Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:21 pm 

Even 60# hunting bows land arrows within 50 yards of the missed target. If foolishly launched high, at a 35 to 40 degree angle, a 30# bow is unlikely to send the arrow more than 100yards.
Seems to me, I remember shooting my dad's #34 LesDunsden long bow at the high school football field(summer time). We could not make the far goal post on the football field. - what's that 110yards?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:29 pm 

Yes,

Even at a proper professional outdoor archery range, if someone is an idiot and purposely aims ridiculously high like you said, the arrow can still exit the property, which is why the first level of safety is always with the shooter themselves.

Obviously like I said, I will be aiming down towards the ground anyways, because my target will be standing on a platform made of two 5 gallon buckets and a plywood board, so the top of the target will maybe be a smidgen over 4ft in the air, but that's it. At 6'3-6'4 height like I said before that I am, I will be aiming at a noticeable downward angle.

I am also going to get some red tape, and make a line across my backstop, as a visiual "DO NOT AIM HIGHER THAN THIS" cue, and the same for the sides as a "DO NOT AIM LEFT/RIGHT OF THIS" cue.

Also, since the furthest distance I will be shooting from is 15 yards, I will have to aim a little lower than my target as well, to compensate for the rise, meaning I'd actually be aiming extremely low.

Of course, the further you are shooting from, the higher you have to aim, the more you can miss by, so the more space you'd need to make a safe shot. Since I have a short amount of space behind target, I can only shoot short distances, which is fine right now seeing how I'm still a beginner.

If I end up getting really into archery and develop the skill to shoot from 20 yards and beyond, then I will probably have to join an archery club to do longer distances.

Also, google's conversion tool tells me that 150ft, is apx 50 yards, so if a 60# hunting bow can land missed shots within that, my 20# (probably closer to 26/27/28#) draw weight due to having long arms beginner bow will certainly land missed arrows much sooner, especially when aimed low.

So yes, for what I will be doing, everything is safe.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:19 am 

Sounds good =)
All the best on your new hobby! I'd recommend getting a set of rubber finger savers, literally saves sore fingers if you are doing any amount of shooting, and handier than a glove imo.
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:11 am 

yes a finger tab, came in the kit with the bow, though I think I am going to get myself a glove, because the tab just feels weird to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:03 pm 

If shooting 3D targets, an arrow can glance off the top surface and bouncing up, travel 50 to 60 yards is usually all.
From a light bow, likely only 50 feet.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:42 pm 

yes, I'm gonna move the backstop up by 5 meters to make it at least 50 meters of space behind the target, but that may make the maximum distance I can shoot from maybe 12 yards, instead of 15 or so.

of course, with the horse mat being 4 feet up the the air, and 4 feet high, it will stop all arrows that travel up to 8 feet high, which should be the vast majority of them.

Not concerned about the arrows that go underneath the mat, because like I already said, arrows that go that low, aren't going to travel very far anyways.

I already have the 2 3 foot ground spikes bought, and 2 8 foot pressure treated 4x4's as well came to $51. The mat was bought on Tuesday. I was hoping to build it today, but my father said we have to wait a couple days at least for the ground to dry, because it is far too moist and muddy at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:24 pm 

If it's just you shooting and you've got 150 feet behind your target that is your property I'd think you have nothing to worry about, especially if your targets are down close to the ground =)
Here is a pic of the finger savers. Save a lot of hassle and keeps your fingers free. Image

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:27 pm 

Hmm,

I've never seen those before, how are they used, do they go on the string? on the fingers themselves?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:39 pm 

Yep on the string =)
You thread the string through it and put them where you want for drawing. (short one on top and long one underneath arrow)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:14 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Yep on the string =)
You thread the string through it and put them where you want for drawing. (short one on top and long one underneath arrow)

Not always. I shoot three under. Puts arrow closer to eye sight line. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
wesb2007 wrote:
Yep on the string =)

Not always. I shoot three under. Puts arrow closer to eye sight line. :)
Right, I should have said most do it that way. I'll have to try that, three under.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm 

At bass pro I was told 3 under, at the proper lesson I had, I was shown split (2 below 1 above) finger.

I guess I will have to find out what works best for me.

The bow I used at the lesson was a 62" 20# recurve with a whisker biscut rest, and I rather liked it, but I want to shoot off the shelf, and fortunately both sets of arrows I bought are feathered so I can do that, no problem.

My bow does have a spot for a screw in rest though, so if I decide to go with a whisker biscut in future, I can easily screw one on.

Though as I said, I want to do as traditional as possible, which to me means off the shelf, no sights, etc, and to learn instinctive.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:41 pm 

3 fingers under is normal/common for shooting Heavy Tackle Bare Bow or whatever they are calling unsighted hunting weight compounds today. I have

seen some recurve shooters today drawing 3-under.

I shot the unsighted 65# compound 3 under, but with my recurves years ago, and with long bows today, I use the normal "Mediterranean Draw" - one over, 2 under.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:38 pm 

Met the gentleman I talked about at the Niagara Falls Archery Club.

They all helped me set up my bow. I had a fun time, going back next week too.

My arrows got muddy, but a rag moist with soapy water cleaned them off good.

Here's my bow and some other photos I took.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm 

20 meter archery targets are much more forgiving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next