Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:57 pm 

I had a FX Streamline in .25 for few months and I loved that airgun.
It was dead accurate and so much fun to shoot.
But I always had my eyes on Impact and finally I decided to buy it since the new MKll is better then the older model.
With my Streamline in .25, I shot gophers and pigeons only.

I am very confuse between these 2 calibers.

Please advise.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 pm 

.25 should do all you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:43 pm 

I have a Royal 300, the model previous to your Stream Line and an Impact. Both very accurate. The 300 is a lot lighter, making it nice for hunting.
Nothing bad to say about the Impact. Both nice and quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FX 300
FX Impact

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:48 pm 

Ninjababy wrote:
I had a FX Streamline in .25 for few months and I loved that airgun.
It was dead accurate and so much fun to shoot.
But I always had my eyes on Impact and finally I decided to buy it since the new MKll is better then the older model.
With my Streamline in .25, I shot gophers and pigeons only.

I am very confuse between these 2 calibers.

Please advise.

Generally speaking, people shooting .25, like you, are hunting and using standard manufactured pellets. Those shooting .30 seem to drift into casting bullets to experiment with velocities/weights; to try variations to the limited (and expensive) pellet selection. If the thought of casting your own bullets intrigues you, you might want to (a) consider the .30, and (b) search rsterne's (Bob) posts for his solid and thorough advice on casting your own bullets. Bob's the technical editor (hope I got that right) at Hard Air Magazine (online).

Bob's profile: member3684.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:42 pm 

If you’re planing on hunting , have a good read on local laws for small game . Here in Ontario nothing bigger than a .270 caliber . That includes air rifles which would fall under the firearms classification . As far as big game , don’t quote me but is illegal across all provinces with an air rifle . Again probably best to know local laws . I would go .25 and get some ( although expensive) cast bullets from NSA or start casting your own .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm 

Below is from the current hunting guide. It would be best to contact your local MNR office to confirm details.

A person hunting small game may not carry or use a rifle of greater calibre than a .275-calibre rifle, except a muzzle-loading gun, in the geographic areas of Brant, Chatham-Kent, Durham, Elgin, Essex, Haldimand, Halton, Hamilton, Huron, Lambton, Middlesex, Niagara, Norfolk, Northumberland, Oxford, Peel, Perth, Toronto, Waterloo, Wellington or York.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 pm 

Interesting, Rob. Years ago, they noted .270 but they allowed .270Winchester which shoot .277" bullets.
With the designation of .275", that would exclude the .270 Winch. & the newer 6.8 mil. ctg. but allow, of course all the 6.5's, which are 264" to .268".

From 1968 to 1972, I used a .22-250 but mostly a 6.5Rem Mag. with 85gr. HP's at 3,600fps and 100gr. HP's at 3,200fps for groundhogs & foxes, in Middlesex County. Fox bounty kept me in reloading supplies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:34 pm 

Hi guys, I have decided that I will get FX Impact MKll and will also get a slug liner for it too once it is available here.
.25 Impact MKll is few weeks/months away. However, the .30 caliber is in stock right now.
I am not sure which caliber should I get? Please advice me here and give as much suggestions as you can
I will use the impact for pest control along with some small game hunting.
I love to shooting long distances and top notch quality optics and firearms.
I have already bought a new Nightforce ATACR with $500 mounts for the Impact MKll.
so how much difference will be there in sound between the 25 and 30 caliber shots?
and the difference between the amount of air used in 30 compared to 25?
What I really need to know is what will I gain in 30 caliber and what will I loose in 30 caliber?
Please advice me if I should wait for the .25 caliber or just pick up the .30 caliber FX Impact MKll?

Thanks guys!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:05 am 

Ninjababy wrote:
Hi guys, I have decided that I will get FX Impact MKll and will also get a slug liner for it too once it is available here.
.25 Impact MKll is few weeks/months away. However, the .30 caliber is in stock right now.
I am not sure which caliber should I get? Please advice me here and give as much suggestions as you can
I will use the impact for pest control along with some small game hunting.
I love to shooting long distances and top notch quality optics and firearms.
I have already bought a new Nightforce ATACR with $500 mounts for the Impact MKll.
so how much difference will be there in sound between the 25 and 30 caliber shots?
and the difference between the amount of air used in 30 compared to 25?
What I really need to know is what will I gain in 30 caliber and what will I loose in 30 caliber?
Please advice me if I should wait for the .25 caliber or just pick up the .30 caliber FX Impact MKll?

Thanks guys!!

Hello Ninja ,
This may help you decide on the 30 or 25cal. Sorry for not finding it for you but.
There is a English England video on youtube showing the results of a .22 rimfire VS FX Boss in .30cal. They are shooting the head of a Fox to see which caliber does the most damage up close, you'll be amazed...
Captain Air