Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am 

I need a back yard friendly target rifle that is quiet. As an example AA 400 series older versions are super quiet in 12fpe . A pcp would be better than C02 but C02 has gotten better.
My nephew is in the Navy now and I have been teaching him but we need bolts air, soft we have. ..22s are easier to load but .177cal will do just fine. We will be shooting very under powered pcp at long distances dealing and learning about doping the wind and elevation changes. Up north is where we will be practicing as well at our cottage. So for the back yard sake it has to be quiet.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or sales ,

Captain Air ( Italo )
437-224-4134 cell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:38 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
When experimenting with my Cometa Orion .22, which is quite loud out of the box @ + 800 FPS, swapping out the hammer spring to something lighter took the velocity way down and made for a pretty quiet and inexpensive bolt action rifle. Once done, there is an external adjustment screw which allows for some flexibility in terms of noise and power without pulling the rifle apart again for further modification. I suspect the same would hold true for my Benjamin Marauder which could be run both PCP HPA or Bulk Fill CO2. The Marauder is a popular, highly adjustable, well documented dual gas bolt action rifle as well. If you are contemplating purchasing one of these new, it might be wise to act soon as the RCMP have recently added this model to the list of airguns which can no longer be imported into Canada. Not sure if anyone has ever tabulated the SPL of non-Moderated airguns in Canada, but my guess is it's all going to boil down to power, volume of compressed air or gas behind the pellet and barrel length. Stands to reason noise level will be directly related to how much HPA or CO2 exits the barrel. I believe one will get higher velocities with lower pressure from a longer barrel than short, which may also lend itself to a quieter report. There are a number of very knowledgeable members on the forum like rsterne who may be able to assist you further.

Cheers,

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:44 pm 

If you are looking for >500 fps, non-PAL CO2 bolt action air rifles, I would forward two suggestions.

An Artemis CR600W in .22 cal. Has a 7 shot rotary mag.

Or the Mosin Nagant M1944. A nice BB bolt action. Very close replica of a real bolt action military rifle. Has 16 shot mag.

Both are nice plinkers and are fairly accurate (at least up to 35 ft.).

The Mosin has nice weight to it and has the feel of the real firearm.

I have both, and use them regularly. I would recommend both.

There are other bolt action air rifles like the QB78, which are single shot bolt action.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:13 pm 

I also would reccomend the Artemis 495 fps pcp in 22 or 177 rifle for quiet and great value, though it might seem self serving, since I sell them. I haven't seen anything quieter, and the 177 gets like 150 shots per fill, even without a regulator.
To me, these are the best buy for a low power pcp a guy can get, but I'm biased of course! =) Image

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:08 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
When experimenting with my Cometa Orion .22, which is quite loud out of the box @ + 800 FPS, swapping out the hammer spring to something lighter took the velocity way down and made for a pretty quiet and inexpensive bolt action rifle. Once done, there is an external adjustment screw which allows for some flexibility in terms of noise and power without pulling the rifle apart again for further modification. I suspect the same would hold true for my Benjamin Marauder which could be run both PCP HPA or Bulk Fill CO2. The Marauder is a popular, highly adjustable, well documented dual gas bolt action rifle as well. If you are contemplating purchasing one of these new, it might be wise to act soon as the RCMP have recently added this model to the list of airguns which can no longer be imported into Canada. Not sure if anyone has ever tabulated the SPL of non-Moderated airguns in Canada, but my guess is it's all going to boil down to power, volume of compressed air or gas behind the pellet and barrel length. Stands to reason noise level will be directly related to how much HPA or CO2 exits the barrel. I believe one will get higher velocities with lower pressure from a longer barrel than short, which may also lend itself to a quieter report. There are a number of very knowledgeable members on the forum like rsterne who may be able to assist you further.

Cheers,

Avianmanor

Hi Avianmanor ,
wow I had no idea the Marauder is on that list. You gave me an idea . Maybe I can get AGS to modifie the Marauder down to 600 FPS. Man, that could be super quiet if they can achieve that. Also CO2 , thats a biggy for me as I sold my tanks for now. got a small one coming. I get them bumped to 3450 psi from a whole day fill. I haven't joined the 4500 Carbon Fiber club yet lol. So I think I may just order that. I wish they came shorter but I guess that would mean louder. Thanks again Avianmanor ,
I'll let you know if the Marauder with out steroids sounds quiet.
Cheers,
Captain Air ( Italo )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:20 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
I also would reccomend the Artemis 495 fps pcp in 22 or 177 rifle for quiet and great value, though it might seem self serving, since I sell them. I haven't seen anything quieter, and the 177 gets like 150 shots per fill, even without a regulator.
To me, these are the best buy for a low power pcp a guy can get, but I'm biased of course! =) Image

Thanks Wesb2007 ,
I did get one yesterday ...mine is very loud I got the wrong one, dam. It's the pal .22cal version. maybe shoots 500fps with a 14gr. I did also get the QB78 .177cal .... it's super quiet ! But a real downer in the pellet fiddling dept. I screwed up again. that's 2 rifles I made a mistake. I took about a hundred shots but I realized I can't stand the focus , fiddling takes away from serious shooting. I know better than this. Even in the .22cal shot tray on my Artemis is not a good option at all. I should of gotten the AA400 .177cal 12fpe at least the loading would be fast.
Cheers,
Italo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:28 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
If you are looking for >500 fps, non-PAL CO2 bolt action air rifles, I would forward two suggestions.

An Artemis CR600W in .22 cal. Has a 7 shot rotary mag.

Or the Mosin Nagant M1944. A nice BB bolt action. Very close replica of a real bolt action military rifle. Has 16 shot mag.

