Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:14 pm 

[emoji38] however, I don't have a player for it anymore..... ImageImage

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm 

Search the FB buy and sells, get a VCR for 5$...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm 

I remember my first time watching VCR in my own home was about 20 or 23 / 25 years ago... Still remember like 4.heads, 8 heads VHS...bala bala....

But it was replaced by VCD so soon... Then DVD...BluRay... The only thing I didn't used is HD-DVD because its life is just so short and lost the fight vs Bluray...

The tapes are in very good condition and I got them for only 1.50$~ I want to find a VCR too.....but my wife will kill me if I dare to take such a 'garbage' home ~ [emoji38]

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:03 am 

I remember our first vcr had a remote.. doesn’t sound like a big deal now, but back then that remote was the envy of many. It didn’t work off of infrared, oh no - it had a long cable attached to it you strung across your living room to your couch! Can’t count the number of times we tripped over that thing.

I also remember getting charged an extra few dollars for returning a tape without rewinding it. Seems so silly now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:38 am 

I had a special equipment to rewind the tapes ~ because ppl there never returned the tapes after watching and the staffs some times can do that before handing the tape to next one some times just too busy to do so... Since then, there are rewinding machines in the market which can rewind the tapes 2, 3. times faster than on the player... Hearing how it working, I always afraid the tapes would be damaged in it (and it truly did so on the hot topics which had been passed around ppl for some time... [emoji38])

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:43 am 

My wife didn't know LaserDisc was different than CD's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:05 am 

Oh, yeah! The LDs~ but actually I didn't watch and own any LD and their players... Not even in my friends' home but maybe watch a few movies in the small (or say private ) cinemas but you don't know what media they are playing behind the wall...

For my age, at the time I started loving movies, the LD was far too expensive for the non HiFi fans or just already faded out when I can offer it...

And I remember I had been wondering how the machine 'turn' the disc to play the other side for many years.... And one day I knew it's turning the head instead of turning the BIG disc just made me laugh for my stupid for a long time ~ [emoji38]

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:57 pm 

I remember when I moved to Alberta, the FVW (First Video War - VHS versus Betamax), was in full swing. Simply because it was the superior technology (used for years in the professional and industrial video industry), I was BetamaxMan! I was given a moving allowance (no questions, but don't ask for more, arrangement). I "frugalized" the move (If someone can make up "monetize'" I'm all in - you heard it here first (circle c), and invested the $1300 I had left on the top-of-the-line Sony machine: freeze-frame, multi-speed playback, the whole ball of wax (no, celluloid). Six to eight months later, I was begging the video store (long before multi-chain companies such as Blockbuster) for "that movie in Beta." A couple of years after that. I sold that $1300 machine for $75 at a yard sale.

Life sucks. Trying to keep up with technology and the market's effect on who wins/loses, costs more than life itself. (c). :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 pm 

Cest la vie~

Anyone know what's a MD?!

The small disc for music in between CD and MP3... I had used Walkmans (AIWA and Sony) for some years when I was in high school... But never own a Discman... Then before buying MP3 player, I had a Sharp MD player... However this is another loser in the flight and soon replaced by the MP3 waves.... And it just disappeared so quickly, even the CD had standed for much longer vs the MP3... Maybe due to its high price and less users too...

Anyway, right now I don't think there is still ppl listen to music from a MP3 player not from the ALL in one smartphone...

In the past 50 years and the coming 50 years, in this remarkable 100 years I think we can just be the witnesses for the dramatic changes on everything around us...

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:58 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
I remember when I moved to Alberta, the FVW (First Video War - VHS versus Betamax), was in full swing. Simply because it was the superior technology (used for years in the professional and industrial video industry), I was BetamaxMan! I was given a moving allowance (no questions, but don't ask for more, arrangement). I "frugalized" the move (If someone can make up "monetize'" I'm all in - you heard it here first (circle c), and invested the $1300 I had left on the top-of-the-line Sony machine: freeze-frame, multi-speed playback, the whole ball of wax (no, celluloid). Six to eight months later, I was begging the video store (long before multi-chain companies such as Blockbuster) for "that movie in Beta." A couple of years after that. I sold that $1300 machine for $75 at a yard sale.

Life sucks. Trying to keep up with technology and the market's effect on who wins/loses, costs more than life itself. (c). :lol:

$75 is actually a small fortune in yard sale money.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:27 am 

YepYep wrote:
In the past 50 years and the coming 50 years, in this remarkable 100 years I think we can just be the witnesses for the dramatic changes on everything around us...

I mean personally in my life time and being only 34, Last year of the Gen X. Seen the amount of changes. Cassette to CD, to MP3s. No cell phones, to 12 years old having them now. No home computers, or not many had them because the cost. No color computers, to color ( 1996 is when I remember seeing the internet ) Libraries vs google. Even the changes in the Military from when I got in 2001 till my release. Was wearing OD green and still doing open field trench battles.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:41 am 

The cellphones' changes are very very dramatic too~ My auntie is the user of the first generation cellphone ( we called them 'water-bottle' in my hometown as its size and weight)... And I bought my first cellphone after graduated from university and had my job, a Ericsson which I had 3 batteries in my backpack to maintain its full day usage... Then we had color display... And then CAMERA! And the smartphones...

I was very late to use the smartphone and thought how to clean the screen of the 'finger-print collector' is a problem... And right now I just like everyone, get used to wipe my phone that many times on my shoulder, belly, butt... all day long....

At the very beginning, still not used to use the address book function and keep using my brain and my paper notebook... Then had to store numbers in the SIM card as you can bring it with you when you change phones (and refused to use the address book function from the phone)... At that time, every entry can store a name and a number and that's it.... Right now I put everything I have to the Contact, name, several numbers, email, address, photo, notes...bala bala.... And everything up in the cloud...

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 am 

I went to the bulk barn, there must been a school near by. I expect Grade 9 or so students in the line up.... Well they were paying by swiping their phones. All you need to do today is steal someone phone and I bet the amount of personal info on it. Would be unreal.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 am 

leadslinger wrote:
I went to the bulk barn, there must been a school near by. I expect Grade 9 or so students in the line up.... Well they were paying by swiping their phones. All you need to do today is steal someone phone and I bet the amount of personal info on it. Would be unreal.

Not easy to break into a phone to do unless you are an elite hacking institution. You can't just simply brute force your way in. But yes, all sorts of account and financial information is commonly stored on smart devices these days as designed.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:16 pm 

I remember VHS and VCRs being the main format when I was a little kid, then DVD took over, etc.

However, now I have a VCR and a tons of VHS tapes, I still add more by buying at thrift stores too.

Here's a photo I took, along with my three favorite things to watch on it:

Those Marilyn Manson tour concert/backstage tapes from the 90s are actually very sought after, and I have some friends jealous of the fact that I own a copy of both of them.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).