Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:13 am 

I'm curious what the inflicting damage would be if one would be shot with a BB or Pellet pistol (all rated under 500fps) at say 4 yards. Is there literature/data out there that would describe how much damage would it to to a person? I"m thinking it would pierce the skin to some degree....can't imagine the pain level as well.

Just got me wondering the other day as I see all the manufacture warning labels on the boxes and manuals.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 am 

You mean a shot in the eye ball?! Or in the throat when you accidentally open the mouth? Or on the neck right at the aorta?? Or into the ear?? That hurts (KILLS).......

If in that close and using pointed pellets, I shot a piece of pork which mostly is fat that I cut off from a big piece, it looks can penetrate into more than 1/2 inch.... So pls take the warning wording serious...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:11 am 

Hi YepYep!

Oh! I would think for sure that a shot anywhere to the vulnerable areas in the head would be not good news. I guess I was thinking more of the hand, arms and chest area.....I suppose I can find a piece of pork chop or steak and see what happens :)

YepYep wrote:
You mean a shot in the eye ball?! Or in the throat when you accidentally open the mouth? Or on the neck right at the aorta?? Or into the ear?? That hurts (KILLS).......

If in that close and using pointed pellets, I shot a piece of pork which mostly is fat that I cut off from a big piece, it looks can penetrate into more than 1/2 inch.... So pls take the warning wording serious...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:17 am 

[emoji38]

Waiting for your result ~ I didn't mean to do a serious experiment last time, so didn't record anything and just a little memory in my head...

And I think that would be a huge difference when the musle is in relax mode or holding up tightly... But I pretty sure it can get into the skin... 4 yards, 5 yards just too close, and the energy on the pellet would be as high as 5, 6fpe?

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:01 am 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7175470

Here is a study

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 am 

In my youth I was hit about .75cm beside my left eye inside towards the nose with 177 ~500 fps air rifle. Pellet flattened on the bone and was difficult to remove. Quite the thud feeling on impact. That was at 50+ yards. Young and stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 am 

rob g wrote:

Here is a study

Well done, Rob- very interesting.

" Caliber .177 air gun pellets weighing 8.25 grains required a minimum velocity of 101 m/s (331 ft/s) to perforate skin. The energy per area of presentation ratio E/a was 1:86 m X kg/cm2. Caliber .22 air gun pellets weighing 16.5 grains needed a minimum velocity of 75 m/s (245 ft/s). The E/a was 1:3 m X kg/cm2. A round nose, caliber .38 lead bullet weighing 113 grains perforated skin at 58 m/s (191 ft/s). The E/a was 1.95 m X kg/cm2."

Thus, the lighter the projectile, the more velocity required to penetrate the skin (human- lower extremities)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:45 pm 

Yes, don't recommend it. you will need help to get it out or surgery. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:03 pm 

Thank you Rob for sharing the link! Interesting detail for sure.

I won't be conducting any of my own tests :)

rob g wrote:

Here is a study

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:05 pm 

I wouldn't say accidently..But I got shot with a BB gun..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:12 pm 

Thanks for sharing. I hope you were okay!!

That was at about 50yards, so if it was a lot closer...well.......thankfully not.

jckstrthmghty wrote:
In my youth I was hit about .75cm beside my left eye inside towards the nose with 177 ~500 fps air rifle. Pellet flattened on the bone and was difficult to remove. Quite the thud feeling on impact. That was at 50+ yards. Young and stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 pm 

Yipes that was too close for comfort to the eye there! 50 yards that is pretty amazing it had that much bite to it left.

Well, embarrassing to say but I shot myself with a Crosman 1322, right in the finger! Trouble was, mine had a long barrel on it and I was so used to holding it with my hand over the end of the foregrip. I was testing my dad's out with a scope and like a dummy I just ended slipping my hand onto the same spot, only his barrel ended right there and I stuck my finger over the end of the barrel. Now you all know how bright I am, lol, shows having a masters degree doesn't mean much!
I blasted my finger and the pellet lodged against the bone. Spent quite a few hours with the Dr, he never could get it all out, so I've got a lump of lead still stuck in there. Didn't break my finger though, gladly.
Cheers for lucky dummies!
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:56 pm 

BBKen wrote:

That was at about 50yards, so if it was a lot closer...well.......thankfully not.

jckstrthmghty wrote:

Chalk mine up to young and stupid. We used to shoot each other with mustard seed, with some TP wadding in my old Crosman 2100. Well one day there was a BB. Got me in the back. But Ive caught ricochets a few times, just broke the skin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:03 pm 

don't mess with BB or pellet guns there not toys, i'm sure everyone is well aware...dah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKuO6_4Tuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbKnWYnU5ZM
this story was posted a while back...stupid punks.... :evil:
https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/barrie-man-le ... -1.4213973

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:19 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
BBKen wrote:

jckstrthmghty wrote:

Chalk mine up to young and stupid. We used to shoot each other with mustard seed, with some TP wadding in my old Crosman 2100. Well one day there was a BB. Got me in the back. But Ive caught ricochets a few times, just broke the skin.

Mustard seed huh....

We used wadcutters and bbs...pellet gun "wars" were a thing growing up. Stupid..you bet. Have dug out a few, but nothing was ever so deep a pocket knife couldn't be used...usually the skirt was still exposed. Have also had an air rifle dart in my back.

Slavia 630 w/Crosman wadcutter @~10yrds is stopped by a cotton tshirt, but leaves a bloody welt and 2.5" bruise that lasts for a couple weeks.

At the time, it didn't seem any worse than anything else we did...bled more working with barbed wire fences. No bubble wrap for the kids on a farm.

Not advocating it, and wouldn't do it again. It was stupid.

Al