Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:42 pm 

I dont know what's involved in changing an order in council. Can Scheer simply make an order to make all banned arms PAL rated again ?.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:19 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
I dont know what's involved in changing an order in council. Can Scheer simply make an order to make all banned arms PAL rated again ?.

I don't think so. Because Harper didn't do it with Class 12-3/5 prohib firearms. Which the RCMP revoked all ATT to take them to the range in 2005.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:34 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Tony Clement stated today he has information that Trudeau is planning to ban some firearms by order next month.
https://thegunblog.ca/2019/05/09/trudea ... ment-says/

Attachment:
59771452_416337192410042_2712335593309225469_n.jpg

You can take it as the unadulterated truth that when the gunblog says something its the solid truth. These guys set the record straight, they never play politics, and they have no axe to grind. They are the true newsmen who tell us just the facts.

DeeEnvy wrote:
Tony is a slimeball.

True enough. But what counts more than anything else, more than his sexting scandal that led to the Conservatives kicking him out of caucus, is that he made a claim that challenged the accepted wisdom that there was no gun ban in the offing. It doesn't matter if it's true. What matters more is that he raised the alarm that gun laws might change. This alarm can't be raised too often. It's heartening to see that Clement has added his voice to those that have reminded us that new anti gun laws are coming ever since Mulroney left politics.

leadslinger wrote:
DeeEnvy wrote:
Tony is a slimeball. I wouldn't believe a word he says.

Well Bill didn't deny it. And Its something Trudeau would do. Hes got that god mentality, that he can do whatever he wants. Hes a sinking ship, that he set on fire, cranked the engines to full throttle and aimed it at the docks.

Desperate to get some followers.

It does sound like something Trudeau would do, doesn't it. What kind of nut is he to think that reducing the number of guns anywhere solves anything. There was a gun ban in Australia and that didn't end crime. This "god mentality" has got to go. He can't do whatever he wants. I'll bet he can't fly by flapping his arms.

leadslinger wrote:
wllm995 wrote:
Forum rules

1 Political, religious, ideological posts are not allowed.

Sorry Doug, 100s thousand of people are at risk of losing their personal property, and made into criminals. We need all people made aware of whats going on. Because with a firearm ban in the wind, many will flock to airguns. And not all for the good.

That's also the problem is many don't care because it doesn't effect them.

If a semi auto/handgun ban comes in effect. Alot of military history firearms will get destroyed. M1 carbines, M1 Garands, SVT40s, G43s... ETC

I'll lose about 10,000$ in property.

This isn't really political, is it? It's not like anyone is playing politics. In any case when someone is at risk of losing $1000's of property more people should be concerned. After all, nothing (or almost nothing) can be more important than the guns of lawful gun owners.

Twiggy wrote:
^

I'd hope that maybe current owners would be grandfathered, so that they can at least keep their property for collection/history if not use. Unfortunately, these liberals don't care about the fact that this is people's private property they are talking about.

It's a real shame that liberals don't appreciate history the same way as do those who accumulate guns for historical study. Even Liberals, that is members of the Liberal Party, know that. That's why it was a Liberal administration that came up with the idea of grandfathering prohibited firearms -- it was for the purposes of historical education.

paddyfritz wrote:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Thomas Jefferson

Darn right. Every time an unjust law is passed by the government people ought to consider following Jefferson's idea. Some people may have trouble figuring out whether a law is truly unjust. I'm almost sure that it was Jefferson's compatriot Benjamin Franklin who made clear how this was to be done. Franklin said "If a law feels unjust, then it probably is. Let no government make people feel uncomfortable. For the pursuit of happiness is paramount as a right and as a pastime."

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:23 pm 

Orders in Council can make changes that are in the direction of the original statute, is my understanding. Taking something banned and de-banning it, is impossible without parliament approval.

https://cssa-cila.org/

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 10,2019

UPDATE: Liberal Government’s “Sweeping Gun Ban” to Ban AR-15 Rifles

OSHAWA - M.P. Tony Clement’s question about a possible gun ban by Order in Council, combined with Minister Bill Blair’s subsequent non-answer, sparked a firestorm of speculation yesterday.

Today, two separate, unconnected government sources, one of whom who has direct knowledge of the plan, confirm the Liberal government’s proposed “sweeping gun ban” will include the AR-15 target rifle.

We have no information if any other firearms will be included.

Coincidentally, in response to a question from TheGunBlog.ca, the RCMP revealed Canadians own 66,262 AR-15 rifles.i

In 2016, the RCMP reported 84,288 “registered AR-15 type rifles and variants” in response to an Access to Information Request filed by firearm researcher Dennis Young.ii

Given a low estimate $1500 per firearm, such a buyback would cost $126 million to the taxpayers of Canada. There has only been ONE (stolen) AR-15 used in the commission of a crime (2004) in Canada.

Will current owners of AR-15 rifles be permitted to keep their lawfully owned property under the delayed confiscation system known as “Grandfathering”?

We don’t know, but it appears likely, based upon Bill C-71’s proposed firearm classifications 12(11) and 12(14).

Will current owners of AR-15 rifles be permitted to take their guns to the shooting range for target practice and shooting competitions?

Again, we don’t know but it appears likely, based upon Bill C-71’s proposed firearm classifications 12(11) and 12(14).

The official announcement is speculated to take place at the Women Deliver Conference in Vancouver June 3-6, hosted by the Prime Minister’s wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau.

The civilian AR-15 is the most produced sporting rifle in the world and the standard “patrol carbine” used by almost all Canadian police services to save lives. In Canada, civilian AR-15 magazines are limited to five shots and may be discharged only on a legitimate shooting range

We will continue to provide you with the latest on this developing issue as we learn more. For now, all we know from two high-ranking officials is the AR-15 rifle, will be included in the government’s “sweeping gun ban.”

i https://thegunblog.ca/2019/05/08/canadi ... rcmp-says/

ii https://dennisryoung.ca/2016/12/22/rcmp ... territory/

– 30 –

For further information, please contact:

Tony Bernardo, Executive Director

1-905-999-4339

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:42 pm 

Grandfathering is/must be the rule of thumb. There is no other choice at this

time. Otherwise, there will be blood spilled on Canadian doorsteps. This will

all bear on the "clown's" shoulders at this time.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:50 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Hopefully there will be grand fathering.

Last edited by Twiggy on Fri May 10, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 pm 

Would be purely a political move, he will be fulfilling one of his campaign promises he made, and make it seem like hes getting things done going into election...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Hopefully.

What a bold statement, hoping for bloodshed on the clown Clement's shoulders. Or is it someone else's blood? Who's blood and who's shoulders aside, it's quite something for a forum member to post such desires so publicly. You might want to remove that post.

In any case, it's not worth it for the popular sporting rifle, the AR 15. As Daryl says in an earlier post, quoting the news release by the CSSA,

Daryl wrote:
https://cssa-cila.org/

NEWS RELEASE

UPDATE: Liberal Government’s “Sweeping Gun Ban” to Ban AR-15 Rifles

OSHAWA - M.P. Tony Clement’s question about a possible gun ban by Order in Council, combined with Minister Bill Blair’s subsequent non-answer, sparked a firestorm of speculation yesterday.

Today, two separate, unconnected government sources, one of whom who has direct knowledge of the plan, confirm the Liberal government’s proposed “sweeping gun ban” will include the AR-15 target rifle.

We have no information if any other firearms will be included.

Will current owners of AR-15 rifles be permitted to keep their lawfully owned property under the delayed confiscation system known as “Grandfathering”?

Will current owners of AR-15 rifles be permitted to take their guns to the shooting range for target practice and shooting competitions?

The civilian AR-15 is the most produced sporting rifle in the world and the standard “patrol carbine” used by almost all Canadian police services to save lives. In Canada, civilian AR-15 magazines are limited to five shots and may be discharged only on a legitimate shooting range

This is a simple target rifle, a sporting rifle that saves lives in the hands of the police. Why would the government want to ban a simple target rifle? And the question of grandfathering is nuts. As the news release notes, it is only "delayed confiscation". No one wants their confiscation delayed.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:

What a bold statement, hoping for bloodshed on the clown Clement's shoulders. Or is it someone else's blood? Who's blood and who's shoulders aside, it's quite something for a forum member to post such desires so publicly. You might want to remove that post.

In any case, it's not worth it for the popular sporting rifle, the AR 15. As Daryl says in an earlier post, quoting the news release by the CSSA,

I think it's pretty clear I meant that hopefully there would be grand fathering. The fact that you jump to such conclusions as you did, really says something about you, if anything.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Penage Guy wrote:

I think it's pretty clear I meant that hopefully there would be grand fathering. The fact that you jump to such conclusions as you did, really says something about you, if anything.

Quote:
Grandfathering is/must be the rule of thumb. There is no other choice at thistime. Otherwise, there will be blood spilled on Canadian doorsteps.

Sorry Kevin, But it reads as clear as he said it.. Grandfather these guns, or blood will be shed. Why would there be blood shed if they don't? Called.. People will take up arms, to protect their guns. DUH.. Called Molon Labe ( Come and take them )

But Trudeau is going in Oct, so he wouldn't really have enough time, or budget to implement any sort of confiscation.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 pm 

Crazies will take up arms.

"Molon Labe" doesn't matter if you are dead, nothing matters if you are dead. I doubt the few people who might actually do such a thing will last long. I'd strongly advise against it.

It's not worth dying over, literally very close to nothing is worth dying over, just by the fact that if you are dead nothing at all matters anymore since you no longer exist and are not able to care, because uh, you wouldn't exist...

Only situation I'd possibly do something like that, is if violence like that was visited upon me, but in that case I'd simply be defending myself, which is a different story entirely.

The way to do things, without going to crazy levels, is to help make sure the liberals do not win in October.

I take my one and only life very seriously, and so there are very, very few things I would put it at severe risk over, and the only thing I can really think of is defending loved ones, but even then I'm not sure.

I would highly recommend that anyone in the "molon labe" camp truly consider what death means, to realize that "dead is dead", and then see if it would really be worth it.

Last edited by Twiggy on Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:20 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Crazies will take up arms.

"Molon Labe" doesn't matter if you are dead, nothing matters if you are dead. I doubt the few people who might actually do such a thing will last long. I'd strongly advise against it.

It's not worth dying over, literally very close to nothing is worth dying over, just by the fact that if you are dead nothing at all matters anymore since you no longer exist and are not able to care, because uh, you wouldn't exist...

Only situation I'd possibly do something like that, is if violence like that was visited upon me, but in that case I'd simply be defending myself, which is a different story entirely.

The way to do things, without going to crazy levels, is to help make sure the liberals do not win in October.

The reason most would give the bullets first isnt over the loss of the firearm, its the loss of freedom and the tyranny that will follow.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:45 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
The reason most would give the bullets first isnt over the loss of the firearm, its the loss of freedom and the tyranny that will follow.

I guess it ultimately comes down to your hierarchy of values. My atheistic religion (Satanism) states "Self-Preservation is the highest law", and martyrdom is looked upon as stupidity. It's even been stated by the high priest himself that if there was some "witch hunt" of Satanists, he would not be ashamed of hiding, precisely for this reason. Obviously, if you don't believe in an afterlife, this one is far more meaningful and precious to you, than if you think you'll get another one somehow.

So according to my hierarchy of values, myself as an individual and the preservation of myself, are the highest values. Putting myself at great risk, for any cause, is stupidity as far as my worldview goes.

Of course different people have different values, that's just part of individuality, which is something I am a big supporter of, so you decide for yourself, I will decide for myself. It's not my place to tell you how to handle your life, nor your place to tell me how to handle mine.

I'm just speaking for myself here.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 am 

Well, that's it. Some of you guys just can't have a legitimate conversation about a very significant issue in the firearm world without name-calling, political slander, absolute speculation stated as fact, predictions of death and doom, and of course, all this in the name of freakin' satanism. We've given a lot of slack here because it is such an important issue. But if you can't maintain an intelligent discussion, then there won't be any discussion at all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2