Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 pm 

I just acquired a .22 Ruger Air magnum.
While I appreciate the fact that the thing can blast through 3/8” plywood...I am having problems with accuracy. I can’t get a consistent grouping - let alone anything in a 3” bullseye at 20 yards. I can get a couple shots tight...but the next is 6-8 inches away in the totally opposite direction. I am no novice to firearms....and am shooting off sandbags through a 3-9x40 Hammers scope. Has anyone any experience with this rifle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:17 pm 

Fastball wrote:
I just acquired a .22 Ruger Air magnum.
While I appreciate the fact that the thing can blast through 3/8” plywood...I am having problems with accuracy. I can’t get a consistent grouping - let alone anything in a 3” bullseye at 20 yards. I can get a couple shots tight...but the next is 6-8 inches away in the totally opposite direction. I am no novice to firearms....and am shooting off sandbags through a 3-9x40 Hammers scope. Has anyone any experience with this rifle?

something is definitely going on there
it shouldn't shoot that much off, i'd do a thorough inspection of the rifle
did you try different pellets ?
also try placing the forestock on the palm of your hand while laying your hand on the bag
see if there is any change...let us know

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:15 pm 

Tried RWS Super H Points 14.2g...then went to the Superdomes. (Same weight)
Was just laying the forestock on the bag as I aimed. Am bringing it back to get a new scope mount replaced. Might just try with the iron sights. Am kinda bummed.
Had a choice between a Benjamin Trail...but it doesn’t have iron sights. And a Diana .48...but that was 600 bucks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 am 

Gunk in the barrel?
Once I cleaned out the grease from my 177 airhawk barrel, it was a shooter with rws superpoints

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:51 am 

The "arms race" in Air Guns has led to very high speed rifles.
As you approach the speed of sound, pellets can become unstable in flight and spiral / curve shots can/do occur.
The Air Magnum is rated for 1000fps in 22 cal (very high for a break barrel gun using lead pellets)

While blasting through sheets of plywood is sexy, your intended purpose of pest control requires accuracy.
You have received good advice on cleaning the barrel.
I think your idea of taking off the scope and trying the iron sights is a good one.
Look into the "Artillery Hold" for shooting magnum spring guns and experiment with the iron sights.
My first break barrel, the Crosman Phantom doesn't push as hard as the Air Magnum, but taught me that focus on how I hold the gun was critical in order to deal with the reverse recoil.

I don't have an Air Magnum, but I would experiment with much heavier pellets 18gr+ to reduce the fps under 900fps
Something like the JSB Jumbo Heavy (18.13gr) and see if that makes for tighter groups.

If you can get the rifle to group well with the iron sights you can then mount the scope and dial it in for your expected pest range.

I hope this helps you tame the beast..!

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:49 am 

Check the screws often - all of them, especially the barrel pivot screws. Hard kicking springers loosen these off quickly.
I prevented that from happening, by using lock-tight on them, giving time for the lock tight to set up before firing the gun
again. That was a Bam28C, seems to me. It still loosened them off after a while - along with destroying a scope, so I gave
the rifle away - to a friend who thought he could make it work. It wasn't too bad for accuracy at 10 meters with 14.43gr.
Crossman HP's, but beyond than, not so good.
For an accurate "P.A.L." springer, I think you have to go Weihrauch or AirArms.
BTW- the H&N 19.09gr. Barracuda Hunter Extreme's are quite accurate in my HW98, in .22.
They are also accurate in my other 2, .22 cal air rifles and 2 air pistols.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:51 pm 

My diana 350 did well with 16 gr jsb at 770 fps,fyi kelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:19 pm 

I’m going in to get the the scope mounts fixed. One of the screws had been perhaps over-tightened and wasn’t grabbing anymore, and had subsequently vibrated out. I will try out some heavier pellets...maybe 18g. I don’t need a ragged half-inch hole at 30 yards...but holy jeez, I can’t even get a consistent 6-inch grouping at 15.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:48 am 

If it has open sights try them standing offhand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 pm 

Fastball wrote:
I’m going in to get the the scope mounts fixed. One of the screws had been perhaps over-tightened and wasn’t grabbing anymore, and had subsequently vibrated out. I will try out some heavier pellets...maybe 18g. I don’t need a ragged half-inch hole at 30 yards...but holy jeez, I can’t even get a consistent 6-inch grouping at 15.

well that would explain things...as others have mentioned if you have open sights then try that first and go from there