Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Clamp on Vises...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:37 am 

Looks we can run a new topic about the vises as it looks a very essential and good add-on when you need to do some work on your guns...

And maybe this topic is more suitable for the ppl not turning their garage into a work shop (yet) and want to do the job in a spare time occasionally without affecting the lovely wives' daily routine...

leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:
...... Before the vise, I think I need a bench / work table for it to clamp on first... And then a bigger house or garage for the table first?!

Nothing related to a real expert yet~ [emoji38]

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

You can get clamp on vises.. That can clamp on a computer table, kitchen table, counter top ETC. They make life much easier. I lived in an apartment and made myself a little portable bench. Don't need a bigger house, or garage for that.

I just made some online searching... Looks the clamp on vises are usually very small size for maybe 3 to 5 inches... And I think we are going to use them (I think we need two?!) to hold the gun and set your hands free for other tasks... Right?

2240+14" barrel + Discovery 42mm Scope
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

Post subject: Re: Clamp on Vises...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:09 am 

I started with a clamp on carpenter vise, and a wrap of rubber ( mat ) or some soft wood ( to keep from marring ) On a tiny portable job mate work bench. I mounted scopes, and such.. I got it from Princess Auto, but never seen it on the site.

Was like this but had a clamp on it as well..

https://www.amazon.ca/Irwin-226361-2-In ... 152&sr=8-2

If you cannot find a clamp on, just get one and mount it on say a 2x4 with some C clamps. Wider is better, because more contact surface to hold. No need for 2.

Garage got a HD 6" and my basement got a 4" ( with soft jaws ) which does my scope mounting, my general gunsmithing etc. Haven't notice me marring stocks yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 am 

Setup I had before I broke it.. But example of how I hold guns, to work on them, clean etc..

This was how I was holding it, to tune. It was aimed at a pellet trap, and I had the chrony setup ( constant POI, and range ) I didn't have to keep taking the gun down to load. Just remove it to pump up. I don't have a long enough hose.

But I used this.. Before I broke the clamp part off..

Then again, this is what my apartment living room looked liked.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:23 am 

Let me think about it~ want to find something light weight and easy to use...

I can see this type of tools is very useful and convenient when you need to finish a job with more than 2 tools, like cutting my carbon fiber tubes, grinding, polishing, etc... Something there to help you holding the work piece is great!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:27 am 

leadslinger wrote:

I like your fluffy assistant...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 am 

YepYep wrote:
Let me think about it~ want to find something light weight and easy to use...

I can see this type of tools is very useful and convenient when you need to finish a job with more than 2 tools, like cutting my carbon fiber tubes, grinding, polishing, etc... Something there to help you holding the work piece is great!

Well the smaller clamp on ones, are too small and would put pressure points on stocks and such.. I couldn't find the one I used before I broke the clamping mechanism.. I broke it trying to torque on a barrel nut, not holding guns.

Found a similar one to what I had. Bigger 6" clamp on, little more $$ than I remember them being. I think they were like 30$ when I bought it from PA.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eclipse-EWVP6-NA- ... 1119&psc=1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:05 am 

Just gotta get some chunks of 1/2" plywood, stick some felt you can get from the dollar store on. So you can sit on top and bottom of the clamping surface you are putting on the vise. So you don't mar or damage the table, desk you are clamping the vise on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 pm 

This is my bench vise, a 5" version from P. Auto.

Attachments:
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG [ 62.89 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:52 pm 

I use a Tipton gun vise...
https://www.amazon.ca/Tipton-181181-Bes ... 642&sr=8-4

Attachments:
71n3-Eo0MIL._SL1500_.jpg
71n3-Eo0MIL._SL1500_.jpg [ 58.11 KiB | Viewed 85 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 pm 

I have a Tipton Range Vise for my guns. It's cheap and folds up into a very compact size. About a year ago I did buy a small clamp on bench vise from Amazon. It was the Yost Cov 3 I think. I returned it after a couple of weeks because there was a lot of slop because the threaded bar and the two supporting bars run one above the other down the center of the vise, this means that I couldn't hold anything too small as the jaws would end up closing diagonally and the piece wouldn't be held securely.

I returned it and bought the Capri Tools 4 inch bench vice (which admittedly was about five times the price) and I have been very happy with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:39 pm 

MisterJ wrote:
I have a Tipton Range Vise for my guns. It's cheap and folds up into a very compact size. About a year ago I did buy a small clamp on bench vise from Amazon. It was the Yost Cov 3 I think. I returned it after a couple of weeks because there was a lot of slop because the threaded bar and the two supporting bars run one above the other down the center of the vise, this means that I couldn't hold anything too small as the jaws would end up closing diagonally and the piece wouldn't be held securely.

I returned it and bought the Capri Tools 4 inch bench vice (which admittedly was about five times the price) and I have been very happy with it.

I broke a couple months ago a Yost 4.5", one with the jaws/pipe clamp. I was trying to remove a junk barrel off a gun. I upgraded to the more solid 4" w/o the pipe clamp. But seems to be more jittery though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:51 pm 

Skanzy wrote:
It looks this vise really named good as a best vise and convenient to use... Put into my cart now and see if any else is worth investing...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender