Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am 

I've decided it's time to buy myself a microwave, because you just can't beat the convenience of a microwave and being able to buy microwavable food and TV dinners and just quickly "nuke" them for lunch, or a snack or whatever would be a god send.

Of course, I have a conventional oven but things in there take a while to make, sometimes an hour or more. From what I have read from cooking instructions on the back of a lot of frozen foods most tings in a microwave only take a couple to a few minutes at most, and only some take around 15 minutes, so drastically less time, which is good, because when I get home I want to eat, not cook things for half an hour to an hour (or more).

I did learn that wattage affects cooking time because of energy, and that most foods instructions are for microwaves around 600-700W, so I am definitely not going to get anything under 700w.

I don't know anything other than that though, and from what I have read the stuff walmart or canadian tire have, are not that good, many reviews say there's stopped being as strong as they should be within a few months, or that their plate stopped turning, or that they're plate wont stop turning when the microwave is on etc. Of course, these are cheaper sub $100CAD microwaves.

It seems you do get what you pay for, so I will be budgeting $100-$150CAD for mine.

So does anyone know which brand makes good microwaves? Any specific models to look for? Any other information?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:16 am 

Ive been using a Danby 1000W microwave for like 4 years. So cheap ones can last.

Biggest thing to look at is the size and watts. Nothing worst than a microwave that you cannot stick a plate in it.

Fancy doesn't mean good.. Mom bought a new HE washer. It broke in a year, circuit board went. She got a fridge, handle fell off, Microwave range hood failed. Pretty sure the oven broke too.

I got a 80$ fridge I bought at a pawn shop, been using it for over 2 years w/o a issue, Old moffat range that came with the house, Free washer and dryer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:26 am 

True,

I'm not looking for fancy, just something with a good amount of power and reliable.

I think I'm gonna stick with larger better quality brand names like Toshiba, Panasonic, or Samsung though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:33 pm 

I don't have a microwave in my house ( same reason to a dishwash8, the kitchen just too small and you can put the microwave on the floor, right?)

But I know the Panasonic should be the top 1 brand on microwave... Many of my friends use their microwave and give good reviews...

And my work place use the Panasonic too... However they usually broken down in less than 2 years... But you need to know that my plant runs 24 hours, 3 shift, about 80 ppl in each shift... Although we have 2 microwave working together, but can't share the heavy work load much.... So, I think it can at least last for about 10 years in your house?!

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 pm 

@yepyep

I for sure wouldn't be putting mine through that kind of torture, at most mine would be used like 5 times a day, most likely just once or twice though.

So yeah, should be able to last for years in my house. I'm the only one who will be using it anyways, as the other folk in my home are health freaks, and don't want anything to do with microwaves lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:03 pm 

I have a Panasonic microwave that my mom bought me in about 1990 still running, it was my home microwave and I moved it to work around 2005 and it's still going. It's at least 1200W I also have a Samsung 1000W - dinner plate size platter that has been going 12+ years. But, nowadays microwave ovens are dirt cheap. My advice is don't expect to actually cook anything in a microwave. They are really only useful for defrosting frozen food and reheating already cooked meals. And of course heating up leftovers and re heating coffee and stale muffins/bread. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:15 pm 

Can't go anywhere tomorrow because of the holiday, and already did my shopping today, but Saturday, I'll go to a few stores and take a look in person, I'm learning towards Panasonic models now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:21 pm 

We have a cheapy "Emerson" (not exactly a brand name) and used it on weekends (cottage use) from 2003-2007, and since then use it every day, several times a day.... Still works fine.... It's a medium sized unit, 1.1 CF, large enough for a 13" pizza.... Something to consider if you get those.... It is 1000 W....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

Last edited by rsterne on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:22 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
My advice is don't expect to actually cook anything in a microwave. They are really only useful for defrosting frozen food and reheating already cooked meals. And of course heating up leftovers and re heating coffee and stale muffins/bread. :drinkers:

Unless all you eat is pizza pockets and raman noodles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:28 pm 

The things I probably am gonna microwave the most are "Hungry Man"/"Swanson" dinners, jamaican patties, burritos, etc. Quick frozen foods.

I'm trying to cut down how much I pay for food. Since I only have a conventional oven at the moment I opt for fast food more often than not, and I end up paying about $11-$15 usually.

Today I got this pizza and beer for $7.64 with the tax as well. It'd probably be at least $1 less if I just got a bottle of pop instead.

This took half an hour to cook.

With the microwave I'll have more options available, be able to eat them sooner and will save a few dollars. The microwave should pay for itself in a month or two.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:16 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I've had a 1000w Sylvania for about 15 years, it's still going after all these years. Got it in sale at Canadian Tire, keep an eye on sales.

It did quit once, turned out to be one of the door switches went. Found an old microwave on the side of the road, took the door switches out, and fixed mine, with spare switches left over (most have 3 different switches). Since fixing this one, I've fixed quite a few at work, I would say 8 out 10 times it's a door switches issue. I think it's caused by opening the door while it's running, because the faulty ones are usually "welded" together, and the contacts don't open. Sometimes you can reuse a switch it you can clean it up, and the short wasn't too bad.

Something to keep in mind once you get a microwave. I won't get into how unhealthy all that processed, convenience food is. That's a topic for another thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:19 pm 

Actually your room mate is right. Microwave is not a very healthy thing... Don't want to see you rely on it for your every day life ~

Duke is correct too. Use it for re-heating leftovers or deforsting forzens only...

For cooking pizzas, I have a smaller desktop oven ( the place usually ppl use for a microwave in the kitchen we used for this oven) because pizza things getting better taste from a conventional oven than a microwave....

But there are some other great taste menu on the microwave... Before we found our own house, we like to use microwave of our landlord to make corns... Use the kitchen towel to wrap the whole sweet corn for 2, 3 layers and 'nuke' it in high heat for 1 or 2 minutes.... Very delicious ~ and this kind of menu will be the correct usage on a microwave, not to make every day living with pizza and fast food with it ~

Cheers~

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 pm 

I use the microwave to steam veggies, cook potatoes 90% of the way, corn.

But look at people that live in Baracks and dorms... They eat un healthy, microwave this and that. I couldn't live off a microwave....

The stuff you're planning on nuking, is no better than what you get out, eating out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:42 pm 

^

but it's cheaper, and I can do it at home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 pm 

My wife wanted a new microwave over the stove to save room. Asked me if I could do it. Priced new cupboards to do it and told my friend to start building them. Tore old cupboards out and hit mould. Replumb kitchen, might as well rewire since we have it open, lets add 16 potlights and on it went and now she enjoys her 24 thousand dollar kitchen with $500 microwave over the stove. So yes I know about Microwaves. LOL