Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What is the best "bang-for-the-buck" scope on the market?
Aztec 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Bushnell 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
Hawke 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
Leupold 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
MTC Optics 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Nikon 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Leapers 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
Sightron 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Simmons 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Vortex Optics 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 41
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Curious to know what other members are using for scopes and what is considered the best value in our Air-gunning community. Please respond from personal experience /ownership and not what you might have read somewhere. 10 items max are allowed in any poll -hope your brand is on the list.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65
Benjamin Marauder
FX Dreamline
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800
FX Radar Chrony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 am 

I don't own or have used one but from what I have read Discovery scopes should be on the list.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:22 am 

Yep, I agree.

I bought one 40mm AO model from Wes when it just arrived and have been using it for a while so far.

It's in very good price.

It's well functioned, turret, mil dots, springer rated....

Its glass is good too. Maybe you will say it's not as bright as other famous brands (like Hawke...), the difference is very little.

Its package, stuffs comes with the scope, booklets inside the box.... everything is unexpected well for its price tag...

And from the YouTube video, the interesting abuse test the Chinese did on the scope just WOW.... You can just throw it into the high air like a grenade won't damage it.... [emoji38]

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:31 am 

Ive been running a Nikko Stirling mountmaster 3-9x40AO. It's sat on a few airguns over the years, and some 22LR. I paid under 90$ a few years ago.

Another is Tasco Varmint 2.5-10x42 AO, and the 6-24x42 AO. We had one on an AR for over a decade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:06 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I don't own or have used one but from what I have read Discovery scopes should be on the list.

As per my OP, please limit comments / votes to personal experience / ownership.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65
Benjamin Marauder
FX Dreamline
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800
FX Radar Chrony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:37 am 

Not on the list but I bought a few CentePoint scopes and they've been clear and reliable for not much money

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:54 am 

For compact variable power scopes I found the Vector 3-9x32 a great option for the money, with the ohhunt 3-9X32 a very close 2nd.
They aren't as clear as the Discovery VT-1 scopes around the same price, but if you need something compact they are a good option.
Edit: I was on tapatalk and didn't see the list. My apologies.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:34 pm 

Vortex. I have an older 4-12X 40mm A/O diamondback with the front A/O ring, and it's still the best scope in the stable.

While I haven't had it on a springer (and likely won't), it has done the bulk of my air rifle testing. Pricing may seem kind of high compared to what's available~ but you do get what you pay for when it comes to optical precision.

Bushnell Banner- this is a true bargain, especially the 6-24X 42mm mil-dot. Built like a tank, and I had it on a couple of medium power springers.
It is useful for pellet testing, which the 2 of mine see a lot of. It's a bit of a handful to hunt with, but it can be done.
I have a 6-18X 50 that I actually don't care for that much. It is not as optically precise as others in the Banner line.
I've had 2 4-12 X Banner A/O's that I've wrecked on springers, so the line is not infallible.

Discovery- I have 2 in the stable, both less than a year old, and both the same scope- 3-9X 40mm A/O with the front focussing collar. These are so far a true bargain, and almost the lowest priced true mil-dots I've been able to get my hands on. They seem to hold a zero very well, and are quite bright and clear...

Be interesting to see the o/p's experiences here :wink:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 am 

3-9x40 vortex diamondback on HW80 for couple years. Each time i pick it up its held zero, each time I pick up something else im reminded how clear the vortex is.

MP 61 (soon to be another convert with peep sight)

HW 45
HW 80

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:51 am 

I ve had a leapers bugbuster for quite awhile now. Been pretty happy with it , especially for the price.
Never loses settings, was fun on a marlin 39As lever action
Love the close up focus to 3 m.
Wes 's ohunt is similiar.

Cp88 nickel comp. modded
Tanfoglio Limited Custom .177 BB
P226 x-five open comp tuned
Gsg-92 full race IPSC style mod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:41 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Be interesting to see the o/p's experiences here :wink:

-D.S.

Sure thing, here is a short list of all 11 rifle scopes I currently own in order of value for the dollar in IMHO. The number beside each (1 to 11) indicates overall optic quality in terms of clarity, brightness and eye relief.

4 Aztec Emerald 5.5-25 x 50 1st Focal Plane Side Focus
3 Aztec Emerald 5.5-25 x 50 Side Focus
2 Aztec Emerald 3-18 x 50 Side Focus
8 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3-9 x 40 Side Focus
5 Hawke AirMax EV 4-12 x 50
6 Hawke AirMax 4-12 x 50 AO
11 Centre-Point 3-9 x 40 Mil Dot
7 MTC Viper Pro 3-18 x 50
9 Hawke Sidewinder Pro 8.5-25 x 42
1 Sightron S III SS 6-24 x 50
10 Leapers Accushot 8-32 x 56 Swat

Each of these scopes have something to offer in terms of value, features and performance. I'd say the brightest, clearest and those offering best eye relief of the bunch would be the 3-18 Aztec, Hawke AirMax and little Bushnell Ultra HD. In terms of a simple scope with no side parallax adjustment, Hawke AirMax wins the prize in terms of brightness, clarity, eye relief and field of view, and given the relatively inexpensive new purchase price, these are the best bang-for-the-buck scopes in my collection. However, they both lose points in overall value due to the lack of side focus and limited magnification. The Sidewinder Pro certainly has these features, but loses quite a bit of optic quality in comparison to it's simpler brethren. The Sightron is the best scope I own, having everything going for it except price, easily three times the cost of a Viper Pro or Aztec. It's pretty clear from my experience the additional internal workings required to provide a side focus feature, has a very negative impact on clarity, brightness and eye relief, as does high magnification, unless one is prepared to shell out allot of coin.

I apologize if not all brands made the list for this poll, 10 items are the max per post.There are a host of other entry level scopes that certainly qualify. Having perused the offerings of my local Outdoors store, where scopes start at a grand each and go up into 5 or 6 kilobuck range, $500 scopes would seem by comparison, "budget priced", so not to offend those with limited budgets, I kind of set $500 as a median range for scopes in this particular poll, with the far more expensive Sightron SIII SS thrown in for comparison sake.

I have yet to own a Vortex product, but will likely purchase something in the future to give a whirl. as I understand they are also exceptionally good glass for the money.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65
Benjamin Marauder
FX Dreamline
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800
FX Radar Chrony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:58 am 

I could not give an accurate count of the number of scopes I have here. Probably somewhere between 45 and 60. I definitely cannot come up with a list off the top of my head.

The most interesting, and possibly most valuable scope I have is a Ruko marked 4 X tube sight, and it won't be showing up on any b/b poll that I can think of.

My problem weakness is old steel tube scopes, mostly Weaver 1" and 3/4" tubes. They are not the optical equal of a modern quality scope.
I still get a kick out of shooting with my old K-3 60b, but it really does not fit into this discussion...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 am 

Looks like Bushnell and Hawke are running neck and neck!

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65
Benjamin Marauder
FX Dreamline
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800
FX Radar Chrony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 am 

Hawke on my 510 & Ohhunt on my PP700..Next scope will be a Discovery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:31 pm 

I actually chose Leapers first since it probably has a more universal appeal. I presently have two of the 3-12 compact scopes with lighted reticle. I have used it on my pistol FT rig and also on a hunter setup. Very useful mag range, small and very bright. For the price, probably the best I have. Can't remember exactly what I paid for the new one, but somewhere between $100 and $125. Bought one new and one in new condition, but used. Picked the used one up at a steal.

Since I primarily shoot rifle FT, I also chose the Sightron. I have a 10-50 on my TX200SR and it has performed extremely well. Certainly a niche interest in such a scope, but in comparing it to the price of a March, S&B, Kahles and a couple of others, it is a great deal.