Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:46 am 

I’m wondering what scopes have been rated for, or are proven to be successful on spring guns.

I’m looking for exceptional optical quality as a primary requirement. I’ve tried, and have, Hawke scopes and find them ok. Decent build quality and they function well. The optical quality I find to be good but not what I’d call great. None of them are super clear, I find them all just a touch fuzzy.

I’ve used UTG scopes, they were hit or miss, but none were great optically, most pretty clear dead center but moving just off center started to blur noticeably.

The Bushnell scopes were probably the most consistent and most have been quite good. If no other options come up I’ll probably go this route again.

The clearest scope I’ve owned is a Sightron. 10 yards out to 50, it’s super clear. I’ve just had mixed info in whether they’re actually ok to use on a spring gun or not. I know they say they’d Airgun approved but not sure that applies to spring guns. I don’t really want to drop $1000 on a scope to find it failing on a springer then not have any warranty coverage.

The scope would be used on a mild mannered rifle, either on a Fwb 300s, which is not in fact recoilless. It feels recoilless to the shooter but still has the forward/backward spring action imparted to the scope. Not magnum kick though. Or, the scope would go onto a tuned 12ft lb hw77.

Is there a scope out there that is optically excellent that can be safely used in a springer?

Walther Lever, FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:40 am 

I see a lot of FT shooters with the older Nikon efr scopes installed . I personally don’t have any experience with them . Then there’s the Leuopold , I don’t remember the model .
I would definitely stay with etched glass reticle .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 am 

I find it interesting you think that hawke have a fuzzy glass. They’re one of the more clear glass options that I’ve researched for springer rated scopes. This is the first time anyone has said they were fuzzy that I’ve found.

Hawke have springer rated airmax scopes. They all have a lifetime warranty as well, if it loses its zero, send it in. This is what I was told by Tyler Patner from pyramyd air.

I’m moving away from my springer and upgrading to a pcp.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 am 

Check out Discovery from airgun archery, its so far the best features for money compare to the other brand, and Wes will take care of you for the warranty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 am 

Leupolds are Springer rated and a couple have AO's with close focal range. The higher end stuff, near $1k or more, I'm not aware of any that are specifically Springer rated, as the number of people using Scopes in that price range and application is likely miniscule.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:04 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hey Ryan,

Second to the optical quality of my Sightron, would be the three Aztec Optics I currently own -super clear and very bright at a fraction of the Sightron price. Might be worth watching a few YouTube reviews.

Cheers,

Aaron

*Air Arms S510 Extra*FX Streamline*Daystate Huntsman*Hatsan BT65*Benjamin Marauder*FX Dreamline*Cometa Orion*Weihrauch HW100S*QB78D 875 FPS*Brocock Concept*Artemis PP700S-A*Diana Chaser*Snowpeak CP1-M*Artemis PP800*FX Radar*Kral Puncher*Artemis M11*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:49 am 

replicacanada wrote:
I find it interesting you think that hawke have a fuzzy glass. They’re one of the more clear glass options that I’ve researched for springer rated scopes. This is the first time anyone has said they were fuzzy that I’ve found.

Hawke have springer rated airmax scopes. They all have a lifetime warranty as well, if it loses its zero, send it in. This is what I was told by Tyler Patner from pyramyd air.

I’m moving away from my springer and upgrading to a pcp.

Maybe fuzzy isn’t the best terminology... likely the best way to describe it is standard definition vs hd quality. The Hawke is good, but definitely not crystal clear.
The Sightron I have in comparison is what I’d call hd, super clear at all powers.

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:52 pm 

LEUPOLD fxr series,lifetime warranty ,Canadian repair center ,light weight and parrallax adjust to 10 yds,kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 pm 

I would second the DISCOVERY series as being very impressed with quality and features. I've seen a couple of 'torture testing' Youtubes and they stand the test.
An airgun chap in the USA (see below link) has done some interesting 'comparaison' tests and he has given kudos to DISCOVERY. I have 2 and so far, impressed. Yet I must admit I've never dropped 1k for a piece of glass to fit over an equivalent costing airgun since I really don't need that level of 'distinct quality' when shooting out to more or less 25 yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8do34E5O50
Once there...he does have other vid's in the Channel that challenge and compare different models...and yes...including Hawke.

Hawk-i

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 pm 

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. While I was researching the Discovery scopes, and Leupold options I found a Bushnell Elite on sale. Focuses down to 10 yards, is extremely sharp and bright. Might not have the “cool” factor some of the newer scopes have. But, it’s a proven line of scopes, and I have another that I’ve been very impressed with. I guess I was hoping fir something different and interesting, but ended up going the trued and true road (for me).

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hey Ryan,

Second to the optical quality of my Sightron, would be the three Aztec Optics I currently own -super clear and very bright at a fraction of the Sightron price. Might be worth watching a few YouTube reviews.

Cheers,

Aaron

My only sorry with the Aztec models is everyone days at higher magnifications the image becomes dark and noticeably hazy. Has that been your experience? I’d try one if you feel they’re clear all the way up they’re zoom range as I trust your opinion!

Other goodies!