Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:34 pm 

I received my new HW80 and put a nice 3-12x44 Discovery scope.
I’ve been reading that new spring air rifles need time to ‘break in’ before they start shooting more silent and more accurate.
So far I’ve only shot about 100 pellets.

I have the following pellets that I'm shooting and were recommended as good for my rifle:
JSB MATCH DIABOLO EXACT .22 CAL, 15.89GR
Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22, 18.10GR

I am anxious to be able to start shooting accurate shots with nice tight groups.
Any suggestions on best way to ‘break in’ rifle … or speed up process … or do I just have to be patient and shoot 1,000 pellets before it ‘breaks in’ ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:22 pm 

Clean the barrel, check if the screws are tight, and then shoot and shoot again.

Last edited by airmec on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:29 pm 

airmec wrote:
Clean the barrel, check if the screws are tight, ant then shoot and shoot again.

That ^^^^, and the rifle doesn't care if you hit anything or not..so to save $ find some cheap pellets and send them downrange as fast as possible.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:39 pm 

Or just take your time and enjoy your shooting experience not worrying about break in. It'll just magically get more accurate along with you as you get more practice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:21 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Or just take your time and enjoy your shooting experience not worrying about break in. It'll just magically get more accurate along with you as you get more practice.
Yes , agreed. Just enjoy your shooting experience and you will find the gun (and you) shoots more and more accurate ~

For cheap price and good value pellets, check your local PA store for the Grizzly pellets, I think they are 14gr, not that heavy but usually in bigger size (feels tight in my guns), can save you a little bit in the break in period....

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 pm 

Loving the new HW80 and scope !

I've shot about 100 more pellets (total of only maybe 200), and this rifle is accurate!
Power, accurate, and relatively silent.
I'm shooting groups of less then 1/2" at 15 yards... I'd say they would be much more tighter if I could shoot better (human error of me not being steady, not the rifle).
I'm shooting at paper targets in the yard and squirrels not to far away aren't even scared by the sound.

Need to practice holding it steadier... but loving it!
Thank you to those in this forum who helped contribute on making my choice and purchases (you know who you are).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 pm 

Nice to see you are building up a great partnership with your HW80~

About holding the gun steadier, I learned other things from other shooters, some times you don't have to do so, as the timing you pull the trigger and the breathing control plays a more important job in shooting accurately ~

It sounds a bit complicated, but actually just let you practice more, shoot more to find your best way to shoot your gun...

As you only owns and shoots the very one gun, you will be another legendary shooter that own and shoots only one gun... So, just keep shooting ~ ENJOY~ (not like us.... We are not shooters , we are only collectors~ 8-) )

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:49 am 

Took HW80 out for some fun target shooing yesterday and things were off ???
On the week-end I was shooting nice tight groups... accurate shots at 13 yards.
Yesterday, bad grouping and not precise (at 13 yards, same setup as weekend).
I noticed something seemed loose, and after verifying screws on rifle, I noticed most (if not all) were loose.
The gun is new out of the box and I've only shot less then 300 pellets. I have to admit I never checked when taking out of box though...

Is it normal a new HW80 out of box needs tightening of screws (barrel to stock, trigger guard, ...)
I tightened all screws and started to redo my zeroing of scope, which was now off by a few inches.
It's close to zeroed again... later today I hope to go to the shooting range and finalize zeroing at 25 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:27 am 

That's normal.... I think someone else gave friendly reminds about this in the replies on checking the screws from time to time as the power of your gun will loose them easily... And you can try put some Loctite on the screw treads to avoid that happens so often...

As my guns are sub 500, so I don't see this (yet), I am not sure the below blue Loctite will be good for this job... Anyone chime in pls?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/loct ... p.html#srp

Happy shooting ~ the loose screws mean your gun has real power! (I want mines can loose the screws too, however they can only loose the small ones on the scopes due to I was afraid of over tightening them...)

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:13 am 

As Yep-Yep posted, Loctite Threadlocker Blue works and is what I used on my HW springers.
The HW98 break-barrel is harder on screw loosening than-is the HW97.
If this does not work, there is always the RED Locktite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:21 am 

Thanks for the suggestion of blue loctite... I will pick some up and try.
Can anyone confirm how tight I should tighten the screws on rifle? Should I use a torque wrench with adjustable in-lb torque like I did for the scope mounts (tightened those at 18 in-lb)?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:12 am 

I would use a torque wrench to tighten down screws in the stock and others . If you don’t have any locktite I small piece of electrical tape on the threads works also .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:55 pm 

How many inch/pounds do you tighten them?