Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:28 am 

Just got email notification from Canada Post, my chrony is 'out for delivery'... Need to hurry back home to wait.m for the postman, otherwise have to pick it up tomorrow....

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 am 

Alright ~ I got mine!
It's just so tiny and as big as my mouse...
May not have time to play with it today. Just checked it around and nice to see it has the threaded hole to attach to a tri-pod!Image

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:44 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Weather hasn't been all that great lately for some outdoor Benchrest FT, but finally got out today with the FX Radar Chrony and latest version of the recently updated companion App (V 1.233). A few noteworthy enhancements include the addition of a second data readout line, units of which may be selected in the settings section of the app. Options include FPS, KMPH, Joules, MPH, MPS and FT Pounds. Once selected, both lines of data are displayed with each shot, so one can instantly see for example, velocity and energy on each shot simultaneously (energy calculated by velocity and pellet weight, the latter of which is manually entered in that particular airgun profile).

Average, High and Low Velocities have also been added to the display, as well as Spread, Standard Deviation and Shot Count.

A very good start in terms of adding basic features; hopefully more will be added as the software is developed. Unfortunately the app still has the annoying characteristic of not retaining previous shot strings or a wireless connection to the hardware when exited -one must reconnect each time the app is closed and reopened, or a profile is changed. There is currently no method of storing previous shot strings or sending data via email directly from the app -shot strings must be copied to clipboard, and then pasted to your email app for transmission.

A fine calibration function has also been added, with the presumption one has a second highly accurate Chronograph as a reference unit.

In terms of consistent readings, my unit rarely misses a beat -as long as you have the appropriate velocity range selected, shot after shot is detected and displayed -I've had no problems whatsoever in barrel placement / consistent measurements.

I still believe this is by far the best Bang-For-The-Buck Chrony out there at the moment. BTW, a US seller has them listed on eBay for $265 plus shipping via USPS, for anyone who is still in want for one.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:35 pm 

The Android version I have right now is v1.3.

I didn't see the second line of reading but only the last 10 readings on the screen. But you always can check the full list with date and time of every reading it recorded at any time.

And in the V1.3 Android version, I never lost readings, it will keep everything whatever you disconnect / reconnect the unit, power down or anything, until you delete that profile, it will be saved like forever. And you can use a new profile for your work as you like at anytime.

It's not much useful to use the default profiles as you can't modify the parameters in the default profiles.

As there's never a detail regarding how this unit works been discovered. It's still a secret about its theory and I don't believe what they said in the announcement in the gun show... Too many questions can't be answered by their talks after I have it and been using it for a while... However I don't have the other Chrony in hand can prove my FX is not in good working order. And in deed, it works very well on some of my guns...

And forget about anything else, all in all, its best sale point is convenience!! Nothing in the market can provide the similar convenience that the FX Radar pocket Chrony can provide. Just like a sub 500 SSP pistol vs a .30 FX Dreamline... You are still shooting pop cans?!

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:39 pm 

And still one thing not that convenient, without connected to the unit, you can do nothing with the app.

So, even if you just wants to check the shot string after your shower and on the bed, you have to bring your cellphone downstairs again and connect it to the unit first...

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 pm 

Just a heads up I've got 4 coming, 3 already sold, lol, so only one left for grabs =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:50 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Just a heads up I've got 4 coming, 3 already sold, lol, so only one left for grabs =)

Not keeping one for yourself?

通过我的 ALP-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 pm 

Personally, I like the FX for convenience and function. However, it appeared to be less accurate. I will be getting a Chinese chrony soon from China. When I get a chance, will do a 4 chrony comparison test.

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 pm 

That'll be a cool comparison =)
I've got two chinese ones now and I like them both. The one goes on the muzzle and has wifi to send info to phone. Very cheap to buy but needs some upgrades to give fps on phone and ft/lbs. The other one has a stand and is strictly mps and joules. Both never hardly have an error.
I would love an fx one though! Great for out in the field shooting at the range. Maybe someday!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:05 pm 

I have the Caldwell, FX, Acetech and what appeared to be the Chinese copy of the Caldwell. FX and Caldwell are the most expensive.

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:35 pm 

I wonder if a future update could possibly include down range velocity? The radar should make that possible shouldn't it? I actually thought this one did that until looking closer at the reviews today.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:55 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
I wonder if a future update could possibly include down range velocity? The radar should make that possible shouldn't it? I actually thought this one did that until looking closer at the reviews today.

Yeah, I thought it should until I tried and found it can't... And this is the first time I have questions about the technology the FX uses on this Chrony...

And it's not working on blow back BB guns... And I don't have a blow back pellet guns to test now as my P250 was just sold... However I don't think BB or pellet makes the difference but the blow back dies... Just like another question, why we have to put it under the barrel to test the stuff flys a couple inches away ...

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 am 

I’ve had mine for just a couple of days. I got to try it out yesterday briefly with three different springer rifles and one pcp.

I’m very happy with it. It didn’t miss a single shot. I found the results were consistent with my last chrony results as well. Even if it were out 2% that makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

It’s small, portable, seems reliable. The app has all the basic functions. What I love most is no more fiddling with lighting. That used to take up half my setup time trying to get it just right.

Overall very happy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
tom_ke888 wrote:
Personally, I like the FX for convenience and function. However, it appeared to be less accurate. I will be getting a Chinese chrony soon from China. When I get a chance, will do a 4 chrony comparison test.

Hey guys,

I believe the theory of operation of the FX Radar Chronograph is well documented. The unit creates a radar "bubble" a few feet out from the transmitter, which takes multiple positional samples of the projectile and then computes velocity. It's clear the unit was never designed for down range measurements like the Labradar.

I regards to accuracy, my FX stood up well against my C E Pro Chrono Deluxe, one of the most accurate Chronys out there. In this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbKqI0dwhg, it also stands up well against a Labradar, probably the most accurate Chronograph on the market.

I'm still trying to comprehend the rationale and assumption that measurement differences between the FX Radar and an alternate Chronograph mean the FX unit is the one that is faulty -I'd have to see simultaneous tests between multiple Chronographs to make that conclusion and, don't forget the moment a projectile leaves the barrel it starts to slow down, so it stands to reason even under those test conditions, there will be differences as the pellet travels over each test instrument. I kind of have my doubts a Chinese made Chronograph is going to be more accurate than the FX, but again, how can one assume the other Chronograph is dead accurate anyways? I put my faith in the FX Radar based on comparisons made with my Pro Chrono and, the Youtube Video matching the FX Pocket Radar against the much more expensive LabRadar. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

For certain the FX Chrony isn't perfect, but I've yet to posses the perfect air gun. Convenience and Bang for the buck however, pretty tough to beat IMHO. Finally, at the end of the day, I repeat the question, how accurate does a Chronograph actually have to be to be in order to serve as a useful tool?

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:06 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
tom_ke888 wrote:

Hey guys,

I believe the theory of operation of the FX Radar Chronograph is well documented. The unit creates a radar "bubble" a few feet out from the transmitter, which takes multiple positional samples of the projectile and then computes velocity. It's clear the unit was never designed for down range measurements like the Labradar.

I regards to accuracy, my FX stood up well against my C E Pro Chrono Deluxe, one of the most accurate Chronys out there. In this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbKqI0dwhg, it also stands up well against a Labradar, probably the most accurate Chronograph on the market.

I'm still trying to comprehend the rationale and assumption that measurement differences between the FX Radar and an alternate Chronograph mean the FX unit is the one that is faulty -I'd have to see simultaneous tests between multiple Chronographs to make that conclusion and, don't forget the moment a projectile leaves the barrel it starts to slow down, so it stands to reason even under those test conditions, there will be differences as the pellet travels over each test instrument. I kind of have my doubts a Chinese made Chronograph is going to be more accurate than the FX, but again, how can one assume the other Chronograph is dead accurate anyways? I put my faith in the FX Radar based on comparisons made with my Pro Chrono and, the Youtube Video matching the FX Pocket Radar against the much more expensive LabRadar. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

For certain the FX Chrony isn't perfect, but I've yet to posses the perfect air gun. Convenience and Bang for the buck however, pretty tough to beat IMHO. Finally, at the end of the day, I repeat the question, how accurate does a Chronograph actually have to be to be in order to serve as a useful tool?

Cheers!

Avianmanor
Hi all,

Claimed accuracy for any brand of radar does not mean your particular unit is accurate.

I have used radar guns before when I used to work for TTC. It came with tuning fork for calibration before use. Unfortunately, none of our chronies came with such option.

My assumption that my FX appeared to be less accurate was based on the fact that my previous two chronies (Acetech and Caldwell) read similarly while the FX always read 2-3% lower than the other two. When I get my fouth Chrony, I will try it against the others and post the results for people to judge for themselves.

Interestingly, I think all my chronies regardless of brands are all from China/Taiwan.[emoji12]

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4