Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Tennessee long gun
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm 

Hi airmec. Well done on your purchase. What you have is a generic replica of a southern mountain rifle. Here, the small calibre denotes it to be a "squirrel" rifle as Doc mentioned.
Squirrel rifles are generally categorized from .40cal. on down to about .25.
The round balls for the .40 are very light at about 94gr.(.395" & pure lead), thus makes them not suitable for deer, imho, although coyotes and smaller game are easily in their realm. In some States
in the USA they are legal for deer, but not in very many. Where they are, the deer are usually quite small, about the same size as the larger Haida Gwaii deer - 100 lbs.
48" twist is normal for .40cal. and smaller. .45 can larger usually, but not always, have rates of twist from 56" to 66".
The suggestion that 48" is both a conical bullet and RB twist is not acknowledged as being a legitimate statement by anyone who has much of a broad experience in shooting these guns.
I've made a study of shooting muzzleloading rifles and smoothbores since 1972 and can back that statement up with facts of failures on large game using slugs from 48" twist guns. They are
the reason we lost our primitive hunt in BC. The game branch decided .45 through .54 calibre (the most common up there) ML's could not kill a moose reliably. This was due to the instability of the
slugs after they contacted flesh. They would not travel in a straight line through the lungs, but would deviate on ribs and even on muscle, to go over or around the lungs. Bloody inconsistent.
Consistency of line of flight after impact is important to have the ball or bullet go straight where it is aimed, not to leave that trajectory is it hits something harder than fat.
Learn to load and shoot patched round balls. They will not only be more accurate, but are traditional for that style of gun, while conical bullets are not. There are not many slugs of that calibre available, anyway. Round balls go in a straight line after impact. They also kill better than conicals, which are moving slower and are usually more pointed than the ball's spherical shape. The hemispherical shape simply hits harder.
If you have any questions at all, please ask - here, or by PM. I am willing to help in any way I can. There is nothing more rewarding than mastering a gun fashioned after guns of the 1800-1875 period.
Yes - flintlock rifles of this general style were built in the Mountains of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia to and even later than the 1875 era. Families were still using them to collect their daily food, even after the turn to the 20th century.
My own Southern squirrel rifle is quite similar to yours. Plain maple stock & a flintlock.

Attachments:
PB141912_zps86dbed1f.jpg
PB141912_zps86dbed1f.jpg [ 63.81 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
PB141909_zps49c06c67.jpg
PB141909_zps49c06c67.jpg [ 49.37 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm 

notec wrote:
Beautiful!! That's the gun they used to shoot at the neighbor........if he live a mile away :lol:

notec - about the maximum range of that rifle is 600 to 700yards, if held at about a 35 to 40 degree angle. The maximum accuracy range
might be closer to 175yards, with a good tight load & someone who actually practices at that range with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:46 pm 

Hi Daryl, thanks for the good words, and VERY informative reply, it's much appreciated sir! There's nobody in my area that could be of any help, so your input is quite precious.

Yes I'd have a lot of questions, not quite sure where to start :lol: .

The very first thing that comes to my mind is that my gun has never been fired, so should I ''proof load'' it? If so, how do I do that? Should I use Pyrodex, or ''real'' black powder? I can buy Goex black powder over here. And then, should I use FFG or FFFG in my gun? What would be the minimum, but also the maximum powder charge? The barrel is a Green Mountain one, cut riffled, and I only saw good comments on these.

I don't know for sure when the gun was built, I haven't found much infos on the builder (Brian Turner), but he seems to have a very good reputation, so I'm rather confident about the general quality.

And thanks for posting pictures of your long gun, it's a real nice one! I really love the simple but classy style of these guns, I think I'm addicted!

