Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Sig P-226 Pellet.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:53 am 

I had been wondering about these for some time now.
Middling price point makes it seem almost reasonable....

I suppose that price range doesn't merit a cheap plastic case.
The blister/cardboard packaging seems fairly robust, and should last a while, until I can get a cheap foam lined case for it.

Stippled nylon grips. Gun is devoid of the white letter markings usually found on others...

Triple white dot system. Sights still show up better with my +2.75 readers on.

Dual ended rotary magazine system. 7.9 crosman f/t domes load , feed, and cycle with zero problems.

Cam roller CO-2 cartridge compartment. Nothing to turn, or adjust. Just put a drop of oil on the nose of the CO-2 bulb, insert it nose-up, and squeeze the cover closed. That's all it takes...

A target pistol it definitely ain't.
It shoots far too low off the fixed sights to be used at 7 paces. 5 is more like it. Gun does not seem to be horribly under-powered, and smacks the soda can with enough authority to knock it over. I'll chrony later.
Every pellet I aimed at the can at 15 feet connected~ which is pretty darned good for my eyes and poor pistol form...

Blow back is nice and strong, but no where near real 9mm recoil.
I actually like this system- the blow back provides continuous single action shooting. Single action pull is a bit on the mushy side until final take up. Doesn't take long to figure out where the sear is going to trip.
D/A pull is a bit on the gritty side, but already feels like it's starting to smooth out.

I got 54 shots off one bulb, until the blow-back stopped. That's a decent shot count for a blow-back air pistol, I think.

It's a ton of fun to shoot! I like this pistol a lot.
Heft and sight out-line are not so different than my Umarex /Berretta 92-F. Not nearly as accurate, but still a good, fun plinker....

-D.S.

Post subject: Re: Sig P-226 Pellet.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 am 

Nice pictures and review of this popular air pistol ~ really nice pictures indeed ~

Can 'knock off' a soda can means it's not too powerful [emoji38] if with enough power ( close to 500fps), it should make a nice cut on it without pushing forward the can~

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 am 

Those photo's were taken with a now old phone- My S-6.
I relamped the shop T-8 fluorescents to Sylvania SUBSTITUBE L.E.D. lamps, and they really seem to help the circuitry on the phone.
There's no pulse to them, and my F-1 chrony should work under them.

I'm guessing the pistol's velocity is about the mid 300's by what I'm seeing on the soda cans.
Will try and chrony tonight if I can get the time.
Will also try different weight pellets. I'd like to get the p.o.i. up a bit...
The hammer drops pretty hard on the de-cocking safety- there's a definite click there. Safety must be blocking the sear though. Gun will not fire on safety de-cock.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:43 am 

I have this pistol for a while now, everything is good, only complain is that the magazine ejection button is so light to touch that i always eject the magazine accidentally.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:34 pm 

Yeah... Based on the can looks like after being shot, it should about the speed you guessed. If close to 500, and the domed Crosman pellets, it should just cut through can and not moving it too much ~

I will try to use the lightest pellets on it for the below 400fps muzzle speed... But not sure how it would change the POI...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:39 am 

Shot with it some more tonight.

The valve must have been filled with oil.
It sprayed a fair amount around the hammer area through the blow-back cycle...

This pistol has the most positive caplet piercing system I have ever seen on a CO-2 gun...

Just as a comparison, here's a look at how my Umarex/Beretta pierces...

I ran both guns over the chrony tonight, this time with 12 gram Crosman CO-2 caplets.

Shot count lowered a bit over the Daisy I used in the previous session.

Blow back stopped at shot #43. I dumped the remaining gas after shot #44 for fear of lodging a pellet in the bore.

Highest velocity was 432.9. There were only 4 shots that broke 400 fps with the 7.9 Crosman F/T domes.

Lowest velocity was at shot # 44, 127.8 fps. That, my friends, is an over 300 fps variation :shock:

Ran the Beretta as a counter comparison, and a way to give a little time between shots~ I'd shoot one with the Beretta, and then one with the Sig....

The German made Beretta faired quite a bit better in terms of consistency. It's highest velocity was 428.9 fps, and broke 400 for 16 shots out of 48. It's lowest velocity was 337.9 fps.

Both guns were shot single action only.

The Beretta has the better trigger pull in single action. It's horse-shoe shaped rear sight is slightly easier for me to use. It is still the CO-2 pistol I am most likely to hit with in my entire collection...

Both guns bell curve over the life of the caplet- the Beretta quite a bit more evenly.

The Sig 226 Pellet's blow back action is nice, as is the positive caplet piercing system. It's heft and balance equals the Beretta 92-F. With only about 100 shots through it, the trigger is likely still breaking in.

I think the 179.00 and taxes I paid for it is a reasonable expenditure.
The fun factor is high, especially when it comes to rapid fire plinking.
I still like it a lot, and am looking forward to shooting it more over the course of the summer.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:08 pm 

Forgot to post this last night- just a quick visual comparison...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 am 

I should have waited a week for this. On sale this week-end at Cabela's 50.00 off...

-D.S.