Both are nice plinkers and are fairly accurate (at least up to 35 ft.).

The Mosin has nice weight to it and has the feel of the real firearm.

I have both, and use them regularly. I would recommend both.

There are other bolt action air rifles like the QB78, which are single shot bolt action.

Hi BB1shooter ,

I do have your sugestions . So I could of got the 177 non-pal CR not my .22.
Well I may try the MRod custom tuned to me . Its just so old school pcp lol'
Thank you BB1shooter,
Cheers,
Italo Captain Air

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 am 

Hay a pellet loading pen could make it a lot less fussy to load pellets. so you could focus more on shooting without having to change guns. just a thought Not sure if Wesb. sells them or AGS but CSS has them. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 am 

Captain Air wrote:
wesb2007 wrote:

Thanks Wesb2007 ,
I did get one yesterday ...mine is very loud I got the wrong one, dam. It's the pal .22cal version. maybe shoots 500fps with a 14gr. I did also get the QB78 .177cal .... it's super quiet ! But a real downer in the pellet fiddling dept. I screwed up again. that's 2 rifles I made a mistake. I took about a hundred shots but I realized I can't stand the focus , fiddling takes away from serious shooting. I know better than this. Even in the .22cal shot tray on my Artemis is not a good option at all. I should of gotten the AA400 .177cal 12fpe at least the loading would be fast.
Cheers,
Italo

Get some long fine tip tweezers for those pesky 177 pellets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 am 

I've got pellet pens as well, but they also sell many places. Did you prefer single shot, or were you having trouble with the 7 shot mag in the Artemis? There is a procedure of loading the first pellet from the back skirt first after winding the front Plexiglass counterclockwise, then turning it over and feeding the rest head first as you turn the front cover. Anyway, perhaps you prefer the single shot for target shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 am 

Captain Air wrote:
wesb2007 wrote:

Thanks Wesb2007 ,
Cheers,
Italo

Cr600w "loud"? , anyhow very easy to tune them down with a hammer spring trim and /Or swap out to a smaller transfer port(available on Ebay) my cr600w is very quiet it has 2.3mm transfer port fyi.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 am 

Yep, easy to tune down.
Did you get the co2 or pcp? I'm guessing co2? If co2 it still can be quieted a lot as suggested above. Even if you leave the transfer port and cut the hammer spring down some, it will make it much quieter. You can also just fill your transfer port with jb weld and then redrill it out smaller once dry.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:47 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hi Avianmanor ,
wow I had no idea the Marauder is on that list. You gave me an idea . Maybe I can get AGS to modifie the Marauder down to 600 FPS. Man, that could be super quiet if they can achieve that. Also CO2 , thats a biggy for me as I sold my tanks for now. got a small one coming. I get them bumped to 3450 psi from a whole day fill. I haven't joined the 4500 Carbon Fiber club yet lol. So I think I may just order that. I wish they came shorter but I guess that would mean louder. Thanks again Avianmanor ,
I'll let you know if the Marauder with out steroids sounds quiet.
Cheers,
Captain Air (Italo)

Hi Italo,

Yes, the Marauder is a classic for sure and looks a little different than allot of the other rifles out there. I guess you either like it or hate it. Overall I believe it's one of the better values out there in entry level PCP. I'm sure Travis or one of the other guys at AGS could detune it to 600 FPS, but it won't be very quiet at that velocity. In your OP (original post) you mentioned you wanted low velocity ....... 600 FPS isn't all that low, and would still technically qualify as a firearm as well (if that factors into your selection). Once you get below 500 FPS, things quiet down quite a bit.

A while back I purchased a Huma-Air On-The-Fly-Adjustable HPA external regulator, and this might be an option worth considering as you can tether this between your HPA source and your rifle and regulate pressure up and down at will until you find the right combination of velocity verses noise level. Being regulated, shot groups at whatever pressure you happen to be dialed in at will be very consistent, and at lower pressures, for the purposes of studying ballistics and projectile curve, errors due to changing pressure can be eliminated. With said Huma-Air regulator, you can have your cake and eat it too, as any rifle you happen to already own could be easily dialed up or down in terms of pressure/velocity/power/noise, without having to modify the airgun. Of course if you want something you can carry around in the field without being tethered to an HPA source, this plan won't work for you; a permanent internally installed regulator tuned to a specific pressure for that model of rifle would be an alternate solution.

If you are seriously thinking about purchasing any of the airgun models I currently own (listed in my signature) including the Marauder, I could always put my SPL meter to work with a specific gun/pressure combination using my Huma and provide results at various pressures/ velocities. This way you would know in advance what to expect from a custom tuned Marauder.

I suspect as well that a .177 calibre is going to be less noisy than a .22 at a given velocity, but of course ballistics and trajectories will also differ -I only have one .177 in my collection (Brocock Concept 6), but tests could be performed as above on this model as well. Happy to invest some time to help in your decision Italo, if you're serious about all this.

Here is a link to the Huma-Air regulator I mentioned -it's not cheap, but quality equipment never is. https://www.huma-air.com/Externally-Adj ... ed-Fillset

Cheers and good luck,

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:12 pm 

walther wrote:
Cr600w "loud"? , anyhow very easy to tune them down with a hammer spring trim and /Or swap out to a smaller transfer port(available on Ebay) my cr600w is very quiet it has 2.3mm transfer port fyi.

Or just order from Wes, 7$ shipped. I got a TP that I could open up to whatever size and a hammer spring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:28 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
walther wrote:

Or just order from Wes, 7$ shipped. I got a TP that I could open up to whatever size and a hammer spring.

Wes Rocks!