Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:25 pm 

....As many of you know, I have a ongoing issue with rats.....I end up shooting at various distances, so I came up with something to check my 'zero' .......I flatten empty toilet paper tubes,....I then draw 'crosshairs' or 'dots' (or pics of Trudeau) on the top and bottom halves,...then cut them in half (crossways) making small square targets,....I then fold a piece of wire coathanger in a square 'U' shape 6 or 7 inches tall and slip the mini target over it (snugly) near the top leaving 2 'legs' to push into the ground.....I place these at the distances I anticipate rats to appear to quickly 'zero' my scope......I never used a scope before but my eyes have made it necessary,....so I use a cheap scope on a 1322 with a 14" barrel and 1399 stock......just thought I'd share a way to keep cheap 'sight in' targets handy that really work, and are kinda fun to make as well......Thumper(west coast.Can)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm 

I wonder how much little stuffed animal rats are on ebay? I have rat troubles too btw, lost many hours sleep saying up late trying to get those bastards.
Fyi; attached is my version of mini targets. This is kinda fuzzy due to the posting size limit, but I can send the full rez if you/anyone. They're sized to print out on std paper and I have them from one single large target, or 6, 12, 20, 30 etc on up to this one at 80 targets. If you/anyone has any interest I can upload a bunch to a temporary link or email them directly.
I was picturing you cutting it up and taping the individual targets around the yard. Maybe bamboo skewers to stake em in the ground? Shoot, now I wanna do it....
I'm having some luck w/ my P17 pistol simply b/c it's of little value so i actually keep it handy. Now when I hear one it's only seconds till I'm ready. A pistol is also handy when rooting thru the bushes where a long barrel I'd have to pull it back and re-insert, if ya know what I mean. If I go out for a serious hunt I have both a rifle and a pistol.

Attachments:
80 Airgun Target.jpg
80 Airgun Target.jpg [ 735.25 KiB | Viewed 2559 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:13 pm 

..I have a whole library of different targets from the 'thomas girling' sight years ago.....I believe you can find them on other sights as well.......I used my P17 to 'dispatch' many (many) rats from my kitchen window and set a personal record of 12 in 2 (maybe 3) days on the ceiling vapour barrier in my shop before the drywall went up (ugly job removing them) ....The 1322 was a beater my son found for me, I was curious just what I could do with it, so I came up with something to 'reach out' a bit further with some force....and it truly does that .....Thumper (west coast, Can.)..........rat country......" craftygeek.uk " has a good selection of the 'girling' targets on pdf ....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:24 pm 

They do have some nice targets. Thanks for sharing that, I'll pass it along. I made mine b/c I couldn't find any I liked, and those I considered acceptable sucked down the very expensive printer ink. So I made ones that used very little, like the one below. The red ones like my previous post were requested by others, I prefer the gray.
I dunno if you guys have Gophers, but those are another problem where I live. Those you do in the day and you pretty much have to sit and watch the grass/weeds. You'll look for a head poppin up or grass moving. I really liked how my friend did it; he used a tractor to scoop up a huge area fulla fresh holes, then I watched as he dumped it out. Also tried Gopher bombs, w/ little luck, same with traps. Tried my own mix of gas which worked better but a pita to make. Tried flooding which rarely works. My fav is filling w/ flammable gas or gunpowder, which I don't know how well it works but it's waaay more fun. Oh, and those stupid ultra sonic stakes that work great at parting you from your $.
Same with rats, nothing works but cats and guns.... Best of luck w/ yer vermin killin!

Attachments:
1+ gray.jpg
1+ gray.jpg [ 138.8 KiB | Viewed 2483 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm 

...I will print a target (or get my son to put on a "stick?")....then go to Staples (office supply) and have up to 50 printed off.....That gives me the best contrast ever with solid black blacks....(if it's not right 'cause their 'toner' is low, they redo them free )........The best part is that it's cheaper than buying ink cartridges and, like I say, printed far better..... I always back my targets with cereal box cardboard using paperclips and this gives me nice clean holes .....I'm on an island (Vancouver Island) off the west coast of Canada...not much in the way of gophers (groundhogs ?) but I've been told the grey squirrels are on the island now and are moving north.....I did blow up an ant hill once using copious amounts of black powder...it just kept pouring down the hole and when I decided enough was enough and touched it off , the charge blew up in my face and cratered the lawn....It's one of my wife's favourite home movies...lol ....I wouldn't try this on gopher holes,...unless you're Bill Murray ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:41 pm 

Awesome black powder story! Love it! Gophers are like miniature ground hogs, like 4-6" long. They make little tunnels all over the yard with waste dirt piles everywhere. Super annoying. Black is a favorite to use but I doubt it'll kill them unless maybe they're right there in it? but it's very satisfying. I have a bunch of waterproof fuse so i can put the powder way down deep with the fuse, bury it and stomp on it, lite and wait. You hear a dull thump and ~a square meter of dirt/lawn rises a bit and falls, then that same area smokes fera bit. The store bought smoke bombs suck, probably some bs legal limitation. Home brew work, just kinda a pain to make.
Then there's CO generators where people will will take an old whatever engine and run it cold n rich to make CO and pump the exhaust into the hole(s). I guess that works best but it takes all the fun out.

Are you saying you had no Gray squirrels on the island before this? I'm having trouble believing that choice squirrel territory existed for millions of years and they never found a way out there... Well, at least since the last ice age, but still. Interesting... Then of course man no doubt screwed that up, like we did to Hawaii, New Zealand and the idiot that brought rabbits to AU. Agent Smith in the Matrix said it best; "You humans are a virus."

Good ideal about having someone else print targets since they charge by the sheet, not the ink. I believe I suddenly need to print out a ton of "important" documents at work ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 pm 

...Yeah, when I worked at Canada Post I had access to a real good printer....I always made sure they had it well stocked with paper and toner (it only printed in B&W) ....When I was rebuilding vintage carburetors I could copy the diagram from a manual and enlarge it, very convenient .....Grey squirrels are an invasive species west of the Rockies here (as they are in Britain)....they are now common in the Vancouver area and I know one member who hunts them in his neighbourhood....We had a discussion a year or so ago and he informed me they had made it to the Island, ....I think black squirrels must be native as there have always been plenty around, altho' not in my area ( Comox Valley)......I do watch a lot of British airgun you-tube posts on pest control (they can't have firearms,...pity).....You said it best when you said, " takes all the fun out of it".....Why not enjoy pest control ? ....Where else will you find a constant supply of "bio-reactive" targets ? ,....just sayin' , eh ......( btw, ...I didn't know gophers and groundhogs were different,....thanks for that )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:28 pm 

http://www.targetz.com is another good target downloading site.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:36 pm 

thumper wrote:
..Grey squirrels are an invasive species west of the Rockies here (as they are in Britain)....they are now common in the Vancouver area and I know one member who hunts them in his neighbourhood....We had a discussion a year or so ago and he informed me they had made it to the Island, ....I think black squirrels must be native as there have always been plenty around, altho' not in my area ( Comox Valley))

Sorry to break it to you but grey squirrels are not an invasive species. They have have always been here they just prefer urban enviroments whereas red squirrels prefer forests. They different food and shelter preferences.

Grey squirrels are designated as Schedule C animals by the B.C. government and can only be trapped and released within short distances.
Black and grey squirrels are the same animal with two colour phases.
http://cwf-fcf.org/en/resources/encyclo ... OEQAvD_BwE

Here is a great resource for hunting in BC
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland ... .htmCheers:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:00 pm 

The Invasive Species Council of B.C. identifies the Grey Squirrel as "one of seven mammals among the 173 invasive species identified by the Garry Oak Ecosystem Recovery Team (GOERT) as a species of concern to Garry oak and associated ecosystems."
https://bcinvasives.ca/invasive-species/identify/invasive-animals/eastern-grey-squirrel

The BC Government has issued an Alert for Grey Squirrels
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/envir ... _alert.pdf

The Lower Mainland Environmental Stewardship Lists the Grey Squirrel as "Schedule C"
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/wildlife/species/species_lists.htm

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC. Schedule "C" birds may be hunted using electronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C" wildlife:
(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
(b) Rana clamitans - green frog
(c) all species of the family Chelydridae - snapping turtles
(d) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
(e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
(f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
(g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
(h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels
(i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
(j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

You must obey all hunting rules and municiple bylaws when hunting the "Grey Menace", but it's Open Season...

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 pm 

Thanks Chevota. I like that one. Nice and crisp. Bought seven nice 17 X17cm pellet traps and hard to find targets so I made a template in Corel Photo Paint and make my own on card stock. This pistol Target makes number 20 and everything from single, five spot, games right on up to an entire Zombie family. Printer ink is super cheap on Amazon. Buy my stock HP cartridges is $150 each and My Laser printer takes 4 of them. On Amazon I get all 4 cartridges for $75. My printer runs targets daily. Likely have targets to last me 20 years. Two and a half years of collecting. Make targets, build traps as much as I shoot my weapons in my indoor arcade. :lol: