Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 am 

Last session at the gravel pit, my 24" 1760 bbl'd 13-77 was starting to spread a bit on groups.
I think the last cleaning it got was about 3 years ago. This carbine is my most used test platform, and it gets a steady diet of new to me pellets, along with old favorites.

I used Bio CLP by Otis Outdoors. There was a lot of black crud in the rifling. I've always been amazed at how dirty this bore can get before groups start to open up.

Here's a quick after-cleaning group I shot tonight with the little 3-12 X 44 Spike side focus scope aboard....

It will tighten up a bit yet, group wise. I do better with a slightly fouled bore on this carbine, than a squeaky clean one.
Another 10 or 15 shots should bring her home to where I want her...

-D.S.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am 

Very nice!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 am 

Funny you should mention cleaning. I had my AT44 out yesterday for its first session in 2-3 years, Shooting CPHP which it really likes I noticed groups were rather wide. So after about 10 clips *100 pellets) I decided to give it a cleaning. I ran 5 wet q tip ends soaked in goo gone followed by 6 dry ones through ahead of some slightly bent Stoeger wads (the ones I got scrambled from Cabellas). But I noticed that even shooting with the cleaning tips I was able to hit my 2" target at 30 yards. After that groups tightened up considerably, back to less than 3/4" at 30 yds which is where I remember it. And, to my surprise it shoots those stoegers to the same poi and just as good as the CPHP so I now have a use for them other than cleaning. Its remarkable for a wad at 30 yds.
So, clean your bore occasionally when you feel groups are opening up. It works!

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum