Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:13 pm 

Well I got the dreaded creep. 177, using 7.4 Crosman Wadcutters, Chrony 3ft away, gun in the vise, so shooting over the same spot everytime. And yes the first shot always shoots over for some reason. I probably ran 800+ pellets over the chrony with this gun. So should be broken in.

Right now its shooting like a un regulated gun, with a curve. Before people freak out about the gun shooting over 500 FPS.. I have a RPAL and everything, and purpose of asking this..Because I'm stuck. It was shooting a bit over. Left sheet, so I backed off the hammer tension and got increase velocity

I increased the hammer tension back to where it was and got this...

I guess I'm gonna need to open it up and glue that piece in the reg, right?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:57 am 

Hi Robert,
Have you tried turning down the reg at all?

If you get higher velocity with less hammer strike it seems the hammer was turned up quite a lot. If turning down the reg doesn't work well for consistency, perhaps turning in the velocity screw on the port might help flatten things a bit, though I think your port should be pretty small already on that 177.

Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:09 am 

Leaving the creep aside, looking at your papers, all of them seem to show an increase as the pressure gets lower which would either suggest the reg is working better at high pressure and actually cutting the pressure lower, then as the pressure drops its letting the pressure get higher. This seems opposite to most of my experience, but your first shot being high velocity would suggest that your hammer is set strong enough for more pressure and is causing the velocity jump from the creep. I'd expect the opposite with how your string looks, especially with a creepy regulator =). I would have thought your first shot would be lower,
Hopefully Hobbyman or others will chime in. I never had great success gluing the reg seal in, but perhaps I didn't do something right. That may be the answer.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:51 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Leaving the creep aside, looking at your papers, all of them seem to show an increase as the pressure gets lower which would either suggest the reg is working better at high pressure and actually cutting the pressure lower, then as the pressure drops its letting the pressure get higher. This seems opposite to most of my experience, but your first shot being high velocity would suggest that your hammer is set strong enough for more pressure and is causing the velocity jump from the creep. I'd expect the opposite with how your string looks, especially with a creepy regulator =). I would have thought your first shot would be lower,
Hopefully Hobbyman or others will chime in. I never had great success gluing the reg seal in, but perhaps I didn't do something right. That may be the answer.
Regards,
Wes

I know backing off the hammer tension a MM changed it alot, but for the worst it seems. Which is the paper ( H ) off a bit. Just been stumped. I could try backing off the reg, vs the hammer. But this is all new to me. I must have ran over 1000 pellets over the chrony trying to tune this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:25 pm 

Bob did a topichttps://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic64317.html on how to tun a Regulated PCP, and it's very helpful for newbies.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:31 am 

Jesse0876 wrote:
Bob did a topichttps://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic64317.html on how to tun a Regulated PCP, and it's very helpful for newbies.

Thanks, Wes helped me. But with this reg, not much I could do. I would try and get the first 10 shots up past 480, and that would result in higher shot count above 500.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:53 am 

So I had to accept lower then I wanted numbers on the low end, to keep it from going over at the high end.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm 

I would go higher with the reg pressure , and use the hammer adjuster to lower the velocity . A couple other things to look at would be the white disc . I glued mine in and it seemed to have worked .the other would be the hammer spring guide , I have mine polished like a mirror and use a touch of moly on the spring to keep it as slick as possible . Great pistols for the money as long as you are willing to play with them a bit .