the damages will be or which spot of the skirt has the flaw will be unpredictable, and the grouping must goes wrong... Maybe still not too bad, but at least won't be as good as usual... Or maybe just makes you feel 'the gun shoots strange...'

It looks I became lazy to clean my barrels recently... Just keep shooting, then clean (the outside of ) the barrel and the stock to wipe off my finger marks afterwards only... The same, as the gun shoots as good as always, I want to see how long I can keep the lead dust to build up and finally affect the accuracy... [emoji38]

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:14 pm 

I had an old Czech springer pistol at one time, and those saboted plastic skirt pellets really fouled the bore- which had old style cut rifling. The version I had tried was branded Prometheus....

To slightly return to topic, I tried another version of the Predator today~ the Crosman branded metal-mags in .177 cal...

5 shots at 18 yds through a 17-60 crosman factory bbl. I used the little compact Spike 3-12 X 44mm side focus scope at 9 X for that group....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:11 am 

Wow, very good!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 am 

Yeah ~ impressive! Looks this is the best choice for you DS~

I didn't try this pellet before, as the Crosman pellets in my mind are not famous about 1st grade accurate pellets then I avoid buying their expensive pellets... Looks I missed something ~

~Target~