Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:46 pm 

I know electric pumps are now popular, and the hand pumps have been around for a while. What do you recommend for a handpump from these 3?

1.)AIR VENTURI G7S HAND PUMP, 4500 PSI
CA$179.99

2.)Benjamin® High Pressure Hand Pump Universal PCP
$229.08 to 278.00... can find this online for 229.

3.)chinese hand pump, are these any good? what ones can you recommend?
Airgun archery fun has 2 different listed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:57 pm 

I'd bet all of those listed are Chinese made.
Anyhow, I'd say they are pretty much all the same. I have had a Benjamin pump for about 6 years, never given any trouble. But, you must attach an air drying filter to the inlet to ensure it stays dry inside and you don't get moisture in your PCP guns.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:20 pm 

My best recommendations for a hand-pump is don't get a hand-pump.

Look for paintball, diving shops or fire fighter equipment in your area and get a carbon fiber bottle. Sooooo much easier, more shooting time, less pumping time.

I got the Hatsan pump when I got my first PCP and after a while I realised that I was shooting less because it was a pain to pump.
I was getting around 4 mags out of a fill. I would shoot my 4 mags, pump the rifle back up and put it away because I didn't want to pump again.

Let me ask you this, would you ride a bike if you had to stop and air up the tires every half kilometres? And pumping up a PCP is a LOT harder than pumping up tires.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:01 pm 

I use a paint ball store in Hamilton, consider another bottle or even a larger one. Depending on the pcp c02 is another option, hand pumps would be my last resort.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:36 am 

I think it depends a lot on the gun. The Artemis PCP I sell gets 150 shots at 500fps with only a few pumps. It's the perfect hand pump gun. So is a Beeman Chief at a 2000psi fill. But an Artemis M11 or any bottle gun is no fun to fill at all.

I realize I'm not really credible in giving my opinion, since I sell them, but if you look on the GTA forum you'll see page after page of guys praising the cheap Chinese pumps over their Benjamin or other name brand pumps. Not because they are better but because they are mostly just as good and better than some for a fraction of the price.

Getting a carbon fiber bottle is a great idea if you're close to a scuba or paintball shop, though they can be terrible expensive for DOT approved ones. Firestations are often upgrading their tanks, you might get one dirt cheap from there with a few years life left on it. I just picked up a used 6.8l nice and cheap that has 5 years left on it.
The New Warrior Compressor is as cheap or cheaper than a carbon fiber 3l bottle and is a nice portable option too. Depends what you like and what your needs are.
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:37 am 

I'm very new to air guns, but recently bought a PCP pistol and handpump from Wes (the 4 stage), and I would second what Wes commented, I think it depends a lot on the gun. My pistol took practically nothing to fill, and a handful of pumps in between shooting to top back up. For that application I can't imagine it would be any easier to use something else. Obviously a larger reservoir would be different. For the price of the Chinese pumps, it made PCP within my budget range, which wouldn't have been possible with more expensive (and intimidating) options for someone like me just starting out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:49 am 

A very simple math and quick question...

How much effort I would expect using a hand pump to fill a PP700, like how many pumps etc... Hmm... Using a regular 3 stage pump?!

The PP700 is a pistol and with 65cc tube for filling pressure at 220bar/3200psi... And it's good for around 100 shots then...

And I heard that after filling up the tube, actually if I didn't finish shooting the air out, it can be just left there?!

For a new potential PCP guns owners, I doubt we would invest too much in accessories. The money would be good for another gun rather than for a pump and connectors...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:38 pm 

Hill, easy to rebuild. No matter what you buy, you'll have to rebuild it at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:01 pm 

I’ll echo what others are saying and hand pumping is fine for some airguns but not others. I use a hill mk4 for pumping an Artemis cr600w (storm rider), aa s410 tdr and a .25 cal marauder and I’ll tell you pumping the Artemis is easy and fast, the tdr is okay but the marauder sucks to the point I question why I’m doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:04 pm 

YepYep wrote:
A very simple math and quick question...

How much effort I would expect using a hand pump to fill a PP700, like how many pumps etc... Hmm... Using a regular 3 stage pump?!

The PP700 is a pistol and with 65cc tube for filling pressure at 220bar/3200psi... And it's good for around 100 shots then...

And I heard that after filling up the tube, actually if I didn't finish shooting the air out, it can be just left there?!

For a new potential PCP guns owners, I doubt we would invest too much in accessories. The money would be good for another gun rather than for a pump and connectors...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

The pressure-volume graph for air is fairly straight up to 200 BAR. If your pump stroke is 200 cc's it'll take you 65 pumps to go from 0 to 200 BAR in theory - add a few pumps to that for the air you bleed out of the pump / hose (waste) at the end.

On my 10m pistol (50 cc cylinder) it takes right around 13 pumps to get from 100 to 150 BAR (in addition to 5 pumps to bring the pump from 0 to 100 BAR); super easy and I get 3 shots per pump roughly. If you don't shoot much or if you use predominantly lower powered guns, pumping is pretty easy and effortless. On my pistol I rarely go over 150 BAR because I usually don't shoot a lot in 1 sitting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:18 pm 

Yep that's the nice thing with the pp700 is its regulated so you don't need to fill it all the way to 3200psi. But it's small enough cylinder that filling it all the way is really easy even for out of shape guys like me 8)
As for the PP700SA, I'd recommend grabbing one from Raman as these may end up being the last we ever see in Canada the way CBSA was talking. For the price and performance you get, they are superb in my opinion 8).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 pm 

Td85 wrote:
I know electric pumps are now popular, and the hand pumps have been around for a while. What do you recommend for a handpump from these 3?

1.)AIR VENTURI G7S HAND PUMP, 4500 PSI
CA$179.99

2.)Benjamin® High Pressure Hand Pump Universal PCP
$229.08 to 278.00... can find this online for 229.

3.)chinese hand pump, are these any good? what ones can you recommend?
Airgun archery fun has 2 different listed.

Where are you from? I'm not using mine anymore, you can have it for cheap but shipping it would cost prohibitive as it's quite large and heavy.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
As for the PP700SA, I'd recommend grabbing one from Raman as these may end up being the last we ever see in Canada the way CBSA was talking. For the price and performance you get, they are superb in my opinion 8).

Oh no seriously ? Why?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:45 pm 

I may be wrong on that, I hope I am and we'll get more. Things are getting tougher at the border and tougher to get approved as exempt as well with the firearms program, especially pistols.