Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:27 am 

Got one of these in from Wes B.

I did not waste any time getting out to the gravel pit for a first shake-down run. First time I've done that in a long time~ outdoor test the same day it arrives :lol:

2nd shot out of the gun at 1500 PSI. No curve there, just a straight nose-dive. Where have I seen this before :wink:

I worked my way up to 2800 PSI in incremental stages~ 200 PSI increase at a time. That seems to be the beginning edge of the curve there:

Crosman 7.9 gr. silhouette-F/T domes

1.) 854.9

2.) 866.6

3.) 868.1

4.) 874.1

5.) 868.4

6,) 869.7

7.) 869.4

8.) 867.1

9.) 861.5

10.) 860.1

11.) 857.0

12.) 851.0

13.) 846.9

14.) 841.1

15.) 828.4

For hunting precision purposes, I decided to call it a string there at shot 15. Surprisingly flat.

Went to 3000 PSI just for the "what if", and got a bit steeper of a curve over a 20 shot string from 827.1 to 808.7 with a high of 866.3 fps.

I slipped the rear sight onto the bbl. band just for a quick look at what can be expected. At 20 yds off-hand kneeling I was keeping them all with in a 1 1/2" circle which is very good for me and my eyesight. I expect the gun to do well with reasonable optics aboard.

I have not done a clean and tear down yet. That will be sometime later this week, I hope. The gun is spraying oil clouds down-range. Looking forward to getting into the valve and cleaning it out, and getting the sticky grease preservative out of the bore, and off the exterior metal.

As is, the rifle is a nice light-weight Adult Sized carbine. I am sorely tempted to mount the little Spike 3-12 on it. I like that very fine Mil-dot reticle in it...

Considering backing off half a coil on the hammer spring by cutting to tame the rifle down a bit, even if it means a minor loss of velocity. I would like to end up with an every-day working pressure around the 2600 PSI mark...

More to follow as I find time to shoot and post.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:21 am 

Thanks for sharing! It's amazing the performance it gets with such a restricted port. I can see why the detuned LR700W comes with such a microscopic hole. =)
I agree, a few coils off the spring should give you a little less power, but quite a few more consistent shots.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:21 pm 

Sweet , If had better shoulders or a pump I would have gone pcp too. I love my rifle so much fun to shoot and mod.
There is some barrel droop which makes it awkward for optics, I recommend a 2nd barrel band as far forward as you can get it if you scope it.
And clean the gunk out:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:32 am 

It doesn't appear I am going to have trouble with droop. At 20 yds with the rear iron down as low it will go, it's printing about 2 1/2" high...

There it is with the old Weaver K-3 aboard~ ready for accuracy testing, which will come later this week....

I am quite "pumped" over this little rifle! :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:09 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
It doesn't appear I am going to have trouble with droop. At 20 yds with the rear iron down as low it will go, it's printing about 2 1/2" high...

There it is with the old Weaver K-3 aboard~ ready for accuracy testing, which will come later this week....

-D.S.

When using the iron sights droop is immaterial since the both sights are on the barrel plane , scoping it is when the droop shows up and makes it wierd to sight in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 am 

walther wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

When using the iron sights droop is immaterial since the both sights are on the barrel plane , scoping it is when the droop shows up and makes it wierd to sight in.
I recommend a second barrel band too!

通过我的 ALP-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 am 

Well, ahem....

No issues with droop, at least with the K-3 aboard. I didn't even have to zero it. Scope had been last on my artemis .177 pumper, and zero's are oh so close. Old K-3 is very close to the midway point on the elevation dial, so I have no concerns there. Printing a bit high for 12 M. I had the pumper sighted in for 20 yds...

12 Meters with the K-3 aboard and the Crosman 7.9 gr Silhouette-F/T domes, on a single bbl band.

Shot at lower left is me at 6 paces just making sure the scope is on the paper. Flyer at left is me getting dialed into the new to me trigger. 7 Shots total- that's five just above and to the right of the 10X spot :mrgreen:

I had ordered in an airmega air dryer filter from Wes with the rifle.
Tried it on the downstream side of the pump, and the enlarged volume added a bit to the pump count. Got some bits of brass together and made an adapter to get it on the proper (?) upstream side of the hill pump....

