Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Airguns for sale section
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:39 pm 

How come prices are sometimes removed from the ad, once an airgun is sold. Isn't the prices helpful in understanding the market value of the airguns, in case someone else has a similar airgun to sell, or is looking to buy a similar airgun?

What's the harm in leaving the price in the ad after it is sold?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:03 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
How come prices are sometimes removed from the ad, once an airgun is sold. Isn't the prices helpful in understanding the market value of the airguns, in case someone else has a similar airgun to sell, or is looking to buy a similar airgun?

What's the harm in leaving the price in the ad after it is sold?

A price doesn't mean it sold for that or that's the market value. With your thread about high priced airguns. People can ask for whatever they want. Doesn't mean its worth what they are asking. Sometimes there a really good deal. And it doesn't reflect market value. Example I bought a 1911 for 450$, Its worth twice that normally. So leaving a price, people would think that gun is worth 450, when it really worth like 900.

I'm on 2 other sites, that deleted old ads, and gives the seller option to flag it for removal. Because some sites only allow couple ads per person. With over 400 transaction I think it works well. Personally I think the forsale sections needs to be cleaned up. If they insist on keeping old ads. Make a separate section that sold ads can be moved to. So just leaving ACTIVE ads.

And also have a separate section for accessories/parts/scopes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:11 pm 

Only the seller would remove the price, but even if there is a price listed we never know what the item sold for. Same with most other things, asking price... selling price how do we get to know? At least there are some agencies that are now showing the selling price for real estate; it gives the true picture of the house value. My wife so often looks on facebook/kijiji and says "look at this thing i want, but its selling for way more than its worth". and I say "well they'll never get it", but maybe they do, who knows.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:33 pm 

Mods do not remove prices nor do i remove old ad if a seller asks for it to be edited i will if ask to remove i will .........

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I always thought it was a way to leave the ad up, but not get a bunch of "is it still available?" for years to come. No price is a good indication that it's sold, especially if there is a mandatory sale price requirement, like we have here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:00 pm 

It's very easy for the seller to add a 'SOLD' on the title of the original ad.

Why not do so and keep the ad as a future reference for any one else and for myself?

Any way, that's what I did to my ads...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:40 am 

But is it really necessary to have 12 pages with mainly sold ads? I mean 2002 prices will be different than 2018 prices. So the suggestion to find out market value, is flawed.

49 posts on the first page, 17 of them have sold in the title. 1 sold without the title changed, 1 edited. So close to 1/2 the first page are sold items, with active ads still in the shadows or bumped to the next page.

The sale section would be much nicer with sold items in a separate forum, also would help the sellers, then people will know what's still active.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 am 

I am one that thinks threads should be deleted when sold. As for what it is sold for is no ones business in my opinion. Had a mint Airhawk with original spring and a full power spring for $130. Had lots of people message me mentioning Walmart price. For one I do not get free shipping and full power spring cost me $40. Ended up selling it for $110 and person took the 40 minute drive to come and pick it up. I drove 20 minutes to meet but I offered that drive on my part. But look at the prices of them now that Walmart stopped selling them. People still think they should sell under $100 with free shipping. When Walmart was still selling them still, I paid $140 for one from this forum. Had work done to it and I was plenty happy with the deal and to this day it is my best shooting PAL power springer. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am 

leadslinger wrote:
But is it really necessary to have 12 pages with mainly sold ads? I mean 2002 prices will be different than 2018 prices. So the suggestion to find out market value, is flawed.

49 posts on the first page, 17 of them have sold in the title. 1 sold without the title changed, 1 edited. So close to 1/2 the first page are sold items, with active ads still in the shadows or bumped to the next page.

The sale section would be much nicer with sold items in a separate forum, also would help the sellers, then people will know what's still active.

There was a time old sold post were removed but believe it or not people complained so they were left and people complained ..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm 
Supporting Member 2010

lauchlin wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

There was a time old sold post were removed but believe it or not people complained so they were left and people complained ..

No matter what is done people will complain......some people like stirring the pot

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 pm 

notec wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

No matter what is done people will complain......some people like stirring the pot

Not stirring the pot. Just giving suggestion how it can improve.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:45 pm 
Supporting Member 2010

Oh, my comment wasnt directed at you :mrgreen: When I quoted Brent it kept your part of the conversation lol

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm 

notec wrote:
Oh, my comment wasnt directed at you :mrgreen: When I quoted Brent it kept your part of the conversation lol

Trouble maker :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:24 pm 

Constructive comments and suggestions like this are welcome. As stated, however, one solution seldom suits all.

I'd like to put forth a suggestion as well: When a mod polls for your opinion or for information, it's likely related to possible improvements, which need to be fairly thoroughly vetted and then presented when the opportunity arises.

More than four or five responses would be much more helpful.

I agree with Robert that old ads have a relatively short life of relevance, and certainly those with the price removed when it's sold are pretty much useless. The fact is, the administrator's policy currently is to archive everything, and that includes anything we are asked by the poster to remove or that we remove for non-compliance reasons. For a forum dealing with such a hot and controversial subject, that is a good policy. You only see the sale archives because that's what members wanted. I guess the issue is, does it really matter? There's nothing forcing you to go back into those old ads unless you're interested in doing so. The active ads are always at the top because sellers bump them every week or so until the item is sold.

Having said that, Brent and I will follow up on some of these suggestions, some of which have already been put on the table.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
does it really matter? There's nothing forcing you to go back into those old ads unless you're interested in doing so. The active ads are always at the top because sellers bump them every week or so until the item is sold.

Having said that, I can't think of anything else that needs to be said.