Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 am 

Congrats! Archery is a lot of fun =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:11 am 

wheelied - that's a lot of broadhead launching toys! I suppose someone might think I had more than enough guns
if they saw into my lockup..
I only have 1/2 dozen of so, bows, so I have a long way to go to be 'outfitted' for that sport.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:11 pm 

my bow came in today, everything's intact.

However I won't be putting it together until (next) Tuesday night, when I am going to meet up with a 66 year old man from my city to help me set it up the first time.

Gonna be fun.

I did buy a target today from Bass pro though, it's this one:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/117446/b ... bag-target

I also bought a 4x6 horse mat which I will be picking up tomorrow to use as a backstop.

I will be going over to the people who own the crop field behind my property to ask for permission to cross over the property line and pick up my arrows, if they go way off that the backstop doesn't stop it.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:51 pm 

Good news, I've just obtained permission from the folk who own the field behind me, to cross over to get my arrows if needed.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm 

I would hate to shoot someone sneaking or going for a walk through the field. Grandkids out playing may not be any higher than the long grass or crops in the field. Number one bow rule, never shoot at a fence. I stand at my fence and shoot at my house. I miss and go through the wall I hit sixty thousand dollars worth of Vintage Harleys. Still would be cheaper than hitting the nabors Fluffy. :lol: Enough shots you will always have a stray arrow. Strings break, nocked but fell off arrow rest, pulling back and strings slips, broken or cracked arrows ect. Always know what's behind your target. We don't want to read about you in the news. :) Have fun with your new bow.

Last edited by wheeliehd on Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:36 pm 

Of course,

you are correct, be sure of what is behind your target.

Luckily for me that field is incredibly large around 100 acres I'd estimate, my property borders the back end of it, the folks home and their "yard" is on the complete opposite end and side, and in a different direction then I will be shooting. I highly doubt any kids, dogs, or random people will be walking around here. I'll just have to make sure the portion near me is not being worked on, but it will be obvious because there would be a tractor, or combine, I could clearly see and/or hear. Before I do any shooting, I will of course always go and check out the situation.

Not only that, but my backstop will be 8ft high, because while the horse mat is only 4x6ft and it will be horizontal, I am going to be having 4ft of gap between it and the ground, because at the short distances (just a few meters) I will be shooting, I figure that if it an arrow goes that low, that soon, it's not going to go far before hitting the ground anyways, and pulling arrows out of the ground, should be a lot easier than pulling them out of the horse mat as well.

My target, will be sitting on top of a 2ft high platform I will make, so with myself being 6'3 - 6'4, I will be aiming very much downwards as well.

So crossing onto their property should be a very rare occurrence if it would happen at all, and something would really having to be wrong.

Being 6ft wide, I should have a good amount of left/right coverage as well, it's more than twice as wide as the targets I was shooting at the lesson I had, and once they showed me proper form, no arrows went off "target" anyways.

I am not able to shoot "at" my house because there are gardens that my dad works on, the patio, shed, etc there, not to mention the road is in that direction, and it'd be well under the 100ft from any house requirement the discharge bylaw has. Other directions, are people with small properties, so shooting at the back of my property towards the field is the only option I have.

I have thought things through, and designed things to be as safe as they can possibly be in my scenario, with a little bit of overkill as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:54 am 

If you want to check out some 3D archery, the Thorold Conservation club has archery shoots about every 2nd Sunday. We put out 16 3d targets and our first shoot is this Sunday. Our targets range from 20 to 50 yards but some younger people or novices walk up to 10 yards to shoot. We are just outside the Thorold Tunnel on the east side.

THOROLD LEGION
CONSERVATION GROUP
P.O. BOX 473 THOROLD, ON L2V 4J6 est. 1948
celebrating over 70 years involvement in the community and the outdoors

2019 – 3D ARCHERY

The Thorold Legion Conservation Group will be holding 3D archery shoots on the dates listed below. All shoots are being held on Sundays from 10am to 2pm. Non-members are welcome.

May 5, 2019; May 26, 2019
June 2, 2019; June 16, 2019
July 7, 2019; July 21, 2019
August 11, 2019; August 25, 2019
September 8, 2019; September 15, 2019

Cost per round of 16 targets are as follows:
Members: First Round $7 and $4 for each additional round.
Non-Members: First Round $8 and $5 for each additional round.

For more information please call or text John at 289-690-7383
To get on our e-mail list for rain out info e-mail John at mooseslayerjc@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 pm 

That's great. We need to build some butts around here that will allow long range shooting as was practiced in England, back in the 13th, 14th 15thth centuries,
for shooting war bows.
The Piles are all handmade forgings from England from the Royal Archer's Society.
The arrow shafts are ash, with hardwood spliced nocks and grey goose flight feathers wrapped and tied with read thread, as was done.
The arrow weight averages 1,500gr. depending on the point used. The maximum range with a 100# bow, is just slightly over 300 meters. The bows
brought up with the Mary Rose ran 85 pounds to 180 pounds draw at 30". In 1530, law (Henry VIII) decreed that all boys when reaching the age of majority
(puberti) must be using an 85 pound or heavier bow.

3 or heavier pound bow.

Attachments:
100_2110_zps2fefe1db.jpg
100_2110_zps2fefe1db.jpg [ 88.48 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
100B2101_zps1f1e3b3f.jpg
100B2101_zps1f1e3b3f.jpg [ 61.61 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
100_2104_zps7b927c29.jpg
100_2104_zps7b927c29.jpg [ 98.51 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Thu May 02, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 pm 

These are more pictures of that bow and arrows.
My bro made the bow.

Attachments:
100_2129_zps4979a86c.jpg
100_2129_zps4979a86c.jpg [ 45.78 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
100_2111_zps29130023.jpg
100_2111_zps29130023.jpg [ 57.72 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
100_2109_zps2f7749d1.jpg
100_2109_zps2f7749d1.jpg [ 104.2 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:04 pm 

I just did some scouting out on the back of my property, and I found the perfect place to put my backstop, far back enough to not be in anyone's way, but also far enough from the back to have lots of space behind it for an arrow to still land on my property, if one goes high, so that seems like the perfect spot.

Technically while I live here, it's not my property, it's my father's, but he's okay with everything, and is going to help me build my backstop, so I'm sure he feels everything's fine, because he is the type of man to make it very clear if he has a problem with something.

As far as the 3D archery, that sounds nice, but I've only shot twice so far, so I'll need to get more practice before I come out, so probably later this summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:08 pm 

Those war bows and arrows sure look interesting, but yes, you will surely be needing a spot that is wide open, seeing how the bow is 100# @ 32", (I think).

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:27 pm 

You will be fine. Most targets missed the arrow is within 20 paces behind unless it is very hard and skips. If you just want to come and just check out the 3D and our archery range you are welcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 pm 

I use industrial conveyor belt rubber out about 8 inch's from the wall of my house. Arrow goes in the rubber I have to make a slit with very sharp utility knife to get the arrow out. Not sure how thick horse mats are but I hear good things about them. But I shoot some pretty fast bows. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:17 pm 

with me pulling under 30# I suspect they may bounce off, or maybe go just a little in.

Yeah, everyone seems to be using horsemats.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:43 pm 

Good news!

The six carbon turkey feathered arrows I bought from Wes came in today, and also, I was just out measuring the distance from where the backstop will be to the back of the property and it's almost 160 feet, somewhere between 150 and 160, so safe for bows 30# and under, like I will be using.

Of course when the backstop is up, I will purposely take a shot from the minimum distance I will be shooting (8 yards) and purposely aim up above the backstop, and if it lands still on my property, that will be extra confirmation.

So I'll actually be shooting with at least 174 feet from the property line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next