Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:42 am 

I have two Crosman 622 that I bought in 2016. One of them was leaking and has been the subject of a post where it was disassembled to fix the valve by adding three more anchor pins. The 622 is notorious to have a failure on the casting of the valve because it was held by a single screw.

The problem I have is with the one bought from Mr Marvin and until now was working perfectly. As far as I know it has never been disassembled and I would like to keep it that way if I can.

Having so many different model I, sometimes, cannot remember if the airgun must be cocked or uncocked before loading the CO2 cartridge. As I exercised my Crosman 1100 right before and it requires that it should be cocked, I did the same with the 622.

After tightening the cap as far as it could go and pulling the trigger, I got nothing. After a several attempts, I unscrewed the cap (not under pressure) and saw that the end of the caplet was indented but not pierced.

I then tried a few more Crosman caplets (including one from a friend which was not from the same batch) and obtained the same result, a dent but not hole. I should mentioned that I tried uncocked and cocked when I inserted the caplet and tightened the cap.

I also had a few Tactical Crusader caplets on hand and, as a last resort, decided to used one as a test. This time I got the rifle powered.

After shooting several mags until the power dropped, I removed the caplet only to discover that it was barely pierced and still releasing a light stream of CO2.

The factory manual troubleshooting section is not very useful as it mentions that the guide collar (500-064) might be too tight. I don't see how it could have changed by itself. The last time I used the rifle it was working fine.

Anybody who had experienced something similar?

Thanks.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:20 pm 

Sounds like a value/piercing issue.

Mine was working really well when I bought it (on eBay) last year. Accurate and getting approx. 36 good shots per CO2. Then after about 8 months of occasional usage, it started to leak CO2 as soon as the cartridge was pierced. Leak would stop after a couple of shots.

Eventually took it to Rob @ R&R Airgun Repair.

http://www.randrairgunrepair.com/

For a very reasonable price he repaired it, and it is now working way better than ever. Now getting around 45+ shots per CO2 & no occasional feeding jam. Also seems to shoot a bit stronger, but I don't have chrono so I can't tell for sure. I think he is the only person in Canada that has new Crosman original spare 6 shot clips for it.

And don't be worried, Rob took mine apart and reassembled it, and you could not tell. Since the 622's were made over 40 years ago, the all must have been disassembled at one point or another to replace seals that eventually wear out or dry out.

Bought a bunch of tins of Stoeger X-Match Precision flat head pellets, when they were on clearance at Cabela's. They work well in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 pm 

Hi BB1Shooter.

I am not sure what you mean by value/piercing issue.

My rifle is not leaking at all, it is just that the cartridge is not pierced.

I am not sure what happened since the last time I used it, except that the newer batch of CO2 cartridges might have a thicker skin than in the past.

Worst case scenario, I will have to opened the rifle to fix it but it is something that I would like to avoid if possible.

If nobody experienced something similar, it is probably what I will have to do even if it is not my first choice.

Thanks anyway.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:26 pm 

I don't repair airguns so I'm not up on the technical terminology. But would seem like there is an issue with the part of the gun that pierces the CO2.

I'm not sure a slightly thicker top to the CO2 is the issue. If you ever saw a 1970/80's Crosman CO2 cartridge, you would see that the "bottle cap" top is much thicker than anything made today.

But good luck with your repair, keep us posted.