Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana Trailscout
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:09 pm 

I decided to take out a Trailscout and see how it works. Pretty slick little rifle!

Charging: You slide one cartridge in nose first then the second the opposite way, then stick in the little piercing adapter and finally slide another in nose first. After that you tighten the end cap on with the cam lever pulled down. This allows tightening all the way without piercing the cartridge and wasting air. As you can see in the pic, the end cap has an oring on the end of the threads up against the cap outer area. This I suppose was designed to save the oring, since in contrast to a pcp, a person needs to thread the cap off quite often. So the oring never has to turn across threads like most pcp. But it also means that unlike a Qb78 they needed to keep the cartridge from piercing until the cap was completely threaded on. The Cam lever is free turning and does not help you tighten on the cap. I found out the only way I could get the cap on all the way was to use a hex key in the grub screw holes in the cap, as otherwise the oring is still exposed and will blow out on you. 8)
This changed after switching cartridges on the second go around. It seems the oring had squished enough to allow me to tighten it right up by hand.
Attachment:
IMG_20191002_175343-800x600.jpg
IMG_20191002_175343-800x600.jpg [ 92.77 KiB | Viewed 4088 times ]

ImageImage

Velocity: The gun was topping out in the 430's so I did a little tuning on it and was able to get it shooting where it should, in the 490's. I'll further test this with 3 cartridges to see if it tops out any higher.

Shot count: I never did do a 3 cartridge shot count, so that will have to come later. One disadvantage of this gun is that if you only want to use one cartridge you won't get that many shots, since the one cartridge will have to fill the entire tube and so much co2 ends up wasted. It will be much more efficient with three cartridges I believe. It only got around 20 shots before starting to drop, once I had tuned it up to 495fps. Remember, this is with one cartridge filling all the empty spaces in the tube. Further testing with three to come!
Noise level: The gun is nice and quiet! This comes from the design of the valve with an extremely short valve stem which means the valve closes very quickly after firing, making for an efficient and quiet gun.

Trigger: The trigger is very nice out of the box, with a nice first stage coming up to a crisp second stage without any noticeable creep. I felt it was perfect for me out of the box. The 1st and second stage are externally adjustable with a small flat screwdriver. See pics.
ImageImage
Incidentally, this trigger could easily be stuck in the CR600W, only needing to replace the one pin on the CR600W with two grub screws to allow the one adjustment screw to reach the sear.

Stock and weight: the synthetic gun is very nice and grippy to hold. The foregrip is quite narrow at only 1 1/4 "! The weight is very light. Without cartridges and only the end cap it is 4.6lbs. And with three full cartridge it is 4.93lbs.
With the wood stock it's weight is less at 4.73lb with 3 full cartridge. As you can see in the picture, the wood stock is a little shorter in the foregrip, which gives room for an extra barrel band, like many put on the Stormrider.
It also is a bit wider in the foregrip, which might be more comfortable for those with bigger hands.
The bolt handle is quite nice, with 2 orings on it for grip and a nice sized handle.

Magazine: the Trailscout uses the same 7 shot in 22 and 9 shot in 177 mags as the Stormrider, Bandit, and Chaser, as well as the Artemis CR600W, PP800 and CP1 guns. This is a great thing for Snowpeak/Diana gun lovers, giving you many mags to work with as you add guns to your collection. It also has a magnetic single shot tray that works great.

Next I'll shoot a 3 cartridge string and post it for you all. Overall I think this gun is a great value and one that will give plenty of enjoyment for years to come!
You can buy the synthetic version here on my site
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/diana-trail ... 77-and-22/
Also at airgunsource.ca https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/diana-tr ... 5-fps.html
Wood stock here:
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/diana-trail ... 77-and-22/
Thanks!
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by wesb2007 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Diana Trailscout
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:23 pm 

Nice review!!

8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:28 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 pm 

X2! :D
Please add a topic website link (a link to the firearm to which you are referring) to these very informative posts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 pm 

Done 8) thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:20 pm 

They look great !
Are you going to be bringing in extra triggers? ;)

How long are the barrels?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm 

Thanks, I'm hoping to get some triggers for the CR600W pcp and CO2 as well as the LR700W but it's not for sure yet. I'll update as soon as I know.

The barrels are the same length as the Chaser I think they put the short ones on to keep it under 500fps. 3 cartridges does make a difference in velocity. It upped it around 35fps. So I think these will be fine as they are, stock. =)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:34 pm 

I started a shot string today and never had time to finish it yet. So many shots!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:39 pm 

I got to 150 shots before it dropped to 450fps.
My chronograph reset itself and shot 120 then started over again so I lost most of the string as I accidentally went a couple shots over before recording it all down. Id recorded 60 of the shots and thought it would start recording over the first shots like my other chronograph, but nope it totally resets. Anyway the gun was shooting between 485 and 460 for almost all the string til the last few shots.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:30 pm 

Thats fantastic!
I wonder if the bstaley mod would eek out a few extra.
Although 150 shots is plenty..
Ftom reading online it looks like the chaser barrel is 17.7 inches is that right?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:48 pm 

Yeah, pretty good! Bstaley would probably help a little though it would probably drop the velocity some as well.

I was wrong on the barrel. I measured the wrong one here. It's actually the same length as the original CR600W, 18.1" from tip to where it enters the breech. The Chaser is an inch shorter at least.
Sorry about that.
Wes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:30 pm 

Thanks Wes, this is a very interesting product, and I love to buy the improved trigger if it is available separately.

通过我的 ALP-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:02 pm 

Yes, I'm hoping I can gently twist Julie's arm at snowpeak for some! Air Venturi said if they have any left after their Stormrider recall period they would probably sell me some. But until then they can't. Not sure when that will be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:14 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Yes, I'm hoping I can gently twist Julie's arm at snowpeak for some! Air Venturi said if they have any left after their Stormrider recall period they would probably sell me some. But until then they can't. Not sure when that will be.

Hi Wes,
I wonder if the current trigger can be drilled and tapped for an additional grub screw. Can you take a picture of the triggers side by side?
Thanks,
Tom

通过我的 ALP-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:22 pm 

They definitely could be. It's the same trigger with two threaded holes drilled, and the one pin on the frame is replaced with two grub screws.
I could attempt the mod myself and report back. I've got lots of grub screws. =)