Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Would you vote in favour of this Bill?
Yes 68%  68%  [ 17 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:45 pm 

We'd like to hear your views.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-florida/florida-teachers-can-arm-themselves-under-new-gun-bill-idUSKCN1S74GZ

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm 

So, why we still need the cops and securities??

And the next step is the students can do so too??

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:21 pm 

The five that have voted "No," other than me: We'd like to hear your comments along with your vote.
Or, choose to remain anonymous; that's fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:45 pm 

Unfortunately, with the reality in the United States it is not a bad idea at all.

I get the aversion about "teachers with guns", however school shootings are now very common, and so having trained adults able to deal with such a situation is not at all crazy.

I'd rather have a teacher with a gun in the room with my hypothetical kid, than the teachers and students unarmed with my hypothetical kid in it in an unfortunate case of a school shooting.

Of course, we don't have this same epidemic here, we've had a handful of shootings, sure, but that was over 30 years.

There's a lot of societal issues in the United States, that are either nowhere near as bad here, or that just don't exist here at all. I don't think media (music/movies/video games, etc) plays any part in it. My favorite artist is Marilyn Manson, I play "violent video games" like Grand Theft Auto, I watch violent movies, listen to rock and "heavy metal", etc, and I don't even have a criminal record at all, and above that the government has saw fit to give me an RPAL as well.

Ultimately everyone is responsible for their own actions of course, but until shootings in the states are not used for political gain, until people stop scapegoating movies/music/games, etc some armed adults in schools is a "necessary evil".

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

Last edited by Twiggy on Thu May 02, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 pm 

It's not a simple question, at least to me. Lots of cons, but in some cases it could definitely be a life saver. It puts a lot of responsibility on the teacher and a dilemma as well. What is his job? Take out the killer or protect his kids? I'd think they'd have to make strict rules that each teacher needs to stay with their class and be responsible only for their own students protection and not go off Rambo style trying to hunt the killer while leaving their kids alone.
Also could see teachers start to get pressured to take the place of security guards in order to save schools money. That'd be terrible imo.
Anyway, I know nothing, and I haven't lived through any kind of violence like that so I'm more interested in others opinions that have been there in circumstances like that.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:37 pm 

If I would be in that situation I would agree with that bec, there is no escape in that situation, we are lucky here that we have a strict policy for guns, but we are also unlucky because we will not be able to know how to react in that situation, and we are relying on our lawmaker to decide this for us, even thou that we have strict policy, this things will happen and there is no escape or magic pill to avoid this situation, just look at the news and you'll see that its not only in the US, it's everywhere .

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:38 am 

I voted yes for the simple reason that having an armed qualified/trained person already on the site could ultimately save numerous lives as we all know time is of the essence in these situations. I think and armed teacher is better than an armed security guard when both are equally qualified. By the time a 911 call is made and law enforcement arrives on the scene, it is usually too late to save numerous victims. This is simply being pro-active instead of re-active to a given situation. My understanding is that this would be voluntary for a teacher, and not all teachers would be required to participate in this program.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:44 am 

I would have to look at the numbers.

How many people are actually injured and killed in school shootings versus how many accidental injuries and deaths could we expect if most teachers were armed?

Otherwise you're just making a decision based on emotion.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 am 

YepYep wrote:
So, why we still need the cops and securities??

And the next step is the students can do so too??

Because sometimes the cops are just too far away. And every second counts. This is the problem Canadians are facing in rural communities and why they are saying guns are needed for protection. It might take the police 15mins to get to my place. 15mins in a life or death situation is too long.

These teachers like many gun owners will have to go thru alot of tests and courses to be qualified. Its not just matter of throwing a gun on the hip and walking around.

Teacher can stand their ground, protect the students, and stop the gun man. Or can run and hide and wait to be shot like fish in a barrel. Same as many vets agree to stand guard at schools.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am 

I have no issues with qualified arm security in schools, even our own in Canada. Key word, qualified. Just because you take a safety course and can operate a firearm in a safe manner at the range doesn't mean you can do so under duress. I would say that most people cannot perform under such conditions. I would say most would not keep up the training and psychological evaluations to remain qualified.

Whether teacher, paid security, or law enforcement, there should be a qualification/certification standard that is annually evaluated for the role. Under those conditions I would say yes.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I have no issues with qualified arm security in schools, even our own in Canada. Key word, qualified. Just because you take a safety course and can operate a firearm in a safe manner at the range doesn't mean you can do so under duress. I would say that most people cannot perform under such conditions. I would say most would not keep up the training and psychological evaluations to remain qualified.

Whether teacher, paid security, or law enforcement, there should be a qualification/certification standard that is annually evaluated for the role. Under those conditions I would say yes.

And not knocking police, or military. Just because you carry a gun every day doesn't mean you are good or an expert.. I know many police officers and they say some people barely qualify every year. Buddy showed me a group of a 10 year veteran of the police force. I could group better blind folded with a shotgun loaded with double o buck. She was proud of the 1 in the bulleyes. With rest in the 7-8 zone. Im sure it was only 10M. Since police don't shoot more than that really. Most after 15M, grab a carbine. I shoot PPC and basically do their qualification weekly. Yet they're better than I am? Police need to have qualifications quarterly. Because I took a 4 month break from shooting, when I got back. I was rusty. I put 2 in the no score zone. Once a year isn't enough. But then I shot recently. I shot, I shot 24rds each at 7, 10, 15M.. And was only down 16 points. But 20M is when I got sloppy.

I would call myself a experienced shooter.

Military Ive been shot at by my own, due to negligence. Than the Taliban.

So like school bus drivers and other people that need to be up to day on safety, back ground checks etc. Due to carrying around children. People that CCW should have to do frequent courses, to maintain their qualification.

And yes some people are not mentally ready to do so.. Ive seen people freeze in situations that you shouldn't.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 am 

Yeah, qualification is very important and I can't agree more on leadslinger, this 'qualify' is a true qualify or just because the guy finish the course?!

IMO, 70% of the drivers on the road is not a good driver, and maybe 50% or them should not get the driver license even... So should we give a car (gun) to these person to drive (shoot)? I don't think so.... However they are still driving all the day and maybe not now, but in the future, I think one day not even the teachers need to bring a gun with them to go out?!

And I don't disagree to an armed teacher. But this teacher must be a GOOD teacher, a teacher loves his/her students, and ready to stand out and sacrifice even his/her life as needed. And also a pre-condition, this teacher need to have the gift to learn and qualified for being a good shooter too. Looks We are watching a Hollywood movie?!

If this not gona happen, find a place to hide and wait for the professionals arrive should be better... It's hard to be a hero. It's in real life... Just don't understand why our world turns this bad today....

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:17 am 

Like at Parkland, the armed policeman at the school, hid outside while the shooting was going on
as well hid with his local fellow police-officers after they arrived. It was the Rural Police who stormed the
school to stop the shooting - going right past the local Parkland police who were all outside.
Were the Parkland Police cowards or simply following orders?
It appears to have been the latter, and politically motivated.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:37 pm 

I vote yes. it,s the teachers decision and if they are willing and get the right training I say they should go for it. I don,t know how this would work but I was thinking of signs or placques outside of the school that says "some teachers in this school may be armed". a crazy might see that and think twice about going inside that day .

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:26 pm 

pete wrote:
I vote yes. it,s the teachers decision and if they are willing and get the right training I say they should go for it. I don,t know how this would work but I was thinking of signs or placques outside of the school that says "some teachers in this school may be armed". a crazy might see that and think twice about going inside that day .
Good point!!

And I agree we should not close the door to the teachers who are willing to take this responsibility to protect their students.

~Target~