Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 pm 

If you shared it publicly before anyone else, is my understanding. Once you put it on Facebook or a public forum stating you wrote it, you'll have public proof of a date.
Another way is to put your design or song etc in a registered mail envelope and send it to yourself, then don't open it. If you ever need to prove you designed/wrote it you'll have dated proof with official mailing date.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
The CCFR does a ton, they are "in the ring" everyday especially Tracey.

but, Edmonton<500, if I understand you correctly, if I write my own song for example, I would automatically have the copyright to it, and if someone copied it without my permission I could file against them for copyright infringement?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
If you shared it publicly before anyone else, is my understanding. Once you put it on Facebook or a public forum stating you wrote it, you'll have public proof of a date.
Another way is to put your design or song etc in a registered mail envelope and send it to yourself, then don't open it. If you ever need to prove you designed/wrote it you'll have dated proof with official mailing date.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Conceptually, you're right, Wes, and your example of mailing something to yourself is one method of establishing a date of creation of an original work; however, no action like this is required to be protected under copyright laws. While the burden of proof may rest upon your shoulders in any given scenario, copyright rights do not require any declarations or attachment of circle-Cs to a work. The latter, as a matter of fact, has no legal stature whatsoever and is useful only to advise other people that you consider it an original work that you came up with on x date. In the case of a dispute, a civil suit, the courts will decide whether your inherent copyrights have been infringed upon, based on evidence, relevant conflicts of interest, levels of similarity, and the existence of gain or loss, etc.

And copyright, by the way, relates to original ideas - not to words. In our current example, an advocacy group would get nowhere in a lawsuit against a gun manufacturer for use of the words, "No Compromise" because the words describe different ideas in unrelated areas of interest (business or otherwise).

As far as social media is concerned, that's an entirely different pail of piranha. All of you who have read the full terms of agreement for Facebook (raise your hands now, or haven't you quite finished reading?) are aware that it's pretty clear in Facebook's eyes that they own, or at the very least share equity in, everything you post on their website. That's probably one of the last places I would post an original work to establish its creator and date of creation. Of course, their claim has never been challenged in court, but let's just say you're up for the legal battle of your life if a dispute should arise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 am 

Found this... Hope it sheds some light on the matter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n_N...zCLR6_rlc/view

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:45 am 

Ha!
Yes, and no.
Same game, substitute player.
More distraction from the real issues today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 am 

HuskyDude wrote:
Found this... Hope it sheds some light on the matter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n_N...zCLR6_rlc/view

NFA is in the wrong. In many ways, not just because it's the wrong time. NFA were like we will sue, if you don't give us money, because your logo is like ours. CCFR was like, we're not playing this bully game, let the courts decide. But is using a slogan from another company. So if CCFR also proves that NFA using a Slogan from another company that used it before.

In the end, CCFR getting more members, NFA is once again, flushing them self down the toilet.

The word isn't copyright infringement. You're thinking of intellectual property. CCFR has proof that their logo was used before NFA.

Quote:
What is Intellectual Property?

Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind, such as inventions; literary and artistic works; designs; and symbols, names and images used in commerce.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:57 pm 

Im sorry, but "copyright" refers to just that: intellectual property.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 am 

Two small fish fighting for survival in a small pond. No surprise the conflicts are petty.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Twiggy wrote:
The "civil advantage" (what Rod Giltaca used to do before the CCFR) logo is older than the NFA's logo, and it is much more similar to the current CCFR logo than the NFA's is, so leadslinger is right, if anyone can sue, it's the CCFR.

YES - absolutely, you are right, but only if the logo was copyrighted before the FNA copyrighted it.

And get this... HK used the no compromise slogan before NFA did.

I got this at 1990 shot show:)

Cp88 nickel comp. modded
Tanfoglio Limited Custom .177 BB
P226 x-five open comp tuned
Gsg-92 full race IPSC style mod

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:25 am 

The court will decide. We aren't getting the WHOLE story, guaranteed.