Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:12 pm 

After shooting at the fun shoot at HAHA May 11 I would like to participate in some of the FT events. I currently have a FWB 124D .177 that I'm going to get back in to order with a Maccari tuning kit shortly. I was considering buying a PCP rifle as well.

After doing some research I was considering the Air Arms S510 Ultimate in .22 caliber. I was looking at .22 to allow me to shoot FT and to use it for plinking around home and small game hunting. I also considered an FX Dreamline as it is light weight and can be modified to shoot other calibers. I am somewhat unsure of the FX as it hasn't been proven yet while the AA seems to have been around a while and they have just added the regulator. My preference is to keep the purchase price under $2k as there are a number of peripherals I will have to purchase as well.

I received the following from AA answering some of my questions wrt to detuning the fun to meet FT requirements of 20 ft-lb:
Hello Rob,

Thanks for your email and enquiry regarding the Ultimate Sporter XS rifle.

In answer to your questions, all the rifles are individually set, and we record the average velocity at maximum setting over 50 shots, this would give a reading between 890 and 995 fps. This is using an 18 grain heavy pellet.
We are unable to give you the exact fps at each power setting as you would need to test your rifle over a chronograph and record the information, as they are all different. The power will vary between 7ft lbs and 32 ftlbs at the minimum to maximum settings.
The gun will be accurate still at the 20 ftlbs setting, but depends on the distance you are shooting over.
We set and test the rifles on the Air Arms pellets, 15.9 grain weight, and the power will vary depending on the pellets chosen. You could also use the JSB Exact pellets.
The rifle would need to be refilled when it drops to 150 BAR pressure. All rifles have a 1 year manufacturers warranty, but some Countries offer extended warranties, you would need to check with your chosen retailer.

I hope I have answered your questions sufficiently, but if you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Kind regards,

Sheila
Air Arms

A few questions:
- is .22 an appropriate caliber given I have to likely turn down any air rifle to meet the 20 ft-lb limit?
- with my limited experience in FT are the 2 rifles I am considering appropriate?
- is there a better rifle option without breaking the bank?
- would a .177 caliber PCP give me the option of competing under the 12 ft-lb rules or is that likely to be a separate rifle requirement to get that low in PCP?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

rob g wrote:
A few questions:
- is .22 an appropriate caliber given I have to likely turn down any air rifle to meet the 20 ft-lb limit?
- with my limited experience in FT are the 2 rifles I am considering appropriate?
- is there a better rifle option without breaking the bank?
- would a .177 caliber PCP give me the option of competing under the 12 ft-lb rules or is that likely to be a separate rifle requirement to get that low in PCP?

- There are a few guys who use .22 - the only issue is that when shooting sub 20fpe, the .22 JSB Express will only be going about 800fps, which is fine, but in .177 @ 20fpe they're in the low to mid 900s. So you'll have to be better at range estimation (if you're shooting Hunter FT - if you're shooting Open, they you can just range with your scope, or a laser range finder)

- AA are great, so are FX. It really boils down to what fits your best. The really high $$ rifles are very ergonomic and adjustable. My .22 Benjamin Discovery shoots as accurately as my full blown Steyr FT rig.

- I can't think of anything off the top of my head, there's a bunch of great rifles out there. Sounds like you want a multi-shot (makes sense for hunting) The HW100 is also a great rifle. Nothing wrong with a Marauder either, as long as you're willing to tune it up!

- Based on that email from AA, it sounds like that AA Ultimate Sporter shoots below 12fpe on it's lowest setting, so if you get that in .177 it should work? I'd not recommend using .22 in sub 12fpe, the trajectory would be very severe, still doable, but you'd have to have a scope that's very good at range finding in order to have any chance of hitting things.

The 1st match of the season at Port Colborne is next weekend, May 25th. If you pm me your email address, I'll add you to the mailing list.

Good luck, and welcome to the sport!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:52 pm 

Hi Rob

The 510 is a great rifle in .22 and in .177. For FT, .177 is more appropriate and allows you to shoot at sub 20 ft/lb or sub 12 ft/lb. Some use .22 and like it because the pellets are easier to handle.

Our club at Grenville does not allow anything above .177 due to the possible target damage from .22 up near 20 ft/lb. Also the Grenville club has 1000 members and the organizers did not want someone going to the Airgun range with a .22 rim fire after reading that .22 could be used on the range. Stranger things have happened.

Every AA gun I have owned have been very accurate rifles. Can’t go wrong.

Good advice above from Tom.

Last edited by Mac on Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I forgot to mention that FX probably has their 'smooth twist' barrel, which from my understanding, doesn't work all that well at lower power. As Mac said, you can't go wrong with AA.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I was really wondering if .177 would be the better caliber over .22. I guess I'll see how my fwb124 performs first once I get it fixed up before I invest in another rifle.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:15 am 
Supporting Member 2009

From purely a FT perspective, yes, 177 is the way to go.

For hunting, once you go above 20fpe, 22 starts to make sense, but really, a 177 going at 900fps is going to be just as deadly as a 22 going at the same speed on small game.

The other thing to take into account is that if you're adjusting the power on a 22, you'll have to set up aim points for both settings.