Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Barrel twists
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:44 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Ravenairgun wrote:
Pretty sure thats because they each have a diffrent barrel twist (rifiling twist) and matching the pellet with the rifle twist gives you supreme accuracy just wondering how do you match them

Bob knows a thing or two about airguns. But you can have same gun, same barrel, but made on different machines, and give a different results. You can have 2 barrels made at a different time, on same machine and have different results, due to tooling wearing down, or different stock.

Only real positive method is just picking up pellets and finding out what shoots the most. Like a bunch others said. Also everybody shoots slightly different. So I can have the same pellets, barrel, gun as Bob and Ill get a different results.

Personally I never really heard much about matching pellets to rifle twist. In fact this post is the first one.

leadslinger wrote:
Personally I never really heard much about matching pellets to rifle twist. In fact this post is the first one.

Yeah, never heard about that either, And I was thinking this would be a very nice way to avoid the painful pellet contest and pickup the right pellet at the time you buy the gun...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 pm 

YepYep wrote:
nice way to avoid the painful pellet contest and pickup the right pellet at the time you buy the gun...

Painful? That is something I look forward to with every new acquisition.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:21 pm 

Did you find when you bring out a gun that you believe already found a prefect pellet for it,.but end up you need to re do the process again?? And found out it looks like something else a little bit better....

And right now I looks only have 'acceptable' pellets for a gun, not the only prefect one, but maybe 2 or 3 pellets are found shoots well in that gun, and not bother to have to find out the prefect one... It looks this can give me more fun in focus at shooting targets only but not switching pellets...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:26 pm 

Heres a video explaining barrel twists im just not 100% how he acculy measures it. Whay do you guys get from it?
https://youtu.be/FayOz96iOH8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:49 pm 

Not much.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 pm 

Hey still somthing intreasting to be aware of and save some money on useles pellets seems like a barrel with some kind of choke for the pellet helps stabelize the ones that dont fit your barrel properly with its twist rate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:15 am 

Yes, a choke can help poor fitting pellets shoot better....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:58 am 

YepYep wrote:
Yeah, never heard about that either, And I was thinking this would be a very nice way to avoid the painful pellet contest and pickup the right pellet at the time you buy the gun...

But whats the fun in that?

Only Powder Burners, and precision rifles. I worry about matching bullets with the twist rate. But even then it's trial and error. I have buddies in long range, they will shoot the same barrel, same cal, but different action, and they might have a slight difference in their reloads. Some may want a little, or more powder, some want a deeper seating bullet. All a personal pref.

Airguns, I'm just a kid in a Candy store, and pick one of those, and one of those, oooh I take one of those.. I do that with 22LR as well.

You wouldn't be able to pick a pellet based on a twist rate. Like H&R pellets are harder lead then say Grizzlys or JSB.. Wouldn't shoot the same. Why matching pellets weight to twist rate is something, only T&A is going to solve.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am 

I don't ever believe we can get the prefect pellet for the twist rate info without hands on shooting them to try out... however I thought about that for a little while when I read the twist rate things the first time before...

I want if we can matching the twist rate to avoid wasting time and effort on the unnecessary trials...

Actually we can get lots of info on this from the experience from other shooters and no need to consider the complicated twist rate....

Did you ask somebody else this question before : ' any one suggest a good pellet for this ***** gun?' lot of ppl would be glad to help and share their experience... So you can just find and try the a few suggestions and find one you like...

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:33 am 

I find pellets extreamly inconssistant in size even with premium brand they really vary in size and should be measured diffrent i even found a .77 pellet in a tin of .22s once crossman premiers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 am 

Also depends on your shooting level. Someone that shoots 10m national competition with a 2K gun, their accuracy acceptable level is going to be different then one shooting in the backyard with a 200$ gun.

My acceptable is a ragged hole at 20M, like a dime or nickel size. Some it may be too big. Am I going to run out and buy super $$$ pellets? Nope.

Raven I wouldn't say Crosman are a premium brand. They're higher end entry level.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
I find pellets extreamly inconssistant in size even with premium brand they really vary in size and should be measured diffrent i even found a .77 pellet in a tin of .22s once crossman premiers

Really? You found a 10 bore (.77") pellet in a box of .22's?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:28 pm 

Ya was like wtf its like every 4th pellet is shaped too small almost falls through the chamber into the barrel and acculy found a 177 in a tin of .22s (pointed ones) the hollows are alright shoot prety good but the consistancy of there pellets is kind of bad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:40 pm 

One thing I have not seen mentioned here, is properly seating pellets. I have a close personal friend who made us both brass seating tools. We have both found that when using his seating tool, you can actually hear the pellet click into place, particularly when using 4.51 or 4.52 pellets. We both agree seating the pellets helps to improve the accuracy of our guns, and are now doing it on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 pm 

It's nice your guns are responding to seating the pellets with a tool. I did a test with a pellet seater in my HW98 using Barracuda Hunter Extremes (It's favourite) and the accuracy
diminished from just seating them thumb flush with the breech. Depends on the gun & pellet, I must assume.
Raven - that video was not useful at all. The rate of twist is what it is and you simply need to find what pellet the gun wants. There is no formula I am aware of, for figuring pellet length to rifling twist.
Cheap Crossman pellets are likely not THE ones for your gun. It is hard to go wrong with JSB's. Some guns prefer H&H's or RWS or AArms. Some guns will shoot Crossman Pellets in a satisfactory manner (but not the best) & many don't. I found in most of my .22 cal. guns, the Crossman pellets were larger or harder than JSB's, RWS and H&N's with the Crossman pellets not even coming close
in accuracy to any of the others mentioned.