Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 am 

I’m contemplating clearing out a number of higher end rifles to fund the purchase of one top of the line gun.
I’m torn between the ability to go to the safes and take turns with a few different guns versus having far fewer options but having one “ultimate” gun, with just a couple of others for a little variety. Several of the rifles I’m considering were not too easy to find and don’t come up for sale too often.

I’m considering letting go a Feinwerkbau 601, a Feinwerkbau 300s, a Walther Lever Action, the HW77 special edition laminate that was just taken off the chopping block that garnered a lot of interest, an Air Arms S510 carbine, maybe even my new Dreamline in Aeron FT stock.

Maybe even a couple of powder burners, a Chiappa little badger, and 9mm Beretta Storm.

Am I silly for even thinking this? Will I regret doing this as there will be not turning back once they start to go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 am 

fishguy wrote:
I’m torn between the ability to go to the safes and take turns with a few different guns versus having far fewer options but having one “ultimate” gun, with just a couple of others for a little variety. Several of the rifles I’m considering were not too easy to find and don’t come up for sale too often.

I find that even with a full safe, you normally go back to one or two favorites the most. Is it worth having the rest just for the sake of having them?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:18 am 

You might want to get the "ultimate" rifle first and see if it is what you really want before parting with old favourites. The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:47 am 

rob g wrote:
You might want to get the "ultimate" rifle first and see if it is what you really want before parting with old favourites. The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there lol

Fortunately airguns are not like girlfriends, we csn keep as nany as we like even when we do find "the one". However, they are a bit like girlfriends because "the one" is expensive. Fishguy, I did just what you are contemplating, I have only 5 and thats plenty to keep me satisfied. Of course there are regrets, but ultimately I know it was the right decision.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 am 

rob g wrote:

I’d love to, but they’re special order and we’re talking several thousand dollars so I don’t think I’d be “approved” for shelling out that kind of money without selling several off first.
I’d love to try one out first but there are no brick and mortar stores that I’m aware of near me that would stock these guns.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
rob g wrote:

Fortunately airguns are not like girlfriends, we csn keep as nany as we like even when we do find "the one". However, they are a bit like girlfriends because "the one" is expensive. Fishguy, I did just what you are contemplating, I have only 5 and thats plenty to keep me satisfied. Of course there are regrets, but ultimately I know it was the right decision.

Very interesting that we ended up at the same crossroads. I too would be paring myself down to 6 or 7 rifles.

And I have also noticed that while I might bright them all out to play at times, there are definitely those that get a lot more shooting time, and I think would be the ones that would stay.

There might just be a few guns going up for sale this weekend... decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:35 am 

I use like to use the Golf Analogy. I used to be a very active white water kayaker , in ww there are lot of different paddling disciplines. Big water paddling, creeking, surfing, rodeo, squirtboating , playboating river running etc.
In the end I figure out what I would be doing most and went from there. Ended up with a big water boat that surfed really well, a squirt boat , a low water playboat and a ocean specific surf kayak. The ultimate quiver.
When I had PB's and competed in ipsc , I chose cz75 after building a 45acp racegun as the cz just pointed so naturally, and with my fine tuned reloads was untouchable in accuracy , even for bullseye (annoyed a lot people who had bough fancy new beretta 92's) that a military surplus 9mm was better in every way...
Imo figure out each niche and fill it.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:40 pm 

walther wrote:
I use like to use the Golf Analogy. I used to be a very active white water kayaker , in ww there are lot of different paddling disciplines. Big water paddling, creeking, surfing, rodeo, squirtboating , playboating river running etc.
In the end I figure out what I would be doing most and went from there. Ended up with a big water boat that surfed really well, a squirt boat , a low water playboat and a ocean specific surf kayak. The ultimate quiver.
When I had PB's and competed in ipsc , I chose cz75 after building a 45acp racegun as the cz just pointed so naturally, and with my fine tuned reloads was untouchable in accuracy , even for bullseye (annoyed a lot people who had bough fancy new beretta 92's) that a military surplus 9mm was better in every way...
Imo figure out each niche and fill it.
Cheers

Interesting analogy, thank you for the thoughts. Very true.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:26 pm 

I have recently started thinning out , or so I thought . Traded a pistol for a rifle then all hell broke loose . Now I have just finished making deals on three rifles replacing the three that I just got rid of . I basically replaced my Turkish collection for a German collection .

I have “my “ ultimate gun and could get rid of two more rifles , just not sure I want to .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:59 pm 

Just curious...
What is the subject “ultimate” gun?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:01 pm 

vitalymezh wrote:
Just curious...

I’ve had a few guys asking. I’m looking at an Anschutz 9015 One, field target version.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:13 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
I have recently started thinning out , or so I thought . Traded a pistol for a rifle then all hell broke loose . Now I have just finished making deals on three rifles replacing the three that I just got rid of . I basically replaced my Turkish collection for a German collection .

I have “my “ ultimate gun and could get rid of two more rifles , just not sure I want to .

I’ve ended up in the same cycle myself. Thought I’d cleared out a bunch to make room, only to find I’d somehow replaced most of them pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:24 pm 

fishguy wrote:
vitalymezh wrote:
Just curious...

I’ve had a few guys asking. I’m looking at an Anschutz 9015 One, field target version.

wow....getting serious 8) :tonqe:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 pm 

After some thought and input from others here, I’ve decided to go the route of listing some guns to raise the funds for the Anschutz.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:15 pm 

fishguy wrote:
vitalymezh wrote:
Just curious...

Ok, now the situation is more clear :shock:

I would keep the FWB and HW...
two reasons:
This new type of "skeleton" guns not look attractive aesthetically for me (not looks like a guns at all), but this question of taste of course.

But my concern is on a long term period, while HW and FWB are proven to be a life time items good for heritage, what is the future of this PCP monsters? Will they become obsolete in 10 or 20 years because of cylinder age? What airguns community think about it?