Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: scope shooting question.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:23 am 

hi guys. i don,t know much about shooting with scopes. i just started using them and red dots lately because my eyes are going bad. i only have about 20 feet to my targets to shoot. i have a brand new utg bug buster. starts at 3 yds. i put it on my daisy 953 so i could shoot real small targets. well i took the rear sight off. put the smallest mounts i had on it. i,ve got it almost shooting exact center. BUT i have to go up just a touch and i have no --up clicks left-- it,s as far as it will go. what am i doing wrong. i know 20 feet is a short distance. believe me i wish i had more. but i also wish i had the same eyes as i did 30 years ago. thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:05 am 

How high is you scope mounted? The lower you can get it the easier to sight in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 pm 

For shooting close ranges, oft times (with air guns), an angled mount is needed, to hold the scope at an angle to the bore.
some guys simply put a shim under the mount, but that can bend the scope's tube.

D&L sells an angled mount, like this.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/leaper ... ator-mount

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:48 pm 

walther wrote:
How high is you scope mounted? The lower you can get it the easier to sight in.

i dug around in my parts drawer and found the lowest mounts i had. the front of the scope is almost touching the gun probably about 3/16" away from touching. the shots now are almost dead center. but if i had to go any higher at all. i wouldn,t be able to. i might have to try one of the other cheap scopes i have.i wanted to use the bug buster because it,s new. thanks. w.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm 

Daryl wrote:
For shooting close ranges, oft times (with air guns), an angled mount is needed, to hold the scope at an angle to the bore.
some guys simply put a shim under the mount, but that can bend the scope's tube.

D&L sells an angled mount, like this.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/leaper ... ator-mount

hey d. yep that's probably what i would need. but i think i,ll try a few more things before i order anything. thanks. d.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:42 pm 

If run out of upwards adjustment, shouldn't you try a higher profile mount/rings can resolve the problem??

Just move the whole scope upwards for about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and re zero it again, however as the clearance between the scope and the gun is bigger, your focus range is shortened...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

2240+14" barrel + Discovery 42mm Scope
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:21 pm 

Nope it's opposite =). Lowest possible is needed.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:25 pm 

YepYep wrote:
If run out of upwards adjustment, shouldn't you try a higher profile mount/rings can resolve the problem??

Sounds counter intuitive but the closer you are to the target lower scope mounts make it easier to sight in. I always have scopes mounted so low that the flip up scope covers have "just enough room to operate. I also shoot at close range with utg bugbusters indoors this helps alot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:21 pm 

I barely used this scope. I have no idea how it got all the way to no more clicks. but before I stopped shooting tonight. I turned the turret completely backwards. it turned 4 full turns. then I turned it ahead 2 full turns. that would be the halfway point. right. I won,t have another chance to try it again until Monday probably. (because of the neighbours.) should I be able to see the crosshairs move when I turn it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:11 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Nope it's opposite =). Lowest possible is needed.

Isn't that I need to adjust the POI upwards, I adjust the sight upwards?!

And adjusting the scope will be just same as the open sights by turning the top turret counter clockwise to turn it up to release it and let the internal spring to push up the inner tube of the scope?!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm 

Think about it like this. The higher the scope is from the barrel the more down angle you are going to need to get the sight line to intersect with the bullet. If you draw a line on paper and another one above on a slight angle down you'll see that the higher up you draw the second line the farther away it will be before the two lines intersect. He only has 20 feet so he needs his scope as low as possible on the gun on order to get the scope lined up with the bullet.
Cheers,
Wes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 pm 

Yes, I know the theory... Using the lowest possible mount/rings to give a wider usable focus area to use the scope in short distance...

But back to OP's real world case, he can manage to zero the scope at the moment. But the upwards adjustment just ran out.

So, he wants more upwards adjustment.

And imagine, we can offer the scope another 60 mils to going up... So as needed, the OP can keep on turning the scope upwards... Isn't that the physical central eye sight line through the scope is keep on going up, right? If so, doesn't that means we just set the scope upper can give more upwards adjustment.

Or maybe not use a higher profile mount, but just shimming up both rings...

Using high mount for scope and shooting short distance isn't impossible, if you zero it at the dead spot and shoot from the fixed distance always, it can still work... Do you remember the famous scope setting for the izzy 46M?

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender