Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Airgunners
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 pm 

Lately, I have had a few customers that are getting into air-gunning. Many of them have been powder burner shooters for years and now want to switch to Airguns. I find that it is both exciting and also not so much exciting at times. Many of them are used to just pulling the trigger and gun going boom, regardless of the environmental conditions. For example, I have had some folks that tried to shoot a MP40 full auto BB gun in -5C and complained that the gun is broken. Some of them get the point when you try to explain to them however there are some that become rude and believe that I sold them a dud. Many times I end up taking the gun back and sell as "used" item. This is bad for many reasons. Some are -

1. First impression that the new enthusiast got is that airguns suck.
2. When dealers end up getting too many returns, it becomes hard to run the business
3. It ends up hurting other air-gunners if the dealer becomes too rigid about their return policies etc etc

I am sure many other dealers get similar ordeal going on.

This definitely is a double edged sword. On one hand we want to encourage more people joining the sport, on the other hand, I do not really want that to happen at costs borne by my business.

Just wanted to share this with wider audience as you guys might find it interesting to read. Feel free to comment.

Post subject: Re: New Airgunners
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:44 pm 

Retail 'aint easy for that very reason.
You need a very strict return policy, or sufficient sales volume to absorb the cost. I think the general consumer easily gets discouraged and has grown accustomed to satisfaction guaranteed. Charge a restocking fee if gun is not defective - probably a good enough deterrent to keep the doofuses at bay, and reasonable enough to not put off the rest of us.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:20 pm 

Don't think I could do retail all day long and not loose my mind!

You want a educated customer... but many of them "know" better.
When they've made a mistake, you don't want to be condescending...

And then there are the "expectations" to deal with... gets even worse with the "replica" pellet gun.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:33 pm 

If I were in the airgun business, at each airgun sale, I would include a small brochure explaining the different powerplants (break barrel (spring, gas ram), pcp, CO2, pumper) with their positive and negative points. This with a notice on your website and nobody could claim not to know that CO2 is not effective at a low temperature, not to dry-fire a springer, etc.

Croman Medalist 1322 Phase 2
Diana 20 T01, Diana 240 Classic T05 .22
Diana 34 .22, Crosman Phantom .22

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:38 pm 

I wouldn't be in business too long. I would be telling people that they're stupid. Wife deals daily with New Yorkers. One wanted to sue because it was raining and veggies got wet. Cannot say what she really thinks and just has to agree. Anyhoo...

But then again, there are new and old firearm owners that are dumber than bricks. It's that day and age, everybody expects every store to be like amazon, and many don't do any research.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:46 pm 

I don't make any major purchases without doing some research first.

To not do so, is just being an idiot, pure and simple.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:55 pm 

Raman, you and the other airgun retailers provide an important service to all the airgunners in Canada. Please do not let a few "bad apples" spoil it for the rest of us.

I know I support you, & hope the rest of the community feels the same.

On another note, please tell us about some of the new & exciting products you plan on bring in this summer. For example, any idea when the Glock 17 Gen 4 and Glock 19x are coming to North America? Although I am not a convert to the "Church of Glock", I am still interesting in getting a Glock for my airgun collection, and the European reviews for these two have been very positive.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:19 pm 

Raman It's gonna get worst, if Liberal government goes ahead with a semi auto firearm/handgun ban. Many will flock to airguns.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:47 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Raman It's gonna get worst, if Liberal government goes ahead with a semi auto firearm/handgun ban. Many will flock to airguns.

You're probably correct, I was into air guns before I had a PAL. If this handgun/semi-auto ban does become a reality, that will be all "powder burner" guns gone except for my old break action single barrel bakial shotgun that was made in the USSR...

I've only shot it once though, so I guess that would mean I'd have reason to become more familiar with it. :P.

It would indeed lead to growth of the airgun community.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:58 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

You're probably correct, I was into air guns before I had a PAL. If this handgun/semi-auto ban does become a reality, that will be all "powder burner" guns gone except for my old break action single barrel bakial shotgun that was made in the USSR...

I've only shot it once though, so I guess that would mean I'd have reason to become more familiar with it. :P.

It would indeed lead to growth of the airgun community.

I'm not going to go that easy. I got way more invested in restricted then you. And I'm not gonna be like okay here you go, no big deal. I got this other gun I can use. And the growth wouldn't be in the good way. Increase of people = more airgun crimes = more laws.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:31 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

I'm not going to go that easy..

I respect that, the idea of civil disobedience is indeed important, and showing the government that people aren't going to obey bad laws is important. However at my age I still have hopefully at least almost another 60 years of life left, so it's not worth risking a criminal record and a firearms charge(s) especially.

If you're older and have most of your life already past you, or if you are willing to essentially become a martyr, then more power to you.

However I don't expect very many people to actually not comply, even most of the people who say they won't, that's just me being real.

Back on topic though,

People who are new to anything should do research and test try out if possible before getting into it. Recently, I have gotten into archery, and I do now have a bow and a set of arrows. However before that, I did like two weeks of research, had a 1 hour lesson, to make sure I like it, and then I bought the equipment. It's sad that what to me is such an obvious thing, seems to escape lots of people.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:12 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I respect that, the idea of civil disobedience is indeed important, and showing the government that people aren't going to obey bad laws is important. However at my age I still have hopefully at least almost another 60 years of life left, so it's not worth risking a criminal record and a firearms charge(s) especially.

If you're older and have most of your life already past you, or if you are willing to essentially become a martyr, then more power to you.

However I don't expect very many people to actually not comply, even most of the people who say they won't, that's just me being real.

Back on topic though,

People who are new to anything should do research and test try out if possible before getting into it. Recently, I have gotten into archery, and I do now have a bow and a set of arrows. However before that, I did like two weeks of research, had a 1 hour lesson, to make sure I like it, and then I bought the equipment. It's sad that what to me is such an obvious thing, seems to escape lots of people.

HEY HEY!!!!! you saying us old people have nothing to live for? I can tell you life gets better with age. We are like fine wine. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Back on topic though,

I don't know how knowledgeable you are with firearms.. Umm when Quebec told people they had to register their firearms. 7% complied. When NZ told people that they had to comply. Only 37 guns were turned in. When Canada prohibed the VZ 858 and the Swiss Arm rifles. Not many complied. But that's facts.

You're more then welcome to cave in and comply. Might as well sell them now. I fought for the country, I sure as hell will fight them. Ain't the first time I have. And I still don't have a criminal record.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:02 am 

Thanks for your comments guys.

On a positive note, I have a few things coming soon.

Crosman's MPW Full Auto Rifle has been approved for Canada and the Distributor has a very few pcs coming. I will be picking up more than 50% of their stock.

http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/cros ... b-gun.html

Should be available in a month or so.

Also have the M11 Rifles coming in .22 and .25 cal by first of week of June.

http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/arte ... 5-cal.html

http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/arte ... 2-cal.html

PP700S-A Pistols in 0.22 cal will be back in stock at the same time as they are in the same shipment.

Also have a caliber conversion kit for PP700S-A Pistols that will let you swap barrels between 0.22 and 0.177.

Another thing worth mentioning is the PP800 Pistols in 0.25 cal. This is a rare caliber when it comes to pistols. They are detuned and will shoot in early 400s(fps).

http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/spa- ... 5-cal.html

I might have a couple of them in Chaser kit with shoulder stock etc.

Later this year, we will have Artemis SR900S side lever rifles in 0.177 and 0.22. They will be detuned to shoot below 500.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:01 pm 

Sounds great. Any info about the Glock 17 Gen 4 & Glock 19x?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next