Since it's on the upstream side with relatively low pressure, I really didn't have to force any of the fittings together. Did go the Teflon tape route though. I don't want water vapor sneaking in around overly loose fittings.

I am more than pleased and happy with this little carbine. Edging on ecstatic :P :roll:

I know what's hitting the early season grouse trail with me this fall!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 am 

One last look for a while....

Couple bad boys here :mrgreen:

The 4-12 X 40 A/O Legend doesn't quite work here.
I had it on the AR-2078-A in a 20 minute mount, which unfortunately does not fit on the Snowpeak/Artemis breeches.

I ended up putting one of my 3-9X A/O Discovery scopes on it. They zero easily at 20 yds.

Incidentally, shot count has gone up considerably after fixing a minor leak at the gauge adapter. 45 shots took me from 200 bar down to 170 bar, which is still eminently usable...

Bbl on the PCP is considerably shorter than the pumper version.
The PCP bbl really bites deep groove marks on the heads of the crosman 7.9 gr Silhouette/F-T domes...

Had a minor glitch with the 9 shot mag. The last shot wasn't making it into chambering position. I backed off a tiny hair on the tensioning screw, and feed is now flawless.

The pumper and PCP bbl bands are different. The pumper has a single cross-screw, while the PCP version has 2...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:42 am 

Looking good! The new batch of barrel bands that came have those two bolts. Glad it's shooting well for you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am 

Tried the Predator shorts in it, and got results much improved over the previous attempt with the longer pumper .177 cal. bbl.

15 yards. Most of the spread on this group was wind driven. Very un-predictable gusts today.

I can hit the brass on spent 12 ga. hulls from 10-25 yds quite reliably with this set up from off-hand kneeling.

That is a very good combination of gun and scope- the PCP and Discovery 3-9 X 40 A/O.

I am going to have to buy some blue Loctite to secure the bolt handle in it's threads.

I'm hoping the next report on this rifle will show some taken game....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:07 am 

Very good!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:42 am 

It wants to shoot the predator shorts. 8.02 gr at about 830 fps in heavy gusting winds. 15 yds. Gun was down to 110 bar at this point. 200 bar is dead zero for 15 yds.

Still have to work out the curve a bit. Actual dispersion is smaller than what appears in the photo. That is less than 1/4" difference in p.o.i.

Interestingly, there's hold under required at 35 yds :mrgreen: Again, it isn't much, less than 1/2".

I am going to have to get the rifle out of the wind somehow. I'd like to get final windage setting, and leave it as is...

The grouse and rabbits are in for a bit of a shock this fall...

3/8" particle board backing the stick on target. Managed to pick one predator out of the semi-rotted stump back-stop.

Pile o' mashed short predators went into less than 1/4" CTC...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:53 am 

Glad to see you enjoying it! For those that like hunting, these are just superb, nice and light, and in 177, gives a great shot count for power, and in 22, with the regulator, also gets a surprising shot count for such a small tube!

Happy shooting!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:28 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
The grouse and rabbits are in for a bit of a shock this fall...
Pile o' mashed short predators went into less than 1/4" CTC...

Nice tight shooting there Doc..!
I hope to pick up some of your bushcraft this fall in my pursuit of small game.
I am a great cook, but new to hunting, so I can use all the help I can get.
I'd be happy to share some recipes/techniques in exchange of any help you can offer
me in Hunting Forum here.

Nice to see another Artemis success story here..!

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:11 am 

Finally got it out for the first hunt of the season.

No shooting opportunity yet~ the barometer can't seem to make up it's mind...
Tons of deer, but that's all. Grouse and rabbits are all snoozing.

The short carbine length handles better than I thought it would, especially in the thick willows. I am going to get a set of swivel studs for it so's I can sling her up for the really long hikes.

-D.S.