Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Would you vote in favour of this Bill?
Yes 68%  68%  [ 17 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 pm 

Went with the ayes, but not without misgivings.

Personally, I don't think there are anywhere near enough teachers willing, ready and able to take on a serious responsibility such as that.

Even more interesting would be the number of teachers actually willing to accept such a responsibility.....

Still have not seen the actual causes and conditions of the problem even remotely addressed~ there is something seriously wrong with a society that turns out people that are capable of such crimes...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:36 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Still have not seen the actual causes and conditions of the problem even remotely addressed~ there is something seriously wrong with a society that turns out people that are capable of such crimes...

-D.S.

Exactly!

+1 internet for you.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 pm 

You are absolutely right, Twiggy. Were you aware that the next mass shooing by an NRA member will be the first
yet the NRA gets blamed for every one of them. That alone should make you question the mental stability
of the other side and whether THEY should be allowed to possess firearms due to their instability and likelihood
of perpetrating another mass shooting. Every one of them has been a card-carrying Democrat or card-
carrying Democrat's son. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:47 pm 

Keep in mind, I am a rationalist (among other things), and I believe in using reason, logic, science, and being rational of course. So when I speak about mental health, I am speaking about it in a legitimate context and not as a blanket term, and not in the context of "they're goth, they must be mentally ill" or anything else like that.

When it comes to severe mental health issues which could make someone a danger to themselves or others, that is actually rather rare. The vast majority of mental disorders, do not present any danger to anyone.

As I said before, mental health issues are best left to mental health professionals, just like fixing cars is best left to certified auto mechanics, etc.

When it comes to NRA members, yes I am aware no mass shooting was committed by an NRA member. The closest may be Sandy Hook because Adam Lanza's mother was an NRA member, but he had to kill her to get her guns, so it's not like she helped him or condoned it or anything.

It was rationalism that led me towards the more pro-gun side, as if one is being rational, one will realize that you cannot legislate crime (including murder, assault, etc) away, because by definition criminals transcend the law. I think a lot of the anti-gun side, are starting from an emotional place and then trying to post-rationalize it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 pm 

Back to the topic, please.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:14 am 

Twiggy wrote:

Of course I think armed teachers should have to be trained, I don't support ANYONE just randomly buying a gun and using it, without being taught proper basic safety, handling, and care and demonstrating their knowledge before using said gun. While I am genuinely pro-gun, this is where I differ from the "no regulations at all" crowd, I don't want a know-nothing using a gun without supervision from a knowledgeable person, it's just an extremely bad idea.

Funny thing is, the locations with the most liberal gun laws (where anyone without a criminal record could by a gun) also happen to be the safest.

- An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

If you look up the statistics on mass shooting, you'll notice two trend
- they are fairly recent occurrence
- the nutcase always pick up locations where the victims will be defenseless.

Increasing the possibility that some random individual be armed, reduce the number of possible defenseless locations to find victims.

Kind of the same reason why you seldom read of armed robbery in Vermont or NH.
- If the cashier is not armed
- a customer might just be, and that customer might not appreciate the thug pointing a gun a him/her or a loved one

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:43 am 

Well I’m all for self defence, but if you’re going to use a tool that’s dangerous if not used safely and properly, then you should know safety first.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:00 am 

Just to stir things up... While training ought to be required, common sens is more important.

Heck, often enough, the mere presence of something will be enough to alter the behaviors of some potentially rogue individuals.
Point been, in Montreal a few years ago, the city realized that having officer-cadets standing around (while wearing uniform) got people to
- slow down
- mind their manners

Same could be said for a armed teacher

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:50 pm 

^

Of course, because it's obvious that there could be consequences. Just like how people speeding slow down when they see a police vehicle on the road.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 am 

sillymike wrote:
Funny thing is, the locations with the most liberal gun laws (where anyone without a criminal record could by a gun) also happen to be the safest.

- An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

If you look up the statistics on mass shooting, you'll notice two trend
- they are fairly recent occurrence
- the nutcase always pick up locations where the victims will be defenseless.

Increasing the possibility that some random individual be armed, reduce the number of possible defenseless locations to find victims.

Kind of the same reason why you seldom read of armed robbery in Vermont or NH.
- If the cashier is not armed
- a customer might just be, and that customer might not appreciate the thug pointing a gun a him/her or a loved one

Same reason why Dunkin Donuts used to offer free coffee to cops. They were open 24h a day, so more chances of being robbed but who would be dumb enough to rob a place where cops in uniform hang around...

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun