Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:04 pm 

Just picked up a 2289G in new condition for $18.00.....Does anyone know if this gun is considered a rifle or pistol in CANADA....on the box it says it can be "converted to a pistol" so should I assume its sold as a rifle.....if so its power mod time....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:08 pm 

Pistol. Its like the 2250, they said it was a carbine. But law it's a pistol.

Found this on the site.

Quote:
Okay, since this question has been bothering me I called the CFC and was put through to their so-called "verifier" section. After looking it up the gentleman there said that if the .22 cal 2289G strayed over 500 fps then it is classed as a restricted weapon. I asked specifically if that meant it was in the FRT as a handgun and he replied yes. FWIW, I can't believe it is actually listed in the FRT period as it is normally classed as a non-firearm. Doesn't the FRT list only firearms ? But, even if he was not entirely correct (never can tell how proficient some of them are interpreting the regulations, etc.) then it would make sense that there is a better than even chance that one would be in possession of a restricted handgun if the gun strayed over 500 fps with normal weight pellets. The fact that he was not immediately familiar with the model but was able to reference it quickly as a pistol weighs heavily in favour of the 2289 actually being designated as a pistol by the powers that be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:19 pm 

Darn...okay,,,I'll bring it up to 495 with ten.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm 

As I recall the 2250 was not made for Canada but the 2289G was. As the barrel is quite long and it was intended to remain a rifle it was allowed up here. With factory valve and hammer setup they do about 450 fps so totally legal as non-PAL. Best to just enjoy it as it is and $18 is crazy cheap!! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 pm 

Yes...maybe I'll leave well enough alone.....bought it with original pkg...maybe 20 shots through it from an old timer neighbor that I was helping to post things on kijiji and he mentioned he had a Crosman something or other in the back of the closet that he never uses and said I could have it for $20.00....I only had $18.00 on me at the time...lol...nice surprise though....nice guns these 2289s...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

Found this on the site.

Quote:
Okay, since this question has been bothering me I called the CFC and was put through to their so-called "verifier" section. After looking it up the gentleman there said that if the .22 cal 2289G strayed over 500 fps then it is classed as a restricted weapon. I asked specifically if that meant it was in the FRT as a handgun and he replied yes. FWIW, I can't believe it is actually listed in the FRT period as it is normally classed as a non-firearm. Doesn't the FRT list only firearms ? But, even if he was not entirely correct (never can tell how proficient some of them are interpreting the regulations, etc.) then it would make sense that there is a better than even chance that one would be in possession of a restricted handgun if the gun strayed over 500 fps with normal weight pellets. The fact that he was not immediately familiar with the model but was able to reference it quickly as a pistol weighs heavily in favour of the 2289 actually being designated as a pistol by the powers that be.

Oh happy days, It is, indeed, classified as a pistol, not a carbine. Today, there is no such thing as a "non-firearm;" they are "non-regulated firearms" as they are sold. Put it over 500 FPS and you have a pistol shooting over 500 FPS: a restricted firearm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Found this on the site.

Quote:

Oh happy days, It is, indeed, classified as a pistol, not a carbine. Today, there is no such thing as a "non-firearm;" they are "non-regulated firearms" as they are sold. Put it over 500 FPS and you have a pistol shooting over 500 FPS: a restricted firearm.

Frustrating as I wanted to build a 2260 but they are only classed and Pal rifle... So will be ordering a smooth tube 2260 (unmarked therefore no pal rules apply), so it will be a sub 500 2260 type carbine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:08 am 

Interesting....Crosman calls the 2289G a rifle...hmmmm.
https://www.crosman.com/discover/crosma ... duct-dates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 am 

walther wrote:
Frustrating as I wanted to build a 2260 but they are only classed and Pal rifle... So will be ordering a smooth tube 2260 (unmarked therefore no pal rules apply), so it will be a sub 500 2260 type carbine.

Doesn't matter smooth tube or not. It's still a 2260 main tube. But seems like nobody really bothers, or cares. Ive seen Sub 500 FPS Discovery's.

MyCrosman wrote:

Yes, but they also say it can be turned into a pistol. And you can do so without any tools. So with the pistol grip on and the barrel length. It doesn't even meet the requirement of a Non Restricted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:41 am 

What do you guys mean when you say 2260 smooth tube?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am 

leadslinger wrote:
walther wrote:

Doesn't matter smooth tube or not. It's still a 2260 main tube. But seems like nobody really bothers, or cares. Ive seen Sub 500 FPS Discovery's.

According to a post from R sterne using smooth tube makes the builder "the manufacturer" so a smooth tube in a 2260 length would allow you to have a sub pal 2260. It's the manufacturer markings that they base there rating decisions on..

MyCrosman wrote:

Yes, but they also say it can be turned into a pistol. And you can do so without any tools. So with the pistol grip on and the barrel length. It doesn't even meet the requirement of a Non Restricted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 am 

tazz wrote:
What do you guys mean when you say 2260 smooth tube?

A smooth tube is an aftermarket main tube ie not made by crosman. ie Don Cothran or alliance hobby tubes. They also are stronger since they have not steel stamping weakening the walls. "for pcp use"
RCMP use ing the "lawyer lettering" printed or stamped on the tubes for classifying arguns. If you use a smooth tube then you become the manufacturer and as such get to decide its designation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 am 

Well....if Crosman calls the 2289g a rifle on their website and calls it a rifle on the box....I'll go with that..... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm 

Thanks Walther.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:21 pm 

walther wrote:

According to a post from R sterne using smooth tube makes the builder "the manufacturer" so a smooth tube in a 2260 length would allow you to have a sub pal 2260. It's the manufacturer markings that they base there rating decisions on..

Bob uses smooth tubes, because they are thicker walled. Than the new stamped with a longer list of safety warnings.

MyCrosman wrote:
Well....if Crosman calls the 2289g a rifle on their website and calls it a rifle on the box....I'll go with that..... :D

Ignorance is not an excuse. Someone called the CFP and asked. They said it was a restricted over 500, with a FRT #. So doesn't matter what Crosman says. Its listed in Canada as a handgun. And Canada laws is what you follow.