Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:31 pm 

I bought a 3 inch by 3 foot ABS pipe and a couple caps today, for storing/transporting my arrows safely.

Even though my arrows are feathered, the shelf of my bow still got a little scratched up, so I will need to get myself a bear hair rest, as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:48 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I bought a 3 inch by 3 foot ABS pipe and a couple caps today, for storing/transporting my arrows safely.

Even though my arrows are feathered, the shelf of my bow still got a little scratched up, so I will need to get myself a bear hair rest, as well.

Likely do more damage to fletching's in the tube banging on the sides and crunched together than just laying them on the car seat when travelling. :) arrow cases work good and keep them separated. Have not lost any fletching's yet? Will need a fletching jig, vanes, glue now that you went down the rabbit hole. Don't forget to lube the string. Get all that stuff and we go on to page two. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 pm 

No major issues with the damage yet.

One of the arrows did get stuck pretty deep in the wood frame of one of the targets, so the tip and the thing holding it in, got separated, but I have them, so I just need to glue the thing that holds the tip in back into the shaft, and then screw the tip in to that.

I only have six arrows right now, so they are very loose in the pipe, and not packed in tight at all, I bet even with 12 arrows, it would still be pretty loose. Of course, I won't be packing in anything tight, precisely to prevent any damage.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 am 

Watch the arrow that went into wood. I bet the arrow is compromised and the fibreglass is very much weakened and needs to be scrapped. Atleast that is my experience. Flex your fibreglass arrows often. For inserts I use JB Weld or 24 hour epoxy. Roll insert on a file to rough it up a bit before adding epoxy for a much better hold. Fletching I use Super Glue Gel. Metal arrows I have a 16 inch board with two marbles glue in wood at each end. Roll the arrow around on the marbles and it will show if arrow has a bend in it. But shooting a light draw weight you may be ok. My arrows goes in wood the arrow remains their. Just part of pay to play. :wink:

http://www.archerybuff.com/2011/archery ... ring-shot/

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:54 am 

I will for sure be taking a closer look at that arrow, just to make sure it's good, but I haven't noticed any damage when I pulled it out. May be safe because I was certainly pulling under 30#.

It happened when I was shooting at 20 yards, I noticed my arrows were going low very fast at that distance, so of course, I was aiming higher, above the center/bulls eye to try to get it on target, but also at that distance, if you are off target left/right as well, it is more pronounced, so sometimes they went far left/right.

I think at home I'll start at 5 yards, then move to 10, then maybe to 15.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:49 pm 

Fiberglass arrows used to be solid and Very heavy as with fishing arrows. When they break, they break. I did have some hollow fiberglass arrows many years ago
but unless China (or some other country) is making them, they are a thing of the past. When I broke Fiberglass arrows, they were obviously broken.

It's the hollow carbon fiber shafts that can be cracked or fractured and not noticeable unless flexed. I've read that carbon's should not be used for hunting, due to the
possibility of a shaft breaking on bone and leaving carbon slivers inside the animal which might become fatal for you if eaten.

I use only aluminum and Easton arrows at that.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm 

Having looked over the arrow, it is still straight, and there appears to be no damage to it. not that I was expecting any anyways, being that I was pulling under 30#.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:54 am 

With a split Carbon arrow, you cannot normally SEE the damage, you have to flex the shaft. Do not flex it towards your face.
If split, it might send a shard into one of your eyes. Not good.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 am 

I did flex it, nothing happened.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 pm 

If flexed and rotate and it doesn't shot fracturing, it's fine.

Did I mention I do not like carbon shafts?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:52 am 

I shoot carbon arrows in all my hunting bows and crossbows now. Used to shoot aluminum. But on my recurves I shoot aluminum still. I shoot Easton 2117's with 225 grain field points. I like the front being heavy. I just find the heavy front shoots way better out of the recurves. 45 pound @28 with my two recurves. I still find that aluminum flies better and accept a much lower tune on the bow than carbon. Aluminum is/was much more forgiving has been my experience. Still have all my aluminum for my hunting and target bow packed away in an arrow case. About 24 fletched and about ten brand new ones still unfletched incase I decide to switch back. Aluminum much easier to pull out of 3D animals. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 pm 

I came in here wondering if anyone knew much about archery and found this thread - very useful Twiggy!
I did it for a short while many years ago and thinking of having another crack and had all the same questions so this is great. I am just up the road from you, I know a fella in the Bass Pro archery section so might take a look there but otherwise, thinking the Cabela's 62" / 29 lb Ranger beginner bow might be a reasonable start.
I am a member at the range in Ancaster but not the archery section yet so first thing it to suss out if they are beginner-friendly.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:22 pm 

Glad it helped you DD.

As far as the arrow in question goes, I now know for certain it's okay, as I went a second time today, shot all the arrows, and nothing bad happened.

I seem to do best using Mediterranean draw, and now I have a bear hair rest on, it is working even better. As long as I am focusing and making sure my form is good, I can get good groups, and now I am using the tip of my arrows as reference.

they still had to help me string and unstring, so I need to practice more with the bow stringer.