Thanks for your help :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:07 pm 

Black Powder will get into your skin and the only way to help with this affliction, is to shoot it as often as possible.
Cleaning it properly, is the only way to keep it shooting well. Same day cleaning is the MOST preferred way, especially
back in the East, or close to the ocean. If the relative humidity is under 34%, you can get away with cleaning the 2nd
or 3rd day after shooting.
Use only real black powder. Do not, I repeat, do not under any circumstances use Pyrodex or other perchlorate based powders,
like Black Mag 3. There are others - phony powders are generally to be avoided.
They will destroy the bore on your rifle. Do not believe anyone who tells you differently. Pyrodex is poison to your gun.

Some use T-7 in cap lock rifles. T-7, or Triple 7 form Hodgdon actually has no perchlorate in it, however it's msds sheet says otherwise.
T-7 will not work well in a flintlock ignition system unless real BP is used for priming as well as 20gr. or so in the breech to get that powder
burning. Gross hangfires, missfires and complete failure to fire are it's problems. Best to use real Black Power only.
trackofthewolf.com has flints.

10oz demin (.022") is the best material for patching round balls.
8 oz. denim works OK in many rifles, if you use a ball that is only .005" under bore size.
If anyone suggested .010" to 015" patches, I would not listen to much of what they have to say.
They are most likely raw beginners as well.
Don't use slugs in a round ball twist. 48" to 80" are round ball twists. 48" was the most popular twist back in early
to late 1800's, for muzzleloaders. Some early breechloading companies, like Winchester, used slow round-ball
twists in their ctg. rifles. They were quite famous for being inaccurate at anything but close range.

Too bad you didn't live out here. We have an exceptionally well organized black powder section at our gun club.
A google search might find you one locally to you. As well, asking on a site like the ALR site will also bring local BP shooters
to your computer.

The Eastern Townships are quite lovely to drive through. We did that last August - nice trip. There should be lots of places you can
shoot there - farms, etc. Hopefully, there is a gun club with BP shooters close by.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 am 

Thank you for these VERY good informations Daryl :) . For the ML/BP noob I am, this is valuable, first-hand knowledge there. I'm sure you could write a best-selling book on the subject!

I've checked for a BP/ML club over here, and haven't found any yet, the interest just doesn't seem to be there :( . The few persons to which I spoke are interested only in inline, ''high-performance'' MLs for hunting. One of them even looked at me like I was an ET, and told me words I won't repeat here. Nobody is interested in ''Historical shooting'', albeit there is interest in history and antique ways of living. I think high insurance costs and general perception of guns are big factors hampering the interest. As for shooting clubs/ranges, one now need a PAL to be able to register, even for under-500 fps air guns.

Very glad you liked your journey through the Eastern Townships, it indeed is a very nice place to live. I'm native from Magog, right by the Memphremagog lake, but I moved away a couple years ago. It became too much of a touristic area for me, I prefer more quiet places, also cost of living has unfortunately got much higher in the last 10-15 years (in Magog).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:39 am 

Francois, that is the way of 'things' today. We are very fortunate here. We built out trail walk in 1982, 54 targets long. From close targets like cutting strings and splitting playing cards on edge, to larger animal gongs of steel from 25 to 110yards. We also have a number of ladies who shoot with us.

Attachments:
P4191700.jpg
P4191700.jpg [ 136.92 KiB | Viewed 619 times ]
P5022113.jpg
P5022113.jpg [ 328.28 KiB | Viewed 619 times ]
P7242209.jpg
P7242209.jpg [ 150.6 KiB | Viewed 619 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:45 am 

some others - top pic, me shooting at a ram target, about 55 meters.
second, is Hatchet Jack with his Flint 20 bore - shooting trap
3rd is my bro, shooting off a chunk at a 60 yard target with his .50 Flint "Voluptuous Virginia" rifle.

Attachments:
P7242203.jpg
P7242203.jpg [ 262.22 KiB | Viewed 619 times ]
P8072228.jpg
P8072228.jpg [ 41.86 KiB | Viewed 619 times ]
P7281407.jpg
P7281407.jpg [ 111.8 KiB | Viewed 619 